F430 gear crunching | FerrariChat

F430 gear crunching

Discussion in '360/430' started by BANANA, May 31, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BANANA

BANANA Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2007
    #1 BANANA, May 31, 2012
    Last edited: May 31, 2012
    I test drove a 2006 F430 6speed manual earlier today and when changing gears into fourth it will crunch unless you select the gear very very slowly and gently the crunch cannot be avoided.
    This happens all the time and makes no difference if the transmission is cold or fully warmed up.
    The dealer claims that it needs adjustment on the selector but I have a feeling it's something else.

I realise that it is difficult to diagnose a problem online but It would be helpful to have an idea or ideas of what it could be.

Regards,

2. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Likely worn synchro rings. Second gear synchros are commonly balky until warm, but fourth gear problems likely mean a rebuild is necessary. I would pass on the car if your test drive was a prelude to purchase.

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    It could be an adjustment. It's worth them trying it. If it's not, then either a synchro or worn clutch.

They can be a bit balky at time when cold. Some have used different gearbox oils to help.

My suggestion is let them try to fix it before you commit. If they won't, move on.

How many miles does this have? The previous owner must have not known how to use a manual if the synchro went out early.

4. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I agree. Let them fix the problem or move on. First to second can be a bit of a problem at times but never going into fourth.

5. BANANA

BANANA Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2007
    I'm aware of the second gear issues as both my 355 and 360 are slightly reluctant to smoothly engage 2nd from cold but it's the first time that I've encountered a problem with fourth and that's what's worrying me.

The car has supposedly only covered about 15000 miles and judging by the condition of the seats and carpets it could very well be correct. The vehicle does have a service history but I haven't seen it yet.

The car has also had a new clutch installed too.

I'm really not in the market to add another F car at the moment but this particular car in the right colour with the right transmission somehow found it's way to me at a good price and I'm really tempted but I've asked them to fix it before I commit.

Personally if I was a car dealer selling that type of car and if the fix was something as simple as an adjustment on the gear linkages I would fix it before offering it for sale which makes me think that it could be something more sinister.

6. JaguarDriver

JaguarDriver Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Dick Maury

7. svolk

svolk Rookie

Nov 8, 2010
    Sarasota Fl
    With 15000 miles, encountering a clutch replacement, and "graunching" shifts would make me think previous drivers were less than skilled. Considering all the other abuse this car may have experienced in these hands (poor skill often goes hand in hand with poor knowledge, lack of mechanical sense etc), would pass on purchase; too many good cars available.

8. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    Mine did this at 11k miles, under warranty. My car is also a 2006. Took it to the dealer, and we we first adjusted the linkage cables (btw, I have the grahm engineering upgraded shift bushing).

That did not help. Then scoped the transmission to look at the synchro's, they were fine. The dealer sent video to the factory of the crunching, which was exactly as you described, always in fourth, and never happens when moving the lever slowly. Ferrari authorized a gear box replacement.

My dealer got all this done in one week btw, great service from Ferrari of Central Jersey.

YMMV.

Ron