Wanted - F430 | FerrariChat

Wanted F430

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by mcavinder, Dec 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mcavinder

mcavinder Karting

Oct 29, 2020
    Sunshine State
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Looking for my first Ferrari....

• F430
    • Coupe only
    • Red on tan only
    • Sorted headers
    • Sorted stickies
    • Fender badges
    • Under 35k miles
    • Doesn't need all the options, carbon fiber etc.
    • Prefer Daytona seats but not a deal-breaker
    • $95k budget
    [email protected]

romanteni likes this.
  2. tjhutch

tjhutch Rookie

Jan 24, 2020
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Todd Hutchings
    Do yourself a favor and reach out to Mike @Yellow Compass. Mike will find you the deal and car you are looking for or at a minimum give you some great advice. Trust me it's worth the call.

NMNMNMN, 54greg, eyeman1234 and 2 others like this.
  3. mcavinder

mcavinder Karting

Oct 29, 2020
    Sunshine State
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thank you, sir for the lead. I will reach out to Mike today.

4. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    The sticky knobs is a minor issue so I would not make that a deal breaker. The rest of your requirements are reasonable and your price is in the ball park.
    Mike has a good reputation and has been on this site for years. The likelihood of you getting a lemon are almost zero if not zero, if you utilize his services. Good luck.

5. Dcraig77

Dcraig77 Rookie

Aug 20, 2017
    Atlanta
    Agreed. Using Mike to sell my 430 and purchase of a 458. He is great to work with.

eyeman1234, mcavinder and dweintra like this.
  6. mcavinder

mcavinder Karting

Oct 29, 2020
    Sunshine State
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks everyone - I got in touch with Mike a week or so ago and he is on the hunt for me! I feel confident in his experience and resources. My local independent, Bruce Anderson from Maranello Autosport here in Central FL has also been extremely helpful and supportive and I will 100% use his services once I acquire a car.

I've been searching for about 3 months... had a bad experience 2 weeks ago at a Texas Ferrari dealership and several owners of my other targets have largely been unresponsive when I request information. I'm not an amateur when it comes to supercars but this has been a very different and often frustrating experience.

After researching sales/asks (red cars only) ad nauseam on eBay, BaT, AutoTempest etc. as well as market reports, clean and well-maintained non-gated 2005/2006 and occasionally 2007 models with 20k to 35k miles bring between $85k and $95k depending on specs. Paying above $95k is charity IMO. Hopefully, with 458's coming down many 430 owners will be trading up and increasing the 430 supply. MMR attached for anyone curious.

Lastly, I agree sticky-buttons (and even passenger airbag wrinkles) are not deal-breakers. However, the several thousand dollars to have them sorted properly should be reflected in the purchase price. Indeed, a 15-year-old car without these issues having already been sorted may generally reflect the cars condition and the care she received by previous owners.

Thanks again, everyone, and have a Happy New Year!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Hi Mike.

Just my $.02 at the end of the day, don't forget to give credit to the actual car.

You can MMR, database it, hypothesize, run spreadsheets, but if you find a great car, with superb ownership documents, a healthy PPI, and it checks most of your boxes, that's the car.

Happy searching.

hbk_bkk, VAF84, armedferret and 2 others like this.
  8. Maine57S1

Maine57S1 Karting

Dec 5, 2016
    Full Name:
    John
    Agreed.. at some point you need to consider your time also =$$$ so if you find the exact car you are looking for sometimes paying premium for your perfect spec is not "charity" but peace of mind that you have found "the one"

9. SpencerMarks

SpencerMarks Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2017
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Spencer
    I searched for over 6 months for a red/tan F430 with under 25k miles, in great condition, for a reasonable price and maintenance history. The reason you’re having trouble is because they’re pretty hard to find for that price.

hbk_bkk and VAF84 like this.
  10. DL4567

DL4567 Karting

Nov 25, 2004
    Atlanta
    #10 DL4567, Dec 29, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    Curious about the Texas dealership. Can you tell me more about what happened? I've been searching for a while as well, for a red/tan F430 and for some reason a lot of them seem to come up at the TX dealerships. Yellow Compass Mike is great and is looking for me as well, but it's too much fun not to look at listings and see what's out there.

11. mcavinder

mcavinder Karting

Oct 29, 2020
    Sunshine State
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes there does seem to be a few coming out of Texas. In fact, Lamborghini Dallas had a nice example around September that I probably should have pulled the trigger on. I was still relatively green on 430s and educating myself but she was a beaut!

My experience with a Ferrari dealership in Texas: 2005 red/tan F430 with rare spare tire. VIN# ZFFEW58A550141802
    I believe this was a case of reusing previously taken photos. The car was allegedly taken in on trade (that story later changed) and the online photos and description looked amazing so I sent $1k deposit and booked a flight from Orlando the following day to view the car. Upon arrival it was clear the images were from when the car was sold at the dealership 10 years prior. I've been detailing cars for 20 years and don't mind (actually enjoy) doing a little paint correction but this needed much more. F1 pump ran for way too long upon opening the driver door and my wife noticed an engine knock. I sent a video of the knock to a master Ferrari technician and he advised me to pass (could be a $20k to $30k engine rebuild). I cancelled the PPI and flew home.

My suggestion: ask for a few extra photos taken from the sales reps mobile phone so you can be certain they are recent. The dealership did refund my $1k deposit but I did waste a few days and money on flights, accommodations etc. Hope this helps!

of2worlds likes this.
  12. mcavinder

mcavinder Karting

Oct 29, 2020
    Sunshine State
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Here's a link to another one in Texas:
    https://www.normalguysupercar.com/2005-ferrari-f430-zffew58a450143878/

I have service records (email me if you'd like a copy). Bad vibes; I passed.

13. NMNMNMN

NMNMNMN Formula Junior
    BANNED

What website did you get the MMR information from in your picture?
    Thanks

14. dougnshari

dougnshari Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2006
    Derby, KS. 67037
    Full Name:
    Doug Kennedy
    Mike(Yellow Compass) is the MAN!!!

Yellow Compass and eyeman1234 like this.
  15. Bthesixthree

Bthesixthree Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 18, 2013
    CA
    Full Name:
    B
    UDrive just got in a 1-owner ‘06 with 16,000 miles.

16. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    so dumb when dealers dont put a price on a car like that

Maine57S1 likes this.
  17. hbk_bkk

hbk_bkk Rookie

Jan 16, 2012
    Norman Park, GA
    Full Name:
    Barry
    My personal advice; you'd be better to step down to a superb 360 than a budget F430. If you want the right F430, you're probably going to have to go up to $110-$120. I'd try and find one with a CPO warranty through Ferrari. An older Ferrari without a warranty is much like Mike Tyson, it will F-car you til you love it, and eat your children.

303WIN and Maine57S1 like this.
  18. mathewr

mathewr F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2011
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Wheel Guru
    Hell, I’d sell you mine for $120k, its far from Red on Tan though...

A CPO car would be hard to find I would think.

19. Maine57S1

Maine57S1 Karting

Dec 5, 2016
    Full Name:
    John
    [QUOTE=" An older Ferrari without a warranty is much like Mike Tyson, it will F-car you til you love it, and eat your children.[/QUOTE]

that maybe one of the most disturbing analogies Ive ever read :)

20. hbk_bkk

hbk_bkk Rookie

Jan 16, 2012
    Norman Park, GA
    Full Name:
    Barry
    that maybe one of the most disturbing analogies Ive ever read :)[/QUOTE]

I’m still hurting from my first F355

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Maine57S1 likes this.
  21. DL4567

DL4567 Karting

Nov 25, 2004
    Atlanta
    Wow, that is crazy, and very disappointing from an official dealership. From everything I've heard, the dealer here in Atlanta has a very good reputation and makes sure their pre-owned cars are sorted. But I guess that isn't universal among the dealers. Sorry you flew out there for nothing, but glad they returned your $1k deposit, as they very well should have.

I know exactly the car you're talking about at Lamborghini Dallas. Agreed, that was a tempting car and checked a lot of my boxes, and I looked at that listing many many times. But just like you it was early in my search so I talked myself out of it. I prefer the 5-spoke wheels (it had the challenge ones) and even better, the front-left one was visibly bent in the photos. Also it looks like there were paint artifacts(?) around the hood logo, which raises some questions. They keep their youtube vids online to be viewed indefinitely, so you can see what I mean. https ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfog9TBbenI

Are you aware of the car Bthesixthree is selling? It's just a hair above your budget, but meets all the criteria.

22. mcavinder

mcavinder Karting

Oct 29, 2020
    Sunshine State
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I had someone local to me with MMR access run the report when I started my due diligence.

Suggestion: keep that ace card in your back pocket... dealers quickly become nonplussed when you share with them their own data.

23. mcavinder

mcavinder Karting

Oct 29, 2020
    Sunshine State
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I agree to some extent: however, Brilliant Earth and former publicly traded Blue Nile helped commoditize the diamond and eliminate the "emotion" of purchasing expensive assets. I suspect all the gents and ladies owning Ferrari's on this forum came to own one by steadfast saving and hard-work. Money is made (or saved) on the buy; we've all worked too hard for it.

mmatting likes this.
  24. mcavinder

mcavinder Karting

Oct 29, 2020
    Sunshine State
    Full Name:
    Mike
    So apparently these are harder to find than hen's teeth! Are people hoarding these for some reason? I understand the collectability of gated examples but F1s.....? Any thoughts if I should just wait for 458's to continue to decline? Thanks!

25. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm not surprised to see that you're having difficulty finding exactly what you want at your price point. There does not seem to be a lot of cars advertised for under $100k these days in ANY spec, so to be picky with color, miles, service history (headers, etc.) AND want a good deal in the mid 90s, I think you'll be looking for a while.
    I think 458s have been fairly steady lately so if you're relying on those to drop to a level where 430 owners are trading up in droves, again, you may be waiting for a while.
    My advice would be to increase your budget or relax your criteria. Marshall Goldman has what appears to be a nice red/tan example at $109k. Maybe you can snag that for closer to 100. That's probably the way to go.
    I was offered a black/black '07 with 27k at $84k but needed a clutch and had some less than desirable aftermarket modifications. Cars at the lower end of the market are there for a reason (mileage, lack of history, service required, etc.) People with nice, sorted cars in desirable color combinations are going to be asking more.
    Best of luck in your search!

Extreme1 and VAF84 like this.