F8 exhaust options. GPF delete | Page 14 | FerrariChat

F8 exhaust options. GPF delete

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by LMH, May 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    The problem is not with the state you live in or their emissions regulations.

The problem is actually with Ferrari Italy when they tell the dealer they wont reimburse the parts or labor after they call for and evaluate the value analysis log inside your cars ecu - which is tamper proof btw. Then it is goodbye warranty claim.

Those here who have talked themselves into believing the VAL doesn’t apply to them or believe their exhaust mods wont register any change in values can jump up and down all they like when Ferrari HQ says goodbye! Then it comes down to the dealer whether they want to pick up the tab, and i doubt there would be many that would entertain that thought. So its another case of “goodbye”. And its a road of no return even when you take those mods off because the breached values remain stored within the ECU for the life of the car. Happy days!

BillHartman67 and mdrums like this.
  2. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

GPF removed therefore ? Thats illegal

3. Divexxtreme

Divexxtreme Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yeah, so is speeding and illegal u-turns. I’ll be okay. Thanks, though!

4. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Video before and after would be fantastic

AD211 likes this.
  5. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Just pointing it out. If the fine is minimal and if they can tell its up to you. I live in a society where the car will be pulled of the street and multiple 10 K fines .

Shadowfax likes this.
  6. Divexxtreme

Divexxtreme Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Much appreciated, Mandalay. Thankfully, I don’t live in a society like that.

Dicecal, Shadowfax and MANDALAY like this.
  7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #332 Shadowfax, Jul 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
    Pretty sure he weighed up his risks with the law. Only problem i see is a grenaded warranty with Ferrari with no means to argue any case without putting up a costly legal fight - which will prove futile anyway.

Unfortunately the F8 was the beginning of the end for these mods. Just imagine what it'd be like trying to mod a 296 ?

For F8 owners it becomes a decision to weigh up whether they are prepared to live without warranty on the engine and drive-line. And it's a Ferrari don't forget so it's not a decision I would enter into too lightly knowing how things can and do wrong. Just imagine if you have a gearbox issue or you have any sort of engine issue which requires warranty work. You will then see your wallet grenade.

PS. As an fyi i've now seen two F8's in the workshop requiring gearbox change-outs and these cars were stock.

MANDALAY likes this.
  8. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

As I said and partially confirmed on this thread.
    Swap, and if u have a problem, have an independent put back to stock and clear any codes and bring back to dealer for evaluation. Can’t hurt to try and I doubt they would see it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Natkingcolebasket69

USA seem to be more lenient than Australia!

10. Natkingcolebasket69

296 seems to sound much better stock than f8 so that would be a relief.

11. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

That was a technique i used on rim sizes back in the early 80's. However cant exchange for the legal wheels when the axle was broken and the car got towed to the dealer after an accident :(

12. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #337 Shadowfax, Jul 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
    An “independent” or dealer may well able to clear CEL’s but definitely not the codes associated to the values logged in the ECU. Nobody can do that, not even your guru aftermarket tuner, but by all means please feel free to think otherwise. And btw flashing the stock file back doesnt get rid of the registered anomalies as they are not kept on the tune file. Flashing over the stock file and flashing back does absolutely nothing to erase these - infact the flashing events are also registered. Anyway you will find this reality out when you have an engine or driveline claim after Ferrari HQ requests the VAL from your dealer if/when the **** hits the fan. And, as the saying goes “a Ferrari is a Ferrari”!
    So its a case of best of luck, fingers crossed, and touching wood wherever you can from here on, especially given what ive seen with my own eyes. And it aint pretty.

13. Natkingcolebasket69

#338 Natkingcolebasket69, Jul 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
    Well that’s good info but again if U had read fully don’t have a F8 lol
    I was just asking the indi on this chat if that would work and he said he believed it could. U are saying otherwise which is equally fine.
    I do know and agree Ferrari will fine anything not to pay for a claim- as an example my friend had novi spring on his 458 and over a pothol his passenger airbag deployed and they refused to cover anything, same thing when his dct blew up 3 days after the end of his warranty, no commercial gesture at all.

14. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    This is all depressing to read. How quiet is it really? If I was fine with my stock exhaust on my 488, should I expect the same with the F8 or does the GPF make it significantly quieter? I see McClaren-Charlotte has a couple. I may head up there for a test drive b4 my order is locked in.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

OSUferrari likes this.
  15. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Image Unavailable, Please Login

It’s not that bad , it’s just not that good and needs some help. I had the valves pulled on my 488 so for me it’s not even close. It’s not horrible. I have a spider and always drive with the top down. Maybe it’s better in a coupe ?

MANDALAY, Viperjoe and AD211 like this.
  16. Texas2step

Texas2step Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    Great idea to test drive before you lock in your order then you can make your own personal decision.

AD211 and Cigarzman like this.
  17. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Inside the car I think it sounds pretty good, and it gets better with miles. Although overall it’s a bit subdued over the 488. That being said, I’ve ordered the full Kline exhaust and will give it a try assuming Kline ever delivers it…o_O

Mickyd329, AD211 and Cigarzman like this.
  18. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Mate you know i say it as it is.

There were 2 hurdles for me.

One the change over price ( Interestingly now 488 GTB's not only have become scarce but gone up in value )

Two the misses hated the lack of sound. I kept the revs up in race so the valves would stay open and sorry no way no how anywhere near the 488 GTB. With that she wont allow me to sell the beast. Interestingly she will allow a Pista. However i wont buy a second hand car. :(

IMO the 296 will create a lot of **** for the F8 BUT I would get a Pista if i was you as you like carbon.

BTW the sound on the F8 might get a bit better with running in but will always have the GPF whereas the 488 GTB and Pista when the valves are open its a straight pipe.

AD211 likes this.
  19. OSUferrari

Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Sorry to say but the 488 is better than the F8. I can live with 488 and have one now but could not handle the F8 sound. It is terrible

MANDALAY, mdrums and AD211 like this.
  20. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

John , good news as help is on the way. Ferrari Tampa has successfully installed these with great results and no issues. I’m having them install one for me just as soon as they can pick up my car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

From Forza (edited to be more concise):

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
    The installation of an exhaust bypass valve controller will not void the warranty on an F8. In the United States, we have a law called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Among other things, the law states that the manufacturer cannot cancel your warranty simply because you’ve installed an aftermarket part. That said, if an aftermarket part somehow causes or contributes to a failure, the dealer may be able to deny your warranty claim, provided that they can prove a connection to the failed part. They cannot void the entire warranty on the car. In these cases, the burden of proof is entirely on the dealership. This law was enacted in 1975 and there are documented cases where dealers tried to void a car’s warranty because the owner may have installed something as benign as an audio system or aftermarket wheels. (I'm wondering if in this writeup, the word dealership is synonymous with manufacturer)

Forza Exhaust Controller Model B4-FP
    The controller for the Ferrari 488 Pista and the F8 Tributo is made in a manner that there are no electrical connections to the car’s CAN bus (the system that manages all the electronic devices on the car). The exhaust controller kit includes two new Pierburg vacuum solenoid valves which are connected pneumatically to the existing vacuum solenoid valves to control the vacuum (and only the vacuum) to the car’s exhaust bypass valves. This prevents any unwanted interaction with the car’s electrical control circuit. This design has proven to be robust and trouble free and several Ferrari dealers in the US and abroad have and continue to purchase and install this unit on Pistas and F8s.

22. OSUferrari

Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    I did install Capristo value controller on mine but did not make a big difference. I ended up selling my F8 and bought a used 488 GTS and pinned the valve open. For me, I am happier (also my first spider which helps but no doubt I liked the look of the F8 better (and performance). I may consider used F8 spider as some point but as colorado keeps passing more restrictive laws (we are turning into California ) I may just keep my 458 and 488 forever!

MANDALAY and AD211 like this.
  23. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

So on a scale of 1 to 10, if the exhaust sound quality was a 5 prior to installing the controller did it elevate the quality to a 6 or 7?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

24. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I guess I’ll live with stock through my 3 year warranty period then consider an exhaust upgrade....if I can wait that long. Again, I was fine with the 488 stock exhaust so if the F8 is 80% of that I should be fine. Otherwise...

Feedback from FofATL on upgrading the exhaust: “We have only done one exhaust on an F8 at this time. It was a Novitec that the client purchased and had us install. I have not seen or heard any issues from the client, but we had to have him sign a release when adding an aftermarket exhaust to the car. The sound difference wasn’t a huge change, but definitely added more volume.”

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Viperjoe likes this.
  25. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Taking off federally mandated parts like cats and soon to be gpf which the car will need a tune to run right has nothing to do with the Magnuson Moss Act. Taking off the muffler…same thing. Taking off the stock muffler to replace with by pass pipes…again this Act will not protect you as you are changing specs on how the car runs. The quote on the MMA is not exactly all what this act was brought into law for. I’ve been through this with Porsche and 2 attorneys explaining it in laymen’s terms.

MANDALAY likes this.