F430 F1 pump prime cycles - Scuding relay beeping | FerrariChat

F430 F1 pump prime cycles - Scuding relay beeping

Discussion in '360/430' started by vv23, Nov 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vv23

vv23 Karting

Jan 8, 2009
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Full Name:
    V V
    Hey,

I have the Scuding F1 relay installed in my car and had some questions regarding F1 pump prime cycles.

It seems in Gears 1-3 and neutral the pump primes every 15 to 20 seconds. Primes for 5 seconds

In gear 4 to 6 while driving, it primes every 2 minutes. Primes for 5 seconds

Is this normal operations?

Thanks

2. ditpixs

ditpixs Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2019
    Nor Cal - Tracy
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Hi! I would expect it to hold the pressure longer, but it is hard to diagnose the F1 system without a diag computer such as the Launch or similar. These can read the pressure being held in the system and run the bleed programs.

I recently replace the F1 accumulator, as this is a wear item which can cause similar issues. In addition, I pulled my F1 actuator off to flush the system, bleed any extra air from the system and tighten the bleed screws. You need the Launch for this as well. After doing this, I have significantly reduced/eliminated the warnings from the relay that it is running too frequently or too long. I did find one of the bleed screws loose. I usually get about 3 shifts before the pump needs to run to re-pressurize the system now. If I am cruising, it seems to hold pressure for closer to 8-10 min.

Search around on here for other threads and don't be afraid to reach out to the vendor. That said, several people have spent lots of time and money trying to chase F1 issues which may or may not have even been an issue.

Aaron

honda corse likes this.
  3. Sled Driver

Sled Driver Formula Junior

May 13, 2010
    Stokesdale, NC
    Full Name:
    Emery
    When the pump cycles It's not "priming the system, it's pressurizing it.

To test the operation of the F1 duty cycle & accumulator condition get in the car & shut the door.
    Turn the ignition key to the 1st position (don't start the car).
    Cycle the paddles between 1st & neutral.
    You should get three to four shifts before the pump cycles ON (you'll hear it) to re-pressurize the system.
    Do it multiple times to get a good average of shifts to pump cycle.

Ray Smith, Flea7 and ditpixs like this.
  4. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I thought the sequence of beeping gives you an indication if there is a problem in the system. Count the beeps and email Stef at Scud Ing. Or refer to his website

ditpixs likes this.
  5. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
  6. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    i recently replaced my F430 F1 accumulator with a new unit from Daniel at Ricambi (great vendor). The result? It's like driving a different car! The shifts are crisp and hard. The lazy lag I experienced before is simply gone. And, with the Fabspeed headers and heat blankets I can now actually HEAR the gearbox shifting. Apparently the OEM headers acted like unintentional noise insulation masking the sound.

Ray

7. honda corse

honda corse Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2011
    Vancouver & Whistler
    Full Name:
    mark buchmann
    100% agree. I replaced the accumulator (also from Ricambi) and couldn't believe the change in personality with the transmission. Less hesitation from a stop, quicker and more positive shifts. This article sheds light on the issue: Ferrari accumulator | craig-waterman.com (craig-waterman.com)