F430 Cold Start Problem | FerrariChat

F430 Cold Start Problem

Discussion in '360/430' started by yingfu, May 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yingfu

yingfu Rookie

Sep 1, 2016
    Taiwan
    Hi everyone,
    I DD my 2008 F430 F1. It recently developed a problem. Every morning when I start the car after it has been parked for over 12 hours, the rev just goes up and down between 2000 and 7 or 800. After maybe 10 to 15 seconds, it becomes normal, but occasionally the engine just shut down on its own. If I key off, and start again, it fires up as it should be and everything is fine. The odd thing is that if the car only parks less than 9 hours, it starts without issues.

My mechanic who used to worked in the AD told me this had been a known problem for F430, and Ferrari's suggestion to the owners was to just key-off and start again. Has any one heard about this, and any solution to solve the problem? It's actually embarrassing to have to start your Ferrari twice every morning! 

2. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I never heard of it and its not normal. My F430 Spider doesnt do that.

I suggest you do an ECU reset. Plenty of post here on how to do that. I had a copy of ECU reset procedures but my hard drive recently failed so kindly do a search.

Or its possible your Mass Air Flow sensor is either dirty or going bad.

Hope that helps.

Dan

3. yingfu

yingfu Rookie

Sep 1, 2016
    Taiwan
    Hi Dan,
    Thank you very much for the advice. I will have my mechanic do the ECU reset and check the mass air flow sensor as well. I will post the outcome afterwards.
    Best regards,
    Yingfu

whatheheck likes this.
  4. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Mine does similar if left to sit for a couple of weeks but not as bad. It just hunts up and down a little for the first 10-20 seconds. Day to day it just does the faster idle and settles down.

5. yingfu

yingfu Rookie

Sep 1, 2016
    Taiwan
    I had the car for almost 2 years, and the problem started to develop this year. As I said, I basically DD the car during week days so it seldom sits in the garage for more than 3 days. I will have it checked tomorrow based on Dan's suggestion and hopefully will have the problem solved.

6. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    Yes, it’s common.
    Start the car, then shut it down. Restart and you’ll be good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hunting idle may be common but its not normal. There is something wrong with the car as it didnt come from that factory that way.

I found a copy of ECU reset procedures that I got from this board.
    Credit goes to member Taz.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Attached Files:

8. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I'd personally hook up a good diagnostic tool and monitor live data. I'm guessing a hunting idle is due to a gasket leak.

.. Most probably intake gaskets so your getting in unmetered air which is messing with mixture and then the ecus tries to do correction.

brookliner7 and whatheheck like this.
  9. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Mine will act the same way occasionally. I’ve noted that the idle always stabilizes once the check engine light goes out.

My mechanic also mentioned a possible gasket leak or one of the cat sensors (maybe why it’s timed to the light going out?).
    Anyway if it’s too rough I turn off the key and restart and it’s smooth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

10. sakodik

sakodik Karting

Jun 2, 2016
    Santa Clara
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Mine does the same thing but the automatic shutdown. I've changed gasket, sparks and ignition coils, and maf sensor with the same results. Nothing changed but now I got the new parts and less money.

I get smooth 2k start up and drops down to idle, sometimes I get 2k start up but it drops quickly to 700 and bounces between 700 and 900 and it sounds like someone lightly pressing and releasing accelerator pedal. It eventually corrects itself to smooth idling with 15 seconds or so, any longer then I would shut it down manually. I got 2 old MAF sensor laying around if you want them :) probably not though haha.

11. Andy348

Andy348 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Rookie question, but wouldn't that cause the hunting idle consistently, all the time? Or would it figure out how much unmetered air is getting in and change the A/F ratio to account for that after some time?

12. yingfu

yingfu Rookie

Sep 1, 2016
    Taiwan
    Thanks everyone for sharing their own experiences. The car has gone from bad to worse. This morning when I started it, it started weak (rev to just below 1K) then immediately shut itself down. But when started the second time, it rev to 2K and stayed at 1.5K without hunting idle and drove smoothly afterwards. The car is in the shop now. I will report what they will find, that is if they will find anything. Last time when the hunting idle occurred, they couldn't find anything wrong using the diagnostic tool.

Hi Dan, I told the shop about the ecu reset, which I guess is not a common thing to do for the dealership here in Taiwan. But if they can't find the problem this time, I will insist them to give it a try. Thank you for finding the procedure for me.

13. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Sorry to hear that............

I found the official Ferrari 360/F430 ECU reset procedures. Here it is attached.
    It never hurts to try............

Kindly keep us posted.

All the best to you.

Dan

Attached Files:

14. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I purchased my 430 Scuderia used in 2015. Upon cold start, intermittently (not every cold start), the car would fire right up, but the cold idle was very low. If I shut off and restarted, it was at a more normal cold idle (faster) speed. I mentioned it to the service director at Ferrari of Seattle and he said there was a factory software update that resolves cold idle issues. I brought the car in, they did the update ($125 or so in labor), and never happened again.

OP might want to consult with the nearest authorized Ferrari dealer.

Bob in Texas and whatheheck like this.
  15. yingfu

yingfu Rookie

Sep 1, 2016
    Taiwan
    Hi f355spider,
    Thank you for the information. I will check with the dealer here.

16. yingfu

yingfu Rookie

Sep 1, 2016
    Taiwan
    Hello everyone,
    I checked with the dealer here and was told that the software update was for Scud only. Has anyone here received the software update for their F430? I just want to make sure that the dealer didn't just give me an excuse to sent me away.

17. MJGinTX

MJGinTX Karting

Mar 30, 2019
    Indianapolis, IN
    I just purchased my 2007 430 Spider a month ago. I contacted the Ferrari dealer to see if there were any outstanding recalls on the car - and was told that all had been done except 1. The remaining recall is a software update.

In fairness I don’t know what that update is designed to fix/prevent...so it could be unrelated to the problem you are experiencing. But I suggest if you haven’t already, calling the dealer, giving them your VIN and checking to see if any recalls are needed. If nothing else you can be assured your car is current.

Hope that helps.

18. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    I would check your thermocouple.

19. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    That is often the symptom of the injectors needing cleaning and resealing because one or two are dripping. The dripping fuel causes an overly rich mixture in a cylinder or two on initial start and it takes a while for the excess fuel to stop affecting the mixture ratio. The Motronic ECU chases the mixture and you may get a very low start rpm or a hunting rpm until everything settles down. The restart nearly always works because the fuel is cleared out on the initial start. It is usually $20-30 to clean, reseal and test flow each injector.

1995F512M and whatheheck like this.
  20. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

when you say "reseal", you mean the injector o-rings?

21. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    It could be as simple as doing a throttle body relearn procedure.

whatheheck likes this.
  22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Affirmative, reseal with viton seals that are alcohol tolerant.

23. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    (disclamer, I am not a service tech). In my experience, that is a hot start symptom, not cold start. Under cold start conditions, any leaking fuel has usually evaporated by the time you start the car. Under hot start, there is still pooling of fuel. The OP describes his problem as during cold start.

24. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Hugh, nope, seen in a ton of Ferraris, V8s and V12s, including mine, on cold starts. Never seen it on a hot start. Turns out I had 3 dripping injectors and inconsistent flows on all of them. Injectors cleaned, viton seals fitted, and problem completely cured.

adall and f355spider like this.
  25. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I stand corrected, thanks!