F430 Spider rear window replacemet | FerrariChat

F430 Spider rear window replacemet

Discussion in '360/430' started by Reedhop1, Oct 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Reedhop1

Reedhop1 Karting

Sep 14, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Reed Hopkins
    Has anyone replaced the back spider rear window? Do you just unzip the used and zip in the new? Thanks

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    was thinking about this as well!

3. Reedhop1

Reedhop1 Karting

Sep 14, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Reed Hopkins
    I know ferrari sells one for the top separate and I know that it seems to be zippered in. I’m thinking that’s the answer but wanted someone to describe the situation from experience.

4. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    My understanding is that it's actually quite complicated. The window is sealed in place with a heat activated adhesive. There are two wires where current has to be applied to heat the adhesive to remove the old window. I don't know if there is a zipper and I'm not sure about the install procedure for the new one.

5. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  6. Reedhop1

Reedhop1 Karting

Sep 14, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Reed Hopkins
    I bought Novus 7100 kit and it helped my plastic a ton. I’m going to call dealer tomorrow and find out how to replace. Scuderia sells the piece for 1,099 tax and shipping included. I just got to figure out about how to install and uninstall.

7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    The whole canvas thing is an enigma to me. When one purchases a new canvas it doesn’t come with the clear plastic piece?

8. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  9. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    The appearance of the zip-in window had me thinking the same thing as stated in the original post about the possibility of an easy replacement, however, when I mentioned this to the shop that just replaced the elastic bands in my convertible top, I was told exactly the same thing - i.e. the windows are heat-sealed in so, unfortunately, it's not a case of just zipping out the old window and zipping in a new one. Makes sense - I can imagine otherwise the windows would leak around the zipper for all those times you're out driving your F-car in the rain :)

10. Herbert Hamber

Herbert Hamber Karting

Jul 17, 2020
    Irvine Ca
    Full Name:
    Herb
    May I ask which Novus 7100 kit you used successfully on your plastic ?

https://www.amazon.com/Novus-7100-Plastic-Polish-Kit/dp/B002UCYRZU

There are three compounds (1,2,3), did you use all three ?? Thanks in advance for any further info !

11. Reedhop1

Reedhop1 Karting

Sep 14, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Reed Hopkins
    Get the 7100 with step 3,2,1. I used them exactly how it stated to use. If you have any haze,like me, it took it right off. It helps a little with scratches but the haze 100% for me. Looks almost brand new. I have OCD so any little thing throws me into a fight to solve and get it perfect.

12. MigmanF430

MigmanF430 Rookie

Apr 11, 2023
    Full Name:
    Michael Young
    I have an 06 F430 Spider and I’m trying to figure out how to remove the glass windscreen between the Rollbars!

With the Wind Screens in place, and the Glass between the rollbars, there is no way to get to the plastic rear window from the inside.

Any Help would be APPRECIATED!!!

13. GogglesPisano

GogglesPisano Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2022
    East Bay, California
    Full Name:
    Joe
    It just pulls straight up. No fasteners.

Also, since it wasn't mentioned...The rear plastic window is a serviceable item, although it's not very simple. There is a special tool that connects to two wire leads that surround the window. Current is passed through the leads to heat the perimeter and soften the adhesive. The rear window is the unzipped from the rest of the top. The new window is then zipped in and current is again applied to melt adhesive and bond the new window in. It's a convoluted way to replace the rear window. Chances are though, if the rear window is in such bad shape that it needs replacing, the canvas and the elastics are likely shot as well and it would just be better to replace the entire assembly at that point. Of course, at the prices Ferrari charges for a new top, a replacement window is a bargain, but likely still more than what an entire aftermarket top costs.

14. MigmanF430

MigmanF430 Rookie

Apr 11, 2023
    Full Name:
    Michael Young
    WOW…..Thank You Thank You

Are Replacement Rear Windows available?

15. GogglesPisano

GogglesPisano Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2022
    East Bay, California
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Probably from Ferrari. Probably not from the aftermarket

16. MigmanF430

MigmanF430 Rookie

Apr 11, 2023
    Full Name:
    Michael Young
    Does ANYONE know anyone that has the Special Tool or where one can be obtained?

17. GogglesPisano

GogglesPisano Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2022
    East Bay, California
    Full Name:
    Joe
    It's not anything small. It's a giant crate looking thing like a welder. I would assume the tool itself is pricey. That's not to say you couldn't just hook it up to an adjustable power source and keep juicing it up until the temp is reached. It outlines the procedure in the service manual.

18. MigmanF430

MigmanF430 Rookie

Apr 11, 2023
    Full Name:
    Michael Young
    I’ll try and see if I can find a copy of the service manual or at least that section online.

you’ve been such a great help and very responsive Thank You.

GogglesPisano likes this.
  19. GogglesPisano

GogglesPisano Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2022
    East Bay, California
    Full Name:
    Joe