F8 exhaust options. GPF delete | Page 3 | FerrariChat

F8 exhaust options. GPF delete

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by LMH, May 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #51 Shadowfax, Jul 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    Sounds very positive cpiguy! Maybe these pressure sensors aren't nearly as sensitive as what was previously made out! I think something had to give with F8 sounding so lame and a working controller will certainly be a great start. Have you checked Forza out? 2,500 sounds a lot for a controller.

I also read where Tag was saying Novitec assures their system worked without issue as well so it's shaping up that the previous advice I received from our guru Ferrari tech was bad information. Otherwise it could be a case where Ferrari's electronics have again failed to provide the very fail-safes they had installed into the system. Funny.....but typical i suppose.

The other interesting thing I heard recently from a Pista owner I know who has the 200 cel high flow cats and Kline is that he assures there has been no CEL from the high flow cats. So this also means the pressure sensor upstream isn't as efficient in detecting changes in pulse and pressure as what was made out. Maybe there is the opportunity to get rid of the gpf entirely and use some 200 high flows...change out the muffler etc. I wonder if Kline has anything for F8 yet. Their large X uses valves and mufflers so it would still give you a quieter mode.

2. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    I think the Novitec HFC system sounds terrific. It cost about $20k installed here. I’ve decided to buy the remote valve kit for $1500 installed and call it a day. I also don’t want the warranty risk. I’ll keep you posted.

3. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

When you say pinned , how ? Shadowfax has said F8 the actuators are electronically controlled and variable position opening. So pinned doesn't mean like on the 488GTB disconnect the air supply. You should find out how they pinned them or did they just disconnect the electrical signal to the values. This for sure would throw a code

4. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Yep and any 488 GTB / SPIDER PRE 02/2019 get and oil change and filter every year :)

5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    This is certainly was what I was told but it's now all looking to be either bad info or just another example of Ferrari's electronic wizardry failing all intents and purposes. So on that score if the fail-safes have failed then Ferrari has inadvertently given F8 owners a monumental lucky break by allowing them to recover what was a tragic situation (sound-wise).

ferrarifanatic25 likes this.
  6. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Maybe ? But either way even if they are able to be opened the GPF will also have an effect.

7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    If the fail-safes don't work and there is no negative affect on the engine then that opens the door to get rid of the GPF entirely. You could always still maintain the operation of the valves by using a valve controller and change the muffler and pipe out for better stuff (large Inconel X etc). I know what I'd be doing. It would be bye bye GPF and stock muffler for starters.

8. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    This is very interesting and if the valve controler works ill definitely go that way when my F8 finally arrives, I can't see many people wanting to void new car warranty when the F8 has not been out for that long

9. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #59 Dicecal, Jul 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    With the 488 Pista, Ferrari included the means to sense if the vacuum control valves were in the position that the ECU believed they should be. This is probably based on sensing if the electrical circuit’s impedance is within a prescribed range. In prior models, the ECU would only check to see if the circuit was open or closed and that much easier to override. So I’m assuming the F8 controller circuitry keeps the impedance within the prescribed range regardless of the actual valve position or slight pressure changes.

One problem with leaving the valves always open for “sound”, there will probably be a small performance penalty (low end torque, perhaps?) under certain conditions where the ECU wants the valves to be closed. It would be interesting to do a dyno analysis to see the effects of the valves being open all the time.

MANDALAY likes this.
  10. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Please do. I will buy immediately if it works ok for you.

11. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I would feel a performance reduction on acceleration from low rpm on my 458 with valves constantly open so I imagine it will be the same with any other system but probably on this system more so then the 458

12. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #62 Shadowfax, Jul 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    Not so. It is more likely that the 458 with valves open will manifest a more noticeable drop in power than a 488 with valves held open. The 488 engine will not lose power, only response.

458 being naturally aspirated, opening the valves at lower rpms removes the optimum backpressure environment required for optimum scavenging, so power would certainly be less than if the valves were left under the ECU's control. No question about that.

On a Turbo engine it's the opposite where less back-pressure is desirable. However, with Ferrari's turbocharger set up the valves are incorporated into the overall design which provides optimum turbo response = less lag and improved linearity etc.

On a dyno it would be very unlikely to find a reduction in power if the valves were being held open manually on the 488 engine. The measure here is turbo response and boost recovery time during on and off throttle particularly at lower engine rpms. This would unlikely manifest a loss of power on a dyno chart.

Caeruleus11 and PTG1 like this.
  13. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Thanks for the info

14. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    Capristo controller installed and working beautifully. Will take it for a run this morning. I’ll let everyone know how it goes this afternoon.

Mb5000, FLU, LMH and 7 others like this.
  15. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Awesome, can you post a video of switching between the two please?

16. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    It’s official, I just did a 30 minute aggressive drive with the valves open, and no CEL!!! It sounds great. I know it doesn’t make much sense, but sounds better throughout the entire rpm range, but especially at the lower rpms. You even get a few pops here and there that I never heard with them closed. Also, definitely doesn’t affect performance. Car is just crazy. I wish I could get the tires to hook up. When you look at how wide my rears are, it’s shocking how easily they break loose.

FLU, SECRET, anishka and 4 others like this.
  17. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    Here's a couple of clips. Need decent speakers.

C50, PTG1 and Shadowfax like this.
  18. Jwootson

Jwootson Rookie

Feb 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    justin wootson
    What’s the rattling noise in both videos?

19. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    No idea. Don’t hear it in the car.

20. Jwootson

Jwootson Rookie

Feb 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    justin wootson
    I’ve been following this thread to see how the controller performed and that’s the only drawback I see. If that rattle is something on the car or maybe just some feedback on the camera. Sounds good other than that. Looks like a solid option to correct the quiet exhaust on the F8.

21. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Looks like a good result cpiguy. The valve controller certainly makes enough of a difference to make the exercise worthwhile. I still can't understand why Ferrari doesn't offer a button on the console like Porsche. Could only be cost related looking at what little they offer on the car without options. The fact you were able to use a controller also indicts Ferrari's claimed fail safes are the best part of useless. Funny really but not surprising.

SECRET likes this.
  22. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    Definitely not a silver bullet...

SECRET likes this.
  23. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Thanks so much for posting

SECRET likes this.
  24. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I think it is just the mechanical noise of the flap opening nothing to be worried about

SECRET likes this.
  25. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I'd say you'll need to change the muffler out and get rid of the gpf before you get close to where you need to be. I thought F8 sounded seriously asthmatic even with the valves open at WOT. Its like there is no combustion engine sounds coming out the tailpipes, just a whole lot of forced air....like an LPG gas bottle being opened up.