F355 spider roof questions | FerrariChat

F355 spider roof questions

Discussion in '348/355' started by Jonkheer, Nov 14, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jonkheer

Jonkheer Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Christiaan
    Hello all,

I am considering of buying a F355 spider.
    But a little worry about the roof.

How reliable is the roof.
    I have read some stories that it can be a real pain.
    Also can be very expensive to repair.

Also read that it can operate more smoot after a hydraulic oil is changed.
    Is it a lot of work and can you do it your self.

I am not a mechanic but I am a little handy.

What do I check before buying?

Thanks.

2. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Does it work with the switch?
    Most roof mechanism repairs are fairly straightforward and inexpensive, as we have developed workarounds for most faults.
    If it does not work from the regular switch, does it work from the emergency switch?
    If not, probably seat potentiometers. Search threads on those and you'll find out how to fix them.
    You'll love the car!

3. tamf328

tamf328 Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    the top on my 355 spider has only had one problem and that was with the seat potentiometer other than that it has worked without any problems.
    I fixed the seat pot thing myself, and I'm not a mechanic.....

4. Jonkheer

Jonkheer Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Christiaan
    Thanx for your reply's.

So I do not have to worry to much for expensive repairs off the roof?

The hydraulic "never" fail.
    Heart that the hydraulic cylinders are the most expensive to replace, or recondition.

How water tide is de roof up?
    Do I look for places where it can/is leak(ing)?

5. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    This reminds me I should put my roof up one of these years LOL

Honestly its like any other convertible in terms of maintenance. I have had drop tops consecutively since 1974. If it's in your blood you will love it if not you will hate it.

Let the sun shine babay its good for your soul :)

6. Jonkheer

Jonkheer Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Christiaan
    It will be my first spider.

I rented a F355 GTS for one hour and took the roof off.
    It was not hot but loved the sun on my head :)
    Can't wait to experience that in a Spider.

To bad it's not always beautiful weather here in Holland.
    Can be very rainy :(

7. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I think the main failure mode, historically has been the seat potentiometers. They're not hard, nor expensive to fix. (well documented here, if you ever need to fix one). Other than that, check your hydraulic oil once a year, and you should be all set.

I had a seat pot fail early on. No trouble with the top in the 5k miles since then; and mine goes down once and up once every time I drive it.

8. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    The spider roof is the most over engineered, over complicated, over rated, under performing piece of s*@t ever put on a moving vehicle.

Once it works it is fine. Mine did not not work when I got it. At all. I have spent far too much time trouble shooting this thing. The sequencing will drive you insane. I would like to meet the drunk Italian engineer that designed this POS so I can kick him in the nuts.

Make sure it operates before you buy the car....or set aside a reasonable amount of money to have a mechanic fix it.

One word of caution.....the seats not moving when you release the top and engage the top down switch is a problem related to the seat potentiometers that, as mentioned, can be easily repaired.

HOWEVER, The seat not moving with the seat switch most likely means the relay on the board that controls the top sequence is bad and the board needs to be replaced.... $3800.

The top forks engaging the lifting pins is another beauty that requires time to twist and pull the frame until the whole mechanism is in synch.

When you test it, make sure you "help" the first bar rearward of the front frame upward as the top moves back. Otherwise it will get stuck. The over powered pump will be driven to a point that bends the framework and then the forks will not engage in the lift pins on the way back up.

The solution is to apply new elastic straps to the frame work to ensure it is pulled backwards automatically.

Gaaaaaahhhhhhh.

Let me quickly add, there is no better expereince than driving down the road with the top down in a 355 listening to that engine howling behind you. Aaaaahhhhh

:)

9. Jonkheer

Jonkheer Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Christiaan
    Thanks guys.

So if the roof and seats move when operating it with the switches it is good to go.

10. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    The bulk of the issues are tied to that yes.

Sequence as I recall it:

Doors closed
    Parking brake on
    Release roof clamp
    Move header bar up slightly...releases windshield micro switch
    Windows drop to per-determined levels - engages micro switches on inside of window frame to stop movement
    Engage and hold top down switch
    Seats record current location and move forward and stop as determined by seat potentiometers
    Top begins retraction
    Help first articulating cross member up as top moves back
    Top drops into place behind seats
    Seats return to previous location as noted by Seat potentiometers
    Windows move back into full up position
    Sequence stops
    Say small thank you prayer to spider top Gods
    Install boot

11. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Can any of you fit in the car when the seats go forward before the top goes down?

12. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    My 1997 F355 spider roof has been very reliable. Bought in 2004 with 27,500 miles and now have over 59,500 miles. Only have to check fluid and top it up every two or three years. No other issues.

That said, previous owner never checked fluid, let it run dry and had to replace two of the hydraulic cylinders. Also, just before purchase, one seat pot failed and was replaced by the dealer.

Knocking wood.... ;)

13. mike_747

mike_747 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Seattle
    the question is:
    Can any of you fit in the car when the seats go forward before the top goes down?

Yes I'm in the car the whole time. I'm 5'-7.5", no problem :eek:)

14. mr.steve

mr.steve Guest

Apr 6, 2012
    Full Name:
    Ron S
    lol It's clear you have never owned a 2005 Mercedes Cl600 with athe ABC suspension system :) Now that is crappy.

15. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    It's hard but it can be done.

At 6 feet, 240 lbs, here's what I do:

-get in the car
    -turn on engine
    -put windows down completely
    -move seats all the way forward (very tight)
    -release roof and push it backwards until you hear a beep (when the roof is on)
    -push the button backwards and the roof will set down (sometimes it gets jammed so don't force and let go of the button. I have to manually jiggle it so it folds down the proper way)

It can be quite an adventure and a workout but so far I've had very few problems......!!!!

16. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Made mine manual best thing i could of ever done..5 sec up 5 sec down never a problem.

17. mr.steve

mr.steve Guest

Apr 6, 2012
    Full Name:
    Ron S
    I have read this so many times over many years. But as yet no one has posted any information or pictures of this conversion.
    Will you be the first to prove this has been done?

18. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I will post in detail,very soon it only took about 1 hour,but if i do remember.. i think i had to unplug the little micro switch on the drivers side of the top ,so the power seats would still work.

19. sirjankovic

sirjankovic Karting
    BANNED

May 30, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    SirJankovic
    I owned a 355 spider- understand this: at some point you will have an issue with the roof. I don't care how great it works when you buy it. Fantastic car, miss it, love my 360 now but understand this: at some point you will have an issue with the roof.

AND DEALING WITH IT WHEN YOU DO WILL RUIN YOUR WEEK.

20. FlyingAces

FlyingAces Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2011
    LA 2 Vegas
    Full Name:
    Joejoe
    Get used to squeak noises and water leaks.
    IMO worth the top down experience.

edit: don't pressure wash the car, unless you want to sit on a gallon of water :)

21. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Love to here what you did also. I would love to pull my pumps, rams and put that 50 pounds in storage rather then in the car

22. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Pressure wash the car? Ouch....really?

I had issues, but once I had it right it never squeaked and never leaks....and I drove through two heavy rains just this past summer.

The top needs attention, but it seems to protect really well once fully up to spec.

23. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #1 releave pressure from top by undoing flat head screw from the pump motor center console
    #2 your top rams you can leave in the car,just remove the 13mm bolt holding each ram to the frame .you can then zap strap ram to the frame, you don't have to remove the the philips screws on the ball end.or if you like you can remove the whole ram.
    #3 remove both side bottom rams from car / make sure to undo both lines/ allan key bolt and 17 mm nut/tape up both lines so that they don't leak/replace 17mm nut with thinner nut from local parts store/ org seem to stick a bit when putting top up and down.
    #4 top center switch <console> undo plug because if you dont motor will still work and can make a big mess if turned on.I think its best to leave the oil in the motor.
    #5 unhook the little micro switch plug on the side of the drivers seat on the top frame. if you don't your power windows and seats will not WORK.
    #6 now your power top is manual!!! no more being stuck in the rain, and it only takes 5 sec to put up or down,best thing i could of done to my 355.
    #7 just remember when putting top up or down ...your back sides of both seats must be forward.If not the top will hit the seats as you try to put it down,you dont have to move the whole seat forward.The whole job takes about 1 hour. GOOD LUCK

24. PeteyP

PeteyP Formula Junior

May 3, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Petey

Fantastic Info to have! Thank You very much for posting this.
    I've been wondering how to go about this for a very long time :)

I figure, my top works perfectly, but I would much rather keep it that way,
    and just make the top manual for the time being!

Thanks again :)

25. Jonkheer

Jonkheer Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Christiaan
    Great info.
    This is very usefull if the top is not working properly or prefer manual operation.

Thank you