F355 Market | Page 223 | FerrariChat

F355 Market

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, May 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky

Not sure why there is such a bias against Mecum. Cars there typically have a reserve so if sold, sellers get what they wanted. Generally, it seems Ferraris sell for current values. Quality matter and at least you get to see the cars up front and personal. More historic reference.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

2. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Unfortunately, I don’t much about 512M’s or Testarossa’s in general. The only thing I know about 512M’s is they use the same clear turn signals we do and they used to be $200 for a pair from Eurospares :). I remember being upset paying $500 for them a decade ago while if you did a lil more diggin’ you’d save a few hundred. Now they’re $1100. Go figure.

Yassa likes this.
  3. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    This is 2021. Show me Mecum in 2014.

4. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I don’t have a bias against Mecum, I like Mecum and I think they give every car a fair shot, where as BJ tends to favor the higher end cars. The hammer drops a lot slower on the big dollar cars at that auction. I do tend to think correctly or incorrectly that some of the other auction houses like Gooding and Co., Russo and Steele, and some others tend to attract buyers who are more interested in European cars.

5. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    It’s safe to say in 2021, prices are HOT anywhere you go.

tres55, Yassa and jimmym like this.
  6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Just quoted you posts as a counter to Ken's. BJ has always been a hell hole for exotics. Mecum has stepped up and welcomes them.

8. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    E36m3s are up 100 percent over past 2 to 3 yrs. i wld have bought 50 of them if i had a warehouse

When it comes to testarossa- 94 512tr is top

davem, Yassa, jimmym and 1 other person like this.
  9. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    My post was trying to show that some Ferrari’s that they were selling yesterday were pulling some good money. As I stated I think Mecum gives every car a fair shot on the block vs the other auction. But I do tend to think that their auctions tend to have buyers more interested in muscle cars, restomods, and hot rods, not as much as BJ though.

10. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    In your opinion, what would you say has more eyes and serious bidders.... Mecum or BAT for F cars today?

11. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Bat for sure. Their reach is second to none.

Yassa and ShineKen like this.
  12. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    That’s a great question. I would guess it would be bat because that is a non stop auction as long as you have access to a computer and the internet and we can only guess how many people use the internet everyday, where as the other auctions have specific dates when you can see them.

ShineKen likes this.
  13. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I have always liked the TR and the 512 was just a freshened up version of that car. When I was looking to buy my F355 back in 2011 the 512TR market was significantly less than what it is now. If I remember correctly a 92 512 was anywhere from 85k to 105k. The 94 price was ~10 to 20k more. They were around 115-125 or at least the one I remembered was which was a low mileage car. You tend to see a lot more of the 92’s for sale, a few 93’s, and not too many 94’s. I don’t follow them as much now, but I still like them a lot.

ShineKen likes this.
  14. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I would personally not use Mecum. Our shop tried selling a resto mod Trans Am through there a few years ago and it was standard fee plus ran across the block on a day/time where there was no one there. Oh, you want it to run when there are actually people there bidding? Ok, that's a few more thousand.

Also, when there, witnessed some cars hyped/pushed for as long as possible and others they would drop the hammer very quickly.

I got the feeling you need to be 'in' with them in order for it to work out in your favor, YMMV.

tres55 likes this.
  15. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    That’s interesting. I didn’t get that perception from watching Mecum, but did get the feeling that was how BJ was run.

16. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #5566 johnk..., Apr 12, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    But don't you know all that going in? And then it's your choice whether to consign or not? To me the whole idea of consigning a car (or anything) to an auction is because you want to get rid of it on the day for at least the reserve. Otherwise, just put it on Cars . com or where ever, priced as you like, and wait.

17. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
    Naples Silver 355 new on Autotrader. Could be a really good deal for someone.

OCKlasse, ShineKen and TipoF129 like this.
  18. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Having experienced it I know it now. But no, spending a lot of effort on one car and pushing the next one through as quickly as possible isn't something they detail ahead of time.

19. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Its unfortunately like that at most of the auction houses. If you have a relationship with them they'll hold out for more bids, put you in a better time slot, and even strike down sold quicker for you if you're the bidder. Its rigged to some degree.

BaT, although it has its drawbacks, is taking over. That is where I would sell my cars going forward.

ShineKen and INTMD8 like this.
  20. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    “WOW LOW MILES! MANUAL 6-SPEED GATED TRANSMISSION!! ARGENTO NURBURGRING METALLIC!! BLACK LEATHER INTERIOR!! PLEASE CALL OR EMAIL FOR MORE INFORMATION!”

Interesting to see a Ferrari dealership consider 26k mi low miles.That’s good news for most of us :).

Oz-ATL and tres55 like this.
  21. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    As sub-10k miles become harder and harder to find on the open market...the definition of "low miles" will continue to change for the 355 haha

ShineKen likes this.
  22. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    carnutdallas and ShineKen like this.
  23. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Not a whole lot coming up lately. From around October/November the total count of 355's for sale in the markets I monitor have gone from about 550 to 450.

Anything nice continues to be snatched up fairly quickly.

carnutdallas likes this.
  24. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    Cash is Trash and has been for almost 2 years now. Started with the buying up of precious metals.

The tide has risen on a lot of cars, and trucks. I recently sold my 355 and bought a 2016 Chevrolet 2500 HD to tow my boat.
    Talk about sticker shock !! Unreal how expensive trucks are.

Anyway, with the appreciation of many vehicles, my net sum gain was zero. Meaning the 355 went up but so did the other vehicles.

That said, the 355 is still one of my all time favorites, and soon will be near impossible to get a clean, no stories, gated, sorted, 355.

I think they finally hit their stride in the market.

carnutdallas, MAD828 and ShineKen like this.
  25. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus