Sold - F355 Spider, 1997, Gated 6spd, Swatters Blue/Tan, Fully sorted/documented | FerrariChat

Sold F355 Spider, 1997, Gated 6spd, Swatters Blue/Tan, Fully sorted/documented

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by ketel, Mar 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

This is a fully sorted and fully documented Swatters Blue over Tan F355 Spider. Best color combination. This is a gorgeous example of the classic F355 in the legendary open top Spider with 6-speed gated shifter configuration. All records since new. 58k miles.

Current owner is an active Ferrari Club and 348/355 Club member and has owned it for the past 8+ years. Not a dealer or speculator car. Fastidiously maintained throughout its life. Fresh Engine-Out Belt Service. Over $8k in recent receipts, over $100k overall. Comes with a 2-inch think folder of receipts and records. Needs nothing but a new home.

All the niggling things these cars are known for – faulty factory headers, sticky switches, etc - have been tended to and all upgrades have been done to coax this 355 into its fullest expression:
    • Fabspeed headers
    • Fabspeed Carbon Fiber airboxes (better airflow)
    • Kingsborne spark plug wires (stronger spark)
    • Maranello X-OST sports exhaust (incredible 355 sound)
    • EVO hyperflo Catalytic Converters
    • Gold Connector kit wiring harness upgrade (fewer electrical gremlins)
    • Challenge Grill (better airflow; more aggressive looks)
    • carbon fiber door sills
    • Prancing Horse floor mats
    • Fabspeed Red Silicon airbox connectors (better airflow)
    • Hill Engineering belt tensioner
    • Hill Engineering shifter knob
    • New blue top
    • Upgraded SPAL fans
    • Upgraded Alpine stereo and JL Audio amplifier with bluetooth/handsfree
    • Switches refinished by Sticky No More
    • Covercraft cover
    These upgrades were done over 8 years to make the car perform as well as possible without altering its classic looks. Cosmetically the vehicle looks as original. So, no cheesy wheel packages, or other less than tasteful alterations. No expense spared. Car also comes with all original parts (original airboxes and connectors), manuals, service books, leather pouch, leather tonneau cover, toolkit, fire bottle, keys, remotes, etc.

Asking $69,999 obo. The vehicle is in the SF Bay Area. Serious inquiries only. text: 415-810-1598

2. Bigilo

Bigilo Karting

Sep 28, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    What a beautiful car!

3. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    I don’t this it will last long at that price! Great looking car!

johnei and Robb like this.
  4. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Very nice.

Tan top or black top?

5. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    Blue top. It's listed in the ad ;-)

JSinNOLA likes this.
  6. avi

avi Rookie

Oct 5, 2020
    Hi do you have a picture with the top up or the picture of the whole car? Thank you

7. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

High mileage but very nice and well maintained ! GLWS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. SpencerMarks

SpencerMarks Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2017
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Spencer
    Just so I make sure I read this right, this car comes with service receipts, totaling over 100k?...

9. azcarguy

azcarguy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Marc
    $3500-4000/annually in service cost + nicely chosen and almost necessary upgrades to bring this car up to a very drivable and reliable state, seems about right for year and model to me. It ain't a Honda.

tres55 likes this.
  10. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    Since new, so yes. The car is 24 year old, so...that averages about $4k a year.

11. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    Thanks. High mileage is a hot topic among this crowd, obviously.

For me, I wasn't looking for a garage queen, a showcar or a showroom 355 to impress people at the monthly Cars and Coffee. Nothing wrong if that's your thing, but anyone who's owned this era Ferrari before will tell you they need to be driven regularly. Maintenance is not crazy on these cars if you treat them right and give them regular exercise. There is a reason the Ferrari mascot is a horse. Like a horse, you cannot leave it in the stable by itself, unridden, for months and then show up one day and want to take her out for a gallop. She'll probably buck you off or, at least, there will be stable full of poo waiting for you. The 355 is no different. It requires attention. There are plenty of sub-10k mileage 355 out there if someone wants a showroom car to look at. But if you actually want to drive it, you're looking at lots of bills to get those garage queens into a state where their reliably driveable and able to be enjoyed on a moment's notice. No flat battery, no dried out hoses and belts, no fouled gas or oil, no seized parts. Just a great car. That takes regular exercise, fluid changes and light maintenance.

Besides, 58k over 24 years is barely 2,400 miles a year.

12. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    Sure. DM me your address. I have plenty more pics but the FChat rules wouldn't allow me to post more than a few.

13. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

My 355 spider has 45k miles so I agree;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vinny72758 and Sancho22 like this.
  14. SpencerMarks

SpencerMarks Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2017
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Spencer
    I’m aware, I own one. Still seems high but that’s the reputation of the 355. Beautiful sounding car though.

15. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
  16. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    blkdiablo33 likes this.
  17. Sancho22

Sancho22 Karting

Oct 24, 2018
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Szanka
    My 355 spyder has 45k too
    Nice car GLWS!

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  18. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    ANY car that is driven regularly will give you the least problems and money expenditure. :)

NuorderSG, Joshman0531 and ketel like this.
  19. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    So silly how in Ferrari world people consider this "high mileage" ..come over to the Porsche side of things with the real men and see 150K miles is when you start talking "high miles" lol

Beautiful LOW MILEAGE car here..less than 60K miles for a 24 yr old car is barely driving it!

read33, V4NG0, Zamboniman308 and 4 others like this.
  20. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Ohh boy... Porsche guys flip if the car has more than 5k miles. It puts it in a different category for them.

21. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Any more interior pics

22. Zamboniman308

Zamboniman308 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    If being able to actually drive your 355 is a goal, I couldn't agree more to this. My 355 is about to roll 54K miles. Having performed ongoing upkeep since ownership, my head spins with the thought of trying to make a low mileage example "road worthy". Ours gets around 2k a year which equates to a couple drives a week during nice weather. Mileage is the last thing on my mind. When the opportunity presents, we drive. The mileage falls where it does, life is short and the experience in the 355 is glorious. If I were shopping with the intent of being able to drive, anything less than 40K miles at this age would be a red flag in my mind. Rule of thumb, there better have been a minimum good fresh tank of gas run per season.. if not many tanks.

ketel, MHawk and Sancho22 like this.
  23. Zamboniman308

Zamboniman308 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    I think mine is roughly similar.. I've never officially added them up but I recall rough skimming them and commenting to myself that the car has been bought twice over. at 54k miles, she has quite a impressively full 3 ring service binder. I will say the majority of that was early, some warranty. She seems to have settled a bit after getting the early sorting out of her system. Headers, guides, and then the typical stuff with routine engine outs with while you're in theres.. which has been a good handful of times at this point. The bright side is there's never a hard bolt to remove :)

Sancho22 likes this.
  24. nsx2F355

nsx2F355 Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2013
    SLC
    Full Name:
    Tony
    So so tempting!! Dam. More pics pls.