F355 rear bumper cooling vents / cut out | FerrariChat

F355 rear bumper cooling vents / cut out

Discussion in '348/355' started by Marius, Mar 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marius

Marius Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2006
    Germany/Belgium
    Full Name:
    Marius
    Gents, I´ve seen some 355 rear bumpers with vents cut into them (ex factory) to aid cooling of the engine bay. I´d like to cut those vents into the rear bumper of my car too and would kindly ask if someone on here would be able to measure the size/width of each of the vents and how far away from each other they´re placed.

Which cars had the vents ex factory, btw?

Thank you.

2. Marius

Marius Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2006
    Germany/Belgium
    Full Name:
    Marius
  3. Buzzl

Buzzl Formula Junior

Why not go with the Challenge grill, it looks awesome.

4. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Those slots started very late production 95 and continued the rest of the model.

5. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian

That’s not ex factory, that’s factory. Almost all 355s had those openings in the rear bumper only the very early cars didn’t. The much easier route would to be to just pick up a later style bumper and get it painted to match your car.

6. hjp

hjp Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2013
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Full Name:
    Jerry Peterson
    I agree. Get a later model bumper that already has holes and sell your old one.

I have a '96 and there are no holes. The holes you refer to are not just holes. They are inner and outer slots in an inner and outer layer of fiberglass about 1" apart connected together with matching fiberglass collars. It would be exceedingly difficult to convert a bumper without the slots to one with. I was going to do just that until I realized what would be involved. Not practical or cost effective so I bought a later model bumper and will have it repainted and sell my old one.

7. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Jerry, if your 96 has no slots, I'd say it's not original to the car.

8. Marius

Marius Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2006
    Germany/Belgium
    Full Name:
    Marius
    Thank you gents, that's a lot of useful information. The rear skirt of my 98 Challenge seems to be thinner/ lighter so I'll measure the thickness of the before mentioned area next. I will keep you updated. Thanks all.

9. hjp

hjp Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2013
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Full Name:
    Jerry Peterson
    That's interesting. That never occurred to me. Is it possible that an early '96 may not have slots? There are some other differences in the bumpers as well, namely in several, of the heat shields, bottom connections and the newer has a recess across the bottom edge between the exhaust slots that the older one does not.

Anyone else out there with an early '96 without slots?

10. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    The change to slots was made late 95 and some late 95's have them - IIRC, it's on the parts diagram

11. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
  12. hjp

hjp Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2013
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Full Name:
    Jerry Peterson

OK, thanks Dave. Then the slotted rear bumper I bought actually returns my car to OEM. Great!

13. hjp

hjp Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2013
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Full Name:
    Jerry Peterson

I checked the parts diagram and the photo does not show any difference between any of the 355's regardless of year, 5.2 or 2.7. The photo is the same for all. However, the 5.2 descriptions list only one valid for the USA but the 2.7 descriptions list two, one valid until assembly #20189 and the other valid from 20190 on. It doesn't state what the difference s are.

14. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Not sure those holes are for cooling as opposed to relieving air flow pressure along the bottom of the valance.

Dave rocks likes this.
  15. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Right. They don't update the drawings for slight variances on parts - they simply update the part number.

16. baschul

baschul Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Brian S
    Mine is August 1995 (assembly 20182-seven before the supposed change) and I have the earlier style without the holes.