F8 exhaust options. GPF delete | Page 16 | FerrariChat

F8 exhaust options. GPF delete

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by LMH, May 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Please post a video! Thanks

AD211 likes this.
  2. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I finally had the Forza installed. It works perfectly without throwing up the dreaded Cell. The sound is definitely better , it’s more of a deeper sound. It does make a loud squealing noise when I get heavy on the throttle. I will address this next week with the dealer to figure out what’s going on. I can tell you the sound is much improved so thank you Forza. Best , Kirk.

MANDALAY, Viperjoe and wthensler like this.
  3. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Hey Kirk, that’s good news about the Forza. I should be getting the call soon from FOCF about my F8 Spider order. I’ll be looking to liven it up a little but don’t want to go overboard, e.g., no GPF delete.

Hope you get your issue resolved, and to meet again in the fall. Did you order your 296 Spider yet?

Cigarzman likes this.
  4. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Im sure it’s just some technical glitch somehow. I’ll know more after I speak with the service manager tomorrow.
    And no , I didn’t order a 296 spider yet. I’ll take a hard look when they bring the 296 to the dealer. I’m not sure it’s gonna be my cup of tea. The interior looks small to me , although it’s hard to tell.

BillHartman67 and Viperjoe like this.
  5. haynF8

haynF8 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    Hey Kirk. Any updates on the Forza controller. I was ready to pick up one for my F8 but was waiting to see how everything is going with yours.

Cigarzman likes this.
  6. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

It definitely improved the sound at lower RPM s. I need to take it back to the dealer because when I hit the gas ( leds ) lighting up there is some sort of loud screeching noise. The dealer has installed a bunch with no issues. I totally recommend it. I would only have the F dealer do the install in case there are any issues down the road. Best , Kirk.

7. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    That's an easy fix, leave the passenger seat empty :D

8. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Huge LOL.

JTSE30 likes this.
  9. harrish1985

harrish1985 Formula Junior

Jun 17, 2016
    Miami, FL
    Does anyone know what setup this is?

mdrums and tekaefixe like this.
  10. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Clearly says in the video the car has Ryft exhaust. Looks like catless downpipes and valveless exhaust pipes with no muffler section.

11. harrish1985

Jun 17, 2016
    Miami, FL
    Sorry, I missed that as I wasn't listening to the commentary. Do you know if that setup will void warranty and cause CEL?

12. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    If you swap any exhaust part on this car you will get a CEL, you will have to get a OBD plug in device or tune the ECU to remove the CEL light issues.

13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Sounds the same as other manufactures valveless x pipes. Not really any magic in that.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    If you are "caught", yes it could void your warranty. But some dealers allow it, others don't.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. harrish1985

Jun 17, 2016
    Miami, FL
    Even if you’re simply replacing the muffler??

16. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Not sure that would be worth the effort, but just replacing the center silencer would probably be ok with no CEL.

17. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    The F8 actuators are pneumatic ... same as 488 and 488 Pista. The Roma, SF90, Portofino are servo motor actuators. I expect all new cars are going that route.

Steve

18. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    On normally aspirated cars, some back pressure is desirable at low engine RPM to optimize torque. At high engine RPM, the normally aspirated engine wants to have minimal back pressure. To achieve some degree of back pressure, the exhaust system headers are designed (or should be designed) so that at lower engine RPM there will be a bit of pressure that is achieved at the collector point in the headers. This produces a bit of reverse shock wave that is close enough to the engine exhaust valves to produce the desirable scavenging effect that enhances lower engine RPM torque. This changes at higher engine RPM. When the engine is running at high RPM, back pressure is undesirable. If there is too much, this will impact engine power. Designing exhaust systems is a fine balance between optimizing for torque or power.

The use of exhaust bypass valves when located downstream of the catalytic converts will have minimal effect on the scavenging effect. The reason is that the point of pressure inducement is too far downstream to have any optimal effect on the back pressure to enhance the scavenging of exhaust gases as low engine RPM. As stated above, in order to optimize the scavenging effect, the point where the reverse shock wave needs to be induced is at the headers. In racing engines the placement of flapper valves would be best if it were located at headers ... not the exit point of the exhaust system. Some motorcycles actually have tried this approach to varying the back pressure at the headers themselves to minimize it at high engine RPM and induce it at lower engine RPM. The problem is that the flapper mechanism is subject to heat damage and there has been minimal success with this approach.

The placement of the flapper valves downstream of the headers (e.g., at the silencers) is that any pressure difference that may be created at that point will have minimal to no effect on the ability of the system to scavenge exhaust gases at low engine RPM. However, at high engine RPM, if the valves were forced closed, the increase in back pressure will have an detrimental effect on engine power ... the reason is that at high engine RPM a normally aspirated engine wants to have the lowest possible back pressure throughout the exhaust system to optimize exhaust gas flow and thereby improve high RPM horse power. Back pressure is only desirable at low engine RPM to optimize torque ... and again, only if it is induced upstream of the catalytic converters.

To summarize, the only reason cars include exhaust bypass valves is to provide louder exhaust noise when the vehicle is outside of urban (i.e., lower speed) areas. Now with GPFs on cars, Ferrari (and others) need to check the GPF status. And this can only be done by doing something to determine if the GPF is congested. Pressure sensors in the exhaust system accomplish this. If the car did not have bypass valves, they would have to do this by installing pressure sensors that monitor the difference in pressure upstream and downstream of the GPF. With exhaust bypass valves, they can do it by momentarily opening/closing the bypass valves and measuring the pressure difference upstream of the GPF.

Regards,

Steve

giacobbelaw and Juse like this.
  19. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Congested is associated with upper respiratory (e.g., inlet) maladies. As this is "outlet" related, perhaps you meant constipated.

Disclaimer: I'm a quack, but no MD........

Tech Nerd and Cigarzman like this.
  20. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    LOL. Perhaps a better term would be "obstructed" ...

Cigarzman likes this.
  21. harrish1985

Jun 17, 2016
    Miami, FL
    Is this definitely a Novitec exhaust? Just muffler or the full set up with cat delete?

22. harrish1985

Jun 17, 2016
    Miami, FL
    This is the exhaust video:

Bandit23 likes this.
  23. Bandit23

Bandit23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2016
    Miami
    it is pretty nice exhaust setup they have and the F8 sits really nicely... i like it super aggressive stance

24. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    It's definitely not a Novitec. The construction and welds at the bottom of the X pipe looked my like Ryft to me, but not Novitec.

25. Petrolhead#32

Petrolhead#32 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    I just bought my F8 Tributo. I have read this thread and others in the FChat, and I have to say I'm amazed with 1) the amount of knowledge of the community (thanks once again everyone!), and 2) unfortunately how much there is to discuss and figure out...

One thing is to customize your Ferrari, another is to have so much **** to go through to enjoy it. Personally, I find it all a bit ridiculous. A lux brand that doesn't produce that many cars (11k in 2021) is forced to use all these new particle filters while you still have all sorts of polluters out there... I'm tired of this. Anyways... Different convo.

After reading you all, I think I've made up my mind about it:

1) Can't / won't pretend to match the wonders of my 458 or F355 NA sound. Period. The F8 is a different car, different time, etc. I love the performance improvements, handling, new tech, etc. Take it as it is... mostly. See next points below.
    2) Don't want to mess with the car, nor void warranty (2 more years), nor get in trouble with cops. I just want to enjoy my awesome new tribute to the V8 engine, with fun and confidence.
    3) I'd be pretty happy with its stock exhaust + 'some more'. Again, no need for loud exhausts like many shown on Youtube, and my local Ferrari dealer recommended me the Fabspeed X pipe. They can't install it but if my local mechanic does it, warranty is not voided. Everyone's happy, theoretically.
    4) Also considering the Forza Valve opener. Worked great for me in the 458, wonder how it works for the F8.

So given 1) and 2), what do you guys think about adding 3) and 4) for the next 2 years? Anyone have any media to look at?

Thx in advance for any advice, as usual, much appreciated.

PS: BTW I started this other thread recently. I will provide an update now. But net, net, Ferrari as many of you stated here, won't cover a car that has an iPE exhaust, so I authorized for them to go back to stock.