F355 spider roof questions | Page 4 | FerrariChat

F355 spider roof questions

Discussion in '348/355' started by Jonkheer, Nov 14, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Rick
    My top worked great to,but it was just the fear of having it fail in the rain that made me do this.
    God knows we get lots of rain in vancouver at anytime.To be honest i think my 355 is worth more with the manual top.I would sell any one of my four rams or the power motor if anybody wants them.
    Michael

2. conscom

conscom Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2008
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Gary
  3. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I just want you all to know that there was never any bad blood between me and DINO
    It was all in fun...But I must say he sure has a yap on him...smile
    One thing that I do want to point out on my video is that you only have to have your window down on the pass side door if its closed so your top doesn't hit the glass going down.
    By undoing the little micro switch your power seats and windows have nothing to do with your top anymore.
    MICHAEL

4. conscom

conscom Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2008
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I had fun too making the video. Dino, I hope you didn't mind the video epilogue. I can always re-edit it to remove the reference to you and re-upload. Just say the word. Michael's conversion should become more valuable as the F355 Spiders gets older.
    Full Throttle :)

5. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    That was amazing! Really well done!

6. Dino Chang

Dino Chang Guest

Dec 29, 2012
    No, man leave the video as is. It's great and I deserve it conscom :D

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
  8. conscom

conscom Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2008
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Dino, you've been a real good sport. We would like to hear back that you have successfully converted your top to manual. Good luck

9. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris

There's a kudo.

10. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Dino
    We have not heard any yap from you latelty.If my conversion top project is a little to complex for you and you don't have the skills...You can allways ship your car to Canada or fly me out and I will do it for you for free.
    Michael

11. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I think the video should be uploaded to the F355 DIY thread. Great work.

12. conscom

conscom Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2008
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Good idea Michael. You should post your instructions and video on the 355 DIY thread.

13. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Go ahead and post it Gary. you have the video_Or should I say the myth or holy grail as Dino says.

14. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    I haven't been able to watch the full video yet but can this procedure be done on the road in an emergency situation assuming one had the tools and parts onboard?

I have no issues with my top now but have a couple overnight trips planned and was just thinking.

15. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Bob
    Yes the job could be done on the side of the road it takes about 1.5 hrs.Thats why I did the conversion I allways had the fear of being stuck in the rain.I don't have that problem anymore.There is one tool that I forgot to add in the video you also need a 3/8 ratchet for the 4mil alan socket.Also make sure to make the two special thin 17mil nuts that are the key to the conversion.
    Michael

16. Carbuilder

Carbuilder Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2012
    Bolton, ON
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I'm sure he is studying it closely now and trying to figure out how you faked it. It is obviously still a holy grail, but nice try with the fake video! :)

Rick

17. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I know what you mean. I think that in one of dino's post's he says the only way to do it is to modify the frame,thats why in the video I made sure to show that the roof is all stock.
    I think the real holy grail would be if dino was to make a video eating crow.
    Michael

18. Dino Chang

Dino Chang Guest

Dec 29, 2012
    Why is it "obviously still the holy grail"? How did you come to that conclusion?
    T is nothing more to say really. TR512 has and was the only one to have done the conversion to date. And now he has helped other owners who have been looking for a solution.
    Unlike 99.9% who claim they did exactly the same thing, you know, like you ;)
    Anyone who has been following the manual spyder threads over years will know what I am saying.
    The jobs done now, I have congratulated TR512 so I don't understand what you want me to say.

19. Dino Chang

Dino Chang Guest

Dec 29, 2012
    TR512, how long is this going to continue? You did the 355 community a great service, but what more can I say?

20. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Dino
    We are just playing with you.We were all just wondering if you did the conversion yet? that's all.I know you will have no problem doing it and have the skill.i have read some of your other posts.
    Michael

21. Carbuilder

Carbuilder Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2012
    Bolton, ON
    Full Name:
    Rick
    When you finish the conversion of your top, Google sense of humour.

22. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Thinking there could be a market for " two thin nuts" in the near future.........

23. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Tom
    They are very easy to make,Just grind down two 17mil nuts and make sure they are the same thread.

24. ready321now

ready321now Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2013
    New Jersey
    Thank you, first of all.

I am halfway through the conversion.

Here are my questions so far:

1) How far do I turn the flat-head screw to "relieve the hydraulic pressure"? Do I remove it all the way so it is out...or just turn it till something happens? I am afraid of having hydraulic fluid everywhere...
    2) What is the 19mm wrench for? A 13mm is also needed to release the TOP rams. I dont see where the 19mm is needed, yet.
    3) How did you deal with taking the lines off of the rams? Will fluid leak everywhere?
    4) what did you "plug-up" the lines with?

Thanks.
    I am stuck until I can understand the answers to these questions.

25. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    1 you can take the flat head screw right out if you want
    2 the 19mm wrench is for the back side of the long bolt that holds your special machined down 17mm nut
    3 the lines just unbolt 13m wrench have a rag ready
    4just some rubber hose and tape

Michael