F40 on Fire in Monaco | Page 8 | FerrariChat

F40 on Fire in Monaco

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by ChipG, Feb 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mr. Francesco

Mr. Francesco F1 Rookie

Oct 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mr. Francesco
  2. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Everything behind the front wheels is destroyed, chassis, engine, gearbox, suspension, anything made of metal will have it's tensile strength irreversibly compromised, meanwhile all composite materials, rubber, plastic and fabric items are irreparable. Even the original chassis ID plates around which a new car will essentially be created will have to be recreations.

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    someone call Roland Linder.

4. Luimex

Luimex Rookie

Oct 30, 2013
    Munich Germany
    No,

at

Maranello Service Srl

26030 Calvatone (CR)
    Italy

5. mechaniker

mechaniker Formula Junior
    Owner

May 30, 2004
    Germany
    But not the piece with the stamped VIN. So, still more than a restoration around a tach needle... ;)

E60 M5 likes this.
  6. 3COL

3COL Karting

Jun 12, 2017
    They have a lot of experience with burned Ferrari, inc F40 and F50. They will no doubt be thorough in their rebuild, regardless of the politics of rebuild VS reconstruction VS replica

7. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    With current knowledge and CAD/CAE tools, I'm sure a chassis recreation can be better than the original. Put an LM-GTE spec engine, carbon-ceramic brakes, LM original body, and you have the best F40 in the world. :D

Albert-LP, ChipG and ross like this.
  8. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #186 joe sackey, Jun 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    I am all for this F40 being saved so far as it is transparently represented for what it is, a recreation or rebuild of a real F40 built with spare parts, there's nothing wrong with that.

As for mods and LM-GTEs, ugh no, we have enough fakes & pretenders running around, we don't need any more, if you really must have an LM or GTE, put yourself out of your misery and buy a real one IMO.

LVP488 and Luimex like this.
  9. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I agree with you if someone claims his fake and pretenders as "real LM" or advertise it as an LM or GTE and tries to squeeze as much out of it in terms of price. but if I own an F40 and I want to put whatever bodywork or livery on it and drive it on the road and as long as I dont try to claim it as an LM I can do whatever I want to do with it. Real GTE's or LM's are not getting street legal where I live. So if I buy one, I cant use it only on race tracks and I have already enough race cars. And I buy and own all my cars for I can drive them, I dont want to have a museum and I keep all my cars. They are not for resale.
    As long as you are honest and transparent with the history and your car and not doing for any other purpose than for your own fun I dont see any problem with it. F40's are as rare as a Challenge Stradale. with 13xx units build, its not a GTO.
    I would be happy to find an abandoned or 100K miles F40 and rebuild it with LM parts as I have a few in my garage... I know there as been a lot of hot air around LM's and converted LM's and I also partially agree with you. I see right now a few LM's and GTE's advertised here in Europe and thats not serious when the seller claims it as LM's or GTE's but thats the same with Stradale converted Modenas.
    this particullary F40 could be an interessting project to build an updated F40, demonstrating italian craftmanship and safe this F40 life. But I agree with you, it should not become an LM or GTE and being claimed as such.

Albert-LP, JAM1, tomgt and 4 others like this.
  10. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    We just got ours out after many months of sitting and stories like this make me very nervous. Plan to drive a tank of 95 octane out with little to no turbo boost, then drive it. A Ferrari race shop with tons of experience said this may sound goofy but add the correct amount of Marvelous Mystery Oil. Anyway, the reason for my comment is the way I am driving it until I check it out good is true. It drives around at normal speeds just fine and the AC works amazingly well. But you know you are in one of the world's greatest purpose built cars. I am privileged to drive it.

This is a silly question but what is this mounted above the wheel? Image Unavailable, Please Login

Serobson, Albert-LP and Boomhauer like this.
  11. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Amen.

chrixxx likes this.
  12. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    just guessing but is it a turbo timer? Popular on 90's Japanese turbo cars as an aftermarket addition they allow you to keep the engine running after you have left the car - supposedly to keep the oil cycling through the turbo after a hard run so it cools it down gradually

13. luigisayshello

luigisayshello Karting

Jul 9, 2014
    This car is being restored by Raul, owner of RM monaco, he always had an f40 as one of his personal cars, most notorious one the f40 gt that was a common sight in monaco, he had one at the time of the fire and seems to had let go of it, I would assume to finance this project and enjoy a trouble and anxiety free ownership, as after this car is built, it will literally be a brand new f40 99.8% as it would have been back when they were sold.
    If one thinks thru, there are very few instances in life where money can you take back in time, this is one of those instances.

Boomhauer and ross like this.
  14. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    NürScud, Boomhauer and joe sackey like this.
  15. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  16. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    To use in a car if its not to remain as a piece of art then it would require all rubber parts replacing, such as valve stem seals, o rings, oil seals, belts etc, Not that big a job as the engine is there in front of you, not in a car.

Gasket and seal set would be in the region of £1500 and a couple of days labour, so a similar sum on top.

I believe this sold in Japan at auction not that long ago for around £50k?

17. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    if the current owner of 135564 and well know Fchatter, could drop my a private message, I have some history of the car to share with you.
    Kind regards Mark

Serobson likes this.