F355 factory roll bar? | FerrariChat

F355 factory roll bar?

Discussion in '348/355' started by BRADAN, Mar 10, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BRADAN

BRADAN Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    Does anyone have photos of a factory roll bar installed in a F355 Berlinetta?

2. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    There is no such thing as a factory roll BAR. There is a factory roll-cage (from OMP) that was used for the F355 Challenge, but not a roll bar.

I bought a custom made roll bar for my 355 Berlinetta, but then also bought a 355 Challenge, so never installed it. The roll bar is now sitting forlornly in the back of the garage... :)

vty,

--Dennis

3. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Dennis,
    I am not so sure that I agree with you. There is a local GTS that has a factory roll bar. Maybe the owner will chime in here.

4. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Was a euro option, was not legally available on US deliverys.

5. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Well, I certainly could be wrong, so am definitely curious. I can guarantee, positively, that no such factory option was available in the United States. I might imagine that a factory roll bar was an option in Europe, but in 15 years, I've never heard of one. Possibly it's the factory OMP Challenge cage, with the side pipes removed?

Am now fascinated.

vty,

--Dennis

6. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Euro option? Hmmm. Any of our European owners care to comment on this? I haven't seen any mention of it in any factory documentation, though that's far from definitive.

vty,

--Dennis

7. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    No Fiorano Handling package, no ABS cut-out, no leather-covered roll bars.... We, in the U.S., got screwed. :(

ShineKen likes this.
  8. 355dreamer

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    I believe the car was originally from the middle east, but it is still technically a US spec.

9. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Now, I can certainly imagine that someone writing a big enough check could get the factory to add anything imaginable, if it were destined for a country that didn't have a thicket of regulatory rules....

No Fiorano package for the 355 in the US? Did the final 1999 Fiorano edition 355 not have a slightly modified suspension?

vty,

--Dennis

10. 355dreamer

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
  11. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
  12. X11OUD

X11OUD Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2008
    Manchester, England
    Full Name:
    Neil
  13. StanT

StanT Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2007
    Vienna, VA
  14. StanT

StanT Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2007
    Vienna, VA
    #14 StanT, Mar 11, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  15. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    I would definitely consider putting in a roll bar in my GTS, if I could find one. After having rolled a 355 GTS into a ditch and nearly killed myself few years ago, I would feel a lot safer knowing the roof wont collapse on me. It was not a pretty sight, I can tell you. The GTS roof construction is not as sturdy as you might think.

16. Ky Fan

Ky Fan Karting

Mar 13, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Does anyone know of a roll bar for the Spider that won't interfere with opening and closing the roof?

17. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I had my 355 Berlinetta roll bar for sale, and someone who wanted to buy it checked out the mounting points and concluded that it wouldn't work. So, alas, it now sits forlornly in the back of the garage. Really need to do something with it, one of these days.

Anyway, more to your question, there is an FChatter in New York State that has (used to have?) a 355 Spider with a custom roll bar that he brought to the track, so it *can* be done.

vty,

--Dennis

18. 355dreamer

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Which part of the roof collapsed? Do you have any photos?

19. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    The window frame was almost flat with the dashboard and the B-pillar was way below the seat height. The car came to a still upside down and I managed to crawl out of the wreck through the hole made by the B-pillar. I had just enough to squeeze through with cuts from the window glass on my chest. No picture that I would like to share, but I can tell you that the car looked rather flat. I feel lucky to be alive…

20. Rothbauer_Racing

Rothbauer_Racing Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
    #20 Rothbauer_Racing, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Note that last cage pic is for a right hand drive car? The rollover hoop support is on the right. When my ferrari was a challenge car I could never get a straight answer out of OMP what the steel was in the cage...DOM or ERW or the thickness. So I welded my own cage using 1.75" DOM 120 wall. I'm glad I did because a few years later I was punted by a porsche and hit a wall and rolled too and finished on my roof. My cage worked perfectly. Door bar treatments in challenge cages are very suspect too. I would not want to get hit in a challenge cage but its better than nothing. For the cost of those things used and the poor design I would rather build a cage with modern design elements. You would be surprised at how much impact a good cage can take. I know, unfortunately, 2 big racecar wrecks in 3 years and thankfully escaped both without a scratch and I'm still racing.

22. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    hey FBB ....with the cage, what did your car weight in at race weight? ...also, how thick of plates did you weld ot the floor, used to anchor the bars on to?
    thanks

23. Rothbauer_Racing

Rothbauer_Racing Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
    Well the pics are from a UK web site where most F355 are RHD. I didn't catch that one. You have a trained eye from your years of experience and exposure. As for the material make up from OMP I'm not sure why they would safe guard such a thing? It's a form of mild steel that's for sure, possible with high nickel alloy for added strength?

The design of the 348/355 challenge cage is dated when compared to today’s standards which are much higher then 15+ years ago. I agree someone should make an updated Challenge Cage that bolts in with the improvements from lessons learned. Just don't overdo it like some have 3 roll bars for side impact! ;P) Additional Safety vs. weight.

24. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    #24 fatbillybob, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Near a 50/50 crossweight too. 1/2 tank gas and 140lbs in driver's seat

The rollover hoop is not on the floor but boxed into the corner of the unibody with 3/16" plate mild steel. If you only weld to the floor even with large plates they will push through in a bad shunt. If you weld your cage right you can survive big hits like this. You can see how my 348 roof collapsed but the rollover hoop was barely scratched.

If you do it wrong the cage pushes through the floor and you have a very bad day. The blue mustang was a very badly done "professional" cage. My 348 cage I welded and designed myself. It was my first cage and I self taught not only the welding but design, tube bending and material selection. When your bacon is in the fire you can "rise to the occasion" and no one is going to be more concerned about "you" than "you". Pick your pros very carefully!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. Rob'Z

Rob'Z Formula 3

Mar 29, 2008
    Tucson,AZ
    Full Name:
    Robert
    DAMN! You can see the legs of the main hoop poking through the floor.