355 - F355 Major Service Thread + Ownership Experience | FerrariChat

355 F355 Major Service Thread + Ownership Experience

Discussion in '348/355' started by FourthAlfa, Mar 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FourthAlfa

FourthAlfa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 15, 2015
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Andrew Love
    I’ve been quietly busy throughout 2019 and 2020 doing the major service on my F355, a project that has been in strong competition with my day job for scraps of available time. I’ve really pulled great amounts of information from FChat, so I wanted to share some experiences and images back with you all.

I’ve taken hundreds, if not thousands, of photographs, so I created a website to contain all the information, the website is here:

https://www.andrewlove.space/play

Here are a few teaser photos, as no thread on FChat is worth anything without pictures!

As you can see for from the photos, this was not a quick belt change, it was a complete and meticulous restoration of the entire power unit. On the website, I’ve broken the major service into subcategories, where you will find details of what I did, as well as a parts list (where applicable) at the bottom of the page.

As I continue to populate the website with additional subcategories of the project, I’ll update this thread simultaneously.

I hope you enjoy it, and that you find the information useful! (or at least find the pictures enjoyable)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

OCKlasse, Julia, tres55 and 3 others like this.
  2. FourthAlfa

FourthAlfa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 15, 2015
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Andrew Love
    As a preface to the project, here is the introduction, which gives a bit of background to me and my approach to the car and the major service.

https://www.andrewlove.space/introduction

If someone is considering purchasing a F355 (perhaps for the first time) this is where you will find the real ownership experience. Spoiler alert, it is very positive.

tres55 and MAD828 like this.
  3. FourthAlfa

FourthAlfa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 15, 2015
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Andrew Love
    tres55 and mclaudio like this.
  4. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Nice work Andrew! Heading over to your webpage now to devour the content.

FourthAlfa likes this.
  5. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    That's great, I'll take a look

FourthAlfa likes this.
  6. bcar1

bcar1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2017
    NYC/NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Awesome photography- truly amazing the difference between these shots and what I have of my own car from an iPhone.

FourthAlfa likes this.
  7. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Great stuff, thanks for taking the time to post the narrative and pics.

FourthAlfa likes this.
  8. FourthAlfa

FourthAlfa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 15, 2015
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Andrew Love
    Thanks, this major service project and the car itself actually were the driver for me buy a DSLR camera again, instead of always leaning on my iPhone. The shape of the car looks much better through a lens that is not wide angle.

9. FourthAlfa

FourthAlfa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 15, 2015
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Andrew Love
    Need to make a special thanks to you Elliott, you have no idea how much "extra cleaning" I did after looking at your work and posts! The bar you set is very high.

OCKlasse and MAD828 like this.
  10. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    FourthAlfa likes this.
  11. marknado

marknado Rookie

Mar 4, 2021
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Very impressive, well done!

FourthAlfa likes this.
  12. FourthAlfa

FourthAlfa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 15, 2015
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Andrew Love
    Ohhh, about 50,000 pictures or so :) I'll admit I've got the Alfa bug pretty bad, so if there is anything you need to know, fire away :)

I've got several photos of my gtv on my instagram account @jet7neutrino

ShineKen likes this.
  13. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Very nice. One thing you might want to mention in the Tubi header section is that the problem with that last stud can be eliminated by removing the bolts through the rear motor mounts and jacking up the rear of the motor an inch or two.

FourthAlfa likes this.
  14. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Andrew this is so awesome! The work, attention to detail, and photos are all absolutely top-notch. I am so glad this car went to a good home. Though my yellow car was no slouch, this exact car remains the fastest 355 I've ever driven.
    Enjoy in good health!

FourthAlfa likes this.
  15. FourthAlfa

FourthAlfa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 15, 2015
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Andrew Love
    good point, I've heard it can be done, but just a bit awkward. I'll add that detail though as someone might appreciate it if they are looking for the answer from what I've written. Thanks

16. FourthAlfa

FourthAlfa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 15, 2015
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Andrew Love
    Hey Chris, so glad that you appreciate the work! I was really hoping that you would take a look. You will note that I gave you a shout out in the introduction as the "honest, straightup guy" :)
    You have mentioned a few times that this was a very quick F355, and this really peaked my curiosity about these early cylinder heads and engine config.
    It was pretty much the perfect car for me - all the right features, but needed a bit of attention to detail. I planned on going through everything anyway, so this was not a problem, and fortunately there were no bad surprises. The car is super tight now, runs like a top, and seems very "happy". It has actually been getting alot of use lately on nice weekend road trips throughout the backroads of SoCal.
    Did you sell your yellow 355 (you used the past tense)?

chris1866 likes this.
  17. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Beautiful shots, and truly a labor of love. I wish I could get some of these pictures to use as my desktop wallpaper. Thank you for doing this!

FourthAlfa likes this.
  18. FourthAlfa

FourthAlfa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 15, 2015
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Andrew Love
    Will gladly shoot a few over, PM with the ones that you want

PaulK likes this.
  19. Zamboniman308

Zamboniman308 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Absolutely fantastic.

FourthAlfa likes this.
  20. RudyP

RudyP Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Great pics and website. I enjoyed looking through it. I also appreciate that you are a cutting edge automotive tech guy by profession with a soft spot for classic, old school machinery!

FourthAlfa likes this.
  21. scrappin35

scrappin35 Karting

Dec 13, 2011
    FT Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Jim H
    Great pictures and information I'm currently doing an engine out myself. Curious where you got that particular dial caliper that's in the spark plug cavity?

FourthAlfa likes this.
  22. FourthAlfa

FourthAlfa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 15, 2015
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Andrew Love
    The dial indicator itself is a standard Mitutoyo product, but I needed to make the adapter to fit into the sparkplug hole. I did a quick internet search but didn't find anything suitable / available, so I just made it from one of the sparkplugs that I removed (they were being replaced with the service anyway). Not that hard to piece together, and a useful adapter to have on hand.

23. JSBMD

JSBMD Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2007
    The OC
    Full Name:
    John
    Amazing website, Andrew!

You are going to reverse some of the phobias out there associated with the 355.

FourthAlfa likes this.
  24. scrappin35

scrappin35 Karting

Dec 13, 2011
    FT Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Jim H
    Excellent idea... thanks

25. FourthAlfa

FourthAlfa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 15, 2015