F430 Door lock catch | FerrariChat

F430 Door lock catch

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by mikef348, Feb 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mikef348

mikef348 Rookie

Jan 24, 2013
    Swansea UK
    Hello All,

This is my first post on here. I bought an 06 F430 last year. The passenger door doesn't get a lot of use. Latest I found after opening, on closing the door 'bounces' off the latch and the lock did not 'catch' on the striker plate. After a little playing with a screw driver the lock catches. But today not such luck. And can not get the latch to catch.
    I've read a previous thread on here and stripped the door card, I found that the cable from the outer handle was loose in its sleeve, so tighten that...not positive result on the catch. I understand that the cable may have stretched and is not resetting the catch!

Can anyone advise what I can do next. I have found a catch block on eurospares, so could replace if needs be. But before I buy one can anyone advise please.

Many thanks

Mike

2. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
  3. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The cable to the outer door release handle seizes and causes the latch to malfunction. If the outer handle feels loose, like it has too much free-play, then the cable is the at fault. Replace the cable to the outer release handle and you should be good to go.

4. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I had the same thing happen to me although it was my drivers side door. I replaced the cable which in my opinion is the better route to go.

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    That won't resolve the OPs problem. All this does is resolve the ugly plastic cover that gets torn up on the original striker. The new one is all metal, and now makes a metallic "clack" noise when the door closes. I'm not so happy with the new striker.

6. X2BOARD

X2BOARD Karting

Apr 29, 2007
    Trinidad
    Full Name:
    AG
    It is likely the striker rubber getting worn. If the cable is loose Like indicated above. Get a new one and install... It's not too difficult.

Sent from my F8332 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. Normal1959

Normal1959 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 20, 2019
    bayhill orlando
    Full Name:
    Normal59
  8. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I replaced both of mine last year.
    Check this video. It got me going.

9. Normal1959

Normal1959 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 20, 2019
    bayhill orlando
    Full Name:
    Normal59
  10. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I don't like the louder "clack" when the door closes from the newer style solid metal catch. A friend made me some new sleeves for the original catches. Not sure what material he used. They have a seam, and after removing the remains of the torn up plastic, they snap over the metal rod. His have been on my car for over a year, and have absolutely no signs of damage...much more durable. I told him he should sell them online, but he said too much trouble, since he had to turn them out one at a time on a lathe.

11. Normal1959

Normal1959 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 20, 2019
    bayhill orlando
    Full Name:
    Normal59
    I think I like the sound of my door better but I just did it so time will tell.

12. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    It's not terrible...sounds more like my 308 or 328 door close...but not what I had become accustomed to.

13. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Besides replacing the entire catch is there a piece of plastic that works to replace the older stock plastic strike area?

14. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    I suppose if you wanted you could place a Teflon sleeve but it’s cheap and an easy fix why not just replace it?

15. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    Hey Guys,
    Rather then start a whole new thread on the sticker plate I thought it would be better to continue with this one....
    OK...PN#-85321500 striker plate appears to be unavailable at least from my recent inquiries and phone call to Scuderia Car parts.
    Masserati uses the same part but does NOT incorporate the nylon sleeve...not sure I want that type as it will increase the sound when closing the door or produce noise when traveling.

So if anyone has insight sourcing the original part or a custom fit sleeve Pls PM me...
    I would even consider a good used one.
    Much appreciated..
    Kaspar

16. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    Check out Alfa part number 50509788. I ordered from a place in the UK and received in a few days. They are about $25 each delivered and the same part. Just replaced two on my 430.

Flyingbrick242, f355spider and Qavion like this.
  17. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I'd say anyone going this route, should at least buy an additional spare for the drivers side door. You'll need it soon enough... :)

Flyingbrick242 likes this.