430 - F430 Door Speaker Question | FerrariChat

430 F430 Door Speaker Question

Discussion in '360/430' started by VAF84, Feb 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

While taking apart the door panels we discovered that it appears a prior owner went cheap on the installation of a larger heavy speaker in the door. It must have been pretty terrible since I didn't even notice the sound during my long trip back to Texas. Anyhow I'd like to replace those with proper fitting speakers, and clean up wires/etc inside the door panel.

Any recommendations on replacement door speakers for an F430. I'm not an audiophile so it doesn't need to be high end. I know ebay has some original speakers for $70 each, but while I'm in there I was wondering if there's a better replacement for equal or less than the cost of the original (I've heard the stock system is considered terrible). I have no real plans of upgrading the rest of the sound system except maybe just adding bluetooth capabilities in the future via a head unit.

Also, if anyone has any ideas on replacement door foam insulation I'd appreciate it. I know I can get them for about $50 on ebay, but seems like cheap material that I can source locally. Wondering if anyone has replaced it in the past. Frankly, I'm trying to avoid ordering a big roll of the stuff since I'm just replacing what's in the door panels.

Look forward to hearing some of your thoughts!

2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
  3. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
  4. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

5. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Just an update, the joke's on me on this one. I've been away, and my father has been the one sending me updates on the door panel items so I hadn't seen the speaker set up in person. He was pretty upset with how they left the interior of the panel so I assumed the worst. Anyway, he finally got a chance to send me the pics of the speakers, and turns out the prior owner had installed a very nice upgrade. Focal P165V15's. The reason I couldn't tell the sound quality, probably had to do with having the stock head unit.

When I checked out the site you guys referred me to, I saw they had a Focal kit for the 360/430, but noticed the size was 5.25in vs the 6.5in stock. My guess is that the smaller size is to accommodate a deeper speaker. The person who installed the set in my F430 for the prior owner had to do some modifications to get the 6.5in set up to fix. Even though these speakers seem to add a little weight, I'm going to keep the current setup, but clean up the loose wiring, missing tabs, and replace the moisture barrier.

For those getting into the door panels. Word of advise, be gentle with the barrier. They made of a thin foam like material, and cost anywhere from $55-$90 per door. Additionally, they may take a while to ship.

6. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    VAF84 likes this.
  7. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    I have the focal 165v1's and there a very nice speakers.

VAF84 likes this.
  8. ty423

ty423 Karting

Jun 9, 2015
    Socal OC
    Full Name:
    Tony