F430 Engine warning light | FerrariChat

F430 Engine warning light

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Paul Vozbutas, Oct 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Paul Vozbutas

Paul Vozbutas Rookie

Sep 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Paul Vozbutas
    Hi guys. I have just bought my first Ferrari, a 2007 F430 F1 coupe. I’ve only had it 2 weeks and done 150 Miles or so and the engine warning light has come on. Not sure if this is a coincidence but it came on the first drive after being connected to a trickle charger (CTEK). The car appears to be driving ok although it felt like it maybe missed it was going to cut out (although I could have just been paranoid after seeing the light). Any suggestions??

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Whilst it could be a low battery two classics for new owners are not waiting for the pre-start checks 'check ok' before firing up and not securing the fuel cap correctly

To be absolutely sure you need an OBDII code reader (lots of recommendations in the 360/430 section eg bluetooth reader off Ebay plus EOBD Facile on phone) and check its meaning (or ask the dealer)

3. Paul Vozbutas

Paul Vozbutas Rookie

Sep 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Paul Vozbutas
    I have been waiting for the checks to run and just had it on the diag machine which read the following:
    P2195 O2 sensor signal biased/stuck lean bank 1 sensor 1
    P2177 System Too Lean Off Idle Bank 1.

I’m told that this is not enough fuel getting to bank 1. Could this be down to me putting regular fuel rather than the good stuff in?
    The light has been knocked off and the car seems to be running fine.

4. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Sensors are notoriously sensitive sometimes. I’d run it for a while, see what happens, the cars brain won’t let you run it with issues that will damage it in my experience. If the light returns, I’d get it to a service centre and let then diagnose any issues properly. Sometimes a low battery can make sensors return funny signals, and those signals stay in the system until you connect the OBD reader again, so it may not have been yours when the battery was low, you are just seeing the result the previous owner had of that.

Tell you what though, check it out in the threads for your specific model here on fchat, the brains here are worth ten of any I’ve ever come across in a dealers service bay, they’ll know way more than an amateur like me, I just drive em fast, they fix them every day!

5. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 11, 2014
    United Kingdom
    Try the Self Learning Start Up Procedure.............

Cycle the main power switch, wait 15/20 sec (in other words disconnect then reconnect the battery).

Switch off A/C, fan, lights, radio etc.

Cycle the ignition in position II, wait 15/20 sec.

Start the engine and let it idle for min. 10/15 minutes.
    Don't switch on any electric devices during idling. Best is to wait until you hear the cooling fans start.

This will delete the "CEL"

Then just drive as normal.
    If it was just a "brain fart" all will be fine ;)

6. mthompson2376

mthompson2376 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2017
    North East England
    Full Name:
    Mark Thompson
    I agree with the all the threads above, sounds like an O2 sensor and probably not a battery problem unless you really did run it down, the F430’s are not as sensitive as the next generation cars to battery charging although best advice is keep it on a conditioner, especially if not using, try the kill switch first, and the reset procedure, that usually fixes most things on an F430 especially if it has not been driven for a while, beyond that, then it probably is a simple sensor, if it is an O2 sensor, and they do go on all cars, and they are the same price as any other car and can be ordered easily through Europarts, you can fit them easily enough yourself, there is access to these parts without too much work (check out the forums)....then a reset....also double check what exhaust manifolds and CATS the car is running, modified 100/200 CEL CATS can throw up warning engine lights very easily on these cars, in fact anything too far out of tolerance can do this which again is related to O2 sensors, I run Fabspeed exhaust headers which does away with the preCat and a Capristo exhaust but with original CATS and have no errors...., I think it is either an inlet manifold or exhaust O2 sensor, but it may simply be your car has been modified with racing CATS...that is almost guaranteed to throw up an error.

Hope this helps, I think you have a niggle rather than anything super serious from the your OBD checks, let us know how you get on....good luck

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

daytona355 likes this.
  7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Probably the exhaust sensor, its a good idea to start the engine and leave it to warm up without touching the accelerator. It allows the exhaust and sensors time to heat up. Bliping the throttle can send unburnt fuel down the pipe onto a cold sensor and up comes a code. If the pipe is hot then the fuel will not effect the sensor.
    I fitted Capristo manifolds without the pre cats and this is the way i stop it throwing codes.

daytona355 likes this.
  8. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
  9. johnjstewart

johnjstewart Rookie

May 6, 2008
    York
    Full Name:
    John Stewart
    I had this on and off for 4 years. It turned out to be a leaking ca sensor. Not the cheapest fix but did the trick and you can generally see oil coming out if this is the issue. Other possibilities as others have said, are loose fuel cap, poor battery, exhaust/O2 sensor or just plain old Italian gremlins.

10. Danny T.

Danny T. Rookie

Mar 19, 2019
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Daniel T.
    Hi Paul, did you ever find out what the problem was?..
    I my self have a similar problem in my 05 F430 with a PO2197. Which its the same problem just bank 2 ensor 1...

Help!...