F430 Spider Threaded roof hook | FerrariChat

F430 Spider Threaded roof hook

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ibz_s_b, Dec 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ibz_s_b

Ibz_s_b Rookie

Dec 24, 2018
    London
    Hi guys,

New to the forum! Forgive me if this is a topic that has been covered before and if so then please by all means point me to it (I couldn't find it via search).

I have a 2009 F430 Spider and the driver-side (RHD Vehicle) 'threaded roof hook' has come out somehow and as much as I try I can't get it to go back into the hole. As a result, with the roof closed, on the driver's side at the rear of the roof where the black pointy part is it doesn't sit as flush against the bodywork as it should.

I can't get a picture right now as it's 2am Christmas day and raining outside in London! But it's something that's been bugging me.

I've managed to grab a screenshot from a Youtube video (it looks like a white line as it's covered with a protective plastic covering) of an F430 folding roof and the part number I have found online seems to be 84688500. The hook itself seems fine, nothing seems broke/snapped but I simply can't get it to go back into the hole allowing the cable to regain its proper tension and the fabric roof's strength.

Any ideas or has anyone had this issue? Would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ibrahim

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    Are you sure it’s not broken? Mine broke at the roof end. To buy a new one is typical Ferrari prices. I just made a new cable and threaded it through the outer lining and swaged a ring on the other end. A screw holds it into place. It’s pretty simple to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Ibz_s_b

Ibz_s_b Rookie

Dec 24, 2018
    London
    Hi, thanks for your reply! I'm sure the whole cable etc is fine the hooked end has literally just come out the hole in the metal plate that sits underneath the fabric roof. So in the screenshots i've provided in that 'half-roof open' position where the black pointy bits are facing upwards the threaded hook has come out of its hole and has therefore flopped down into the area under the flaps. Basically, if my roof was in that position as above you'd only see the white wire for the left side of the vehicle (viewed from rear) and not the right side as it's not hooked onto anything from the top position. Hope that helps explain??

4. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    Aha. I had a different cable break then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. FloridaToAtlanta

May 30, 2018
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Did you ever get yours fixed? I had the exact same issue happen. I, unfortunately, broke the little metal hook piece trying to get it back into that small hole.

6. Ibz_s_b

Ibz_s_b Rookie

Dec 24, 2018
    London
    Hi, no I haven't had a chance to get it fixed yet. The car is going for its annual Ferrari service in March so will probably sort it out then.

That sucks that you broke the metal hook piece! I don't understand how it even comes out?? And more confusingly why it doesn't simply hook back in?!

Let me know please how you get on with yours! Best of luck

7. FloridaToAtlanta

May 30, 2018
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I found the part as well, which was the part number you mentioned, but the cost is crazy for a small threaded hook..and it was almost impossible to get back in because of the metal piece on the wing blocking a straight insertion of the hook into the hole. It's like you have to go in at an angle...and, well metal just doesn't bend well to go into holes at angles. I googled "swage a ring" as Gizzi mentioned and it seemed like a pretty easy thing to do with a cable. I am going to the hardware store today to buy a small ring to fit clamp on the end of the cable and then will just use a similar diameter screw to attach the ring to the open hole. It will probably be much easier than trying to push the threaded hook piece in again.