F355 F1 to Manual Swap | FerrariChat

F355 F1 to Manual Swap

Discussion in '348/355' started by Yalghanim, Nov 11, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Yalghanim

Yalghanim Rookie

Nov 9, 2011
    Gentlemen,

What is the possibility of swaping the transmission of a 355 from F1 to manual?

Have any of you heard of such swap? or did it?

Thanks,
    Yousef

2. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    An intriguing question.

I don't know the 355 but you can get an Idea by looking on Ricambi's website and noting which parts are F1 specific.

http://www.ricambiamerica.com/parts_catalogs.php?M=FE&V=model&I=15

Looks like you would need a donor car to make it worth it. The Transmission appears to be the same but you would need the entire mechanical shift assembly, hydraulic clutch release assembly, obviously a clutch and brake pedal and it appears that the F1 Brake/ABS systems use the tranny pump so you would need to modify that set-up as well.

Dave

3. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    #3 notoboy, Nov 11, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
    Unless you are REALLY attached to the car, it would be cheaper to sell what you got and buy a good car with a 6-speed.

Is this conversion doable, yes, but it's not for the feint of heart.

EDIT: On second thought, if you blew the F1 pump and clutch, the update cost might be similar if you get the pieces from a recycler and do a little DIY.

4. sevminasyan

sevminasyan Formula 3

Jun 24, 2008
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Here's what you will need in the front.
    New or modified pedal housing to accomedate for the clutch pedal.
    Clutch master cylinder and the extra pedal
    Clutch master cylinder pipe to carry the fluid from the booster through the firewall down to the bottom of the vehicle.
    Union at the front bottom of the vehicle to extend the clutch fluid pipe to the rear end.
    Shifter housing. You will need to remove the two plates where the shifter housing goes so that you can mount the housing and have a stick to change the gears, the linkage of course.
    New cluster or the elimination of the F1 gear selector.
    I would recommend replacing the front wiring harness. Do a bit of homework to see if the F1 harness will work.
    As far as the back end goes, you will need to remove unnesesary items that play along with the F1 package.
    Those who know better, believe there is a adapter plate that needs to be removed from the F1 gearbox to make it a manual.
    The Cost? If you have nothing on hand and need to purchase used parts, figure 2K at the low end? I am being conservative. If you happen to live in my neighborhoods, I have the parts and can assist you in your build since I just went through a front end of an F1 car and know exactly what needs to be done, time consuming and not easy to reach in some places.

I do have a complete 6spd gearbox, shifter and linkage, the necessary pipes and kept everything for my future projects but its going to help someone, I will part with them and will get another set in the future.

Good luck and hope the info helped.

bcar1 likes this.
  5. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    EXACTLY what he said. :D:D

6. Yalghanim

Yalghanim Rookie

Nov 9, 2011
    Thanks for the details Sevminasyan, how about we talk it over, I'd appreciate if you PM your contact details so we can discuss it forward.

Thanks Again.

7. sevminasyan

sevminasyan Formula 3

Jun 24, 2008
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve
  8. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

slave cylinder/thrust bearing is different between the two cars.

9. sevminasyan

sevminasyan Formula 3

Jun 24, 2008
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks for the info. I am sure I will get into one of these swaps some day. I will def. get in touch with you when I get to the back end into the gearbox. Just interested to see how far I can get these things taken.

10. Travis98

Travis98 Rookie

Apr 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Travis Wan
    Hi Guys,
    A friend of mine recently had a mishap and had a small flaming situation below his F355 GTB 5.2.
    We had a chat and he is considering in manual swapping the car as the F1 is a bit charred.

I know this threads been a while but would like to hear anyones opinion on this.
    Factoring in the car is in Hong Kong and as we have around 100% tax to acquire a manual maybe more than ones like.

Best,
    Travis

11. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    If you can find the parts is a relatively easy And reversible swap

12. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan

What did you do about the lever inside the transmission it's different between the two. I'm sure one can be machined but need one to copy.

13. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I would not say it’s relatively easy or reversible if you really start to think about it.
    Need clutch pedals, need different gauge in your dash
    How do you prevent errors going to the main ecu’s, does it hurt it or log other faults, transmission lights on dash
    Beeping when your door is open, or not in gear with brake on,
    There is quite a bit more than many people don’t think about.

iknow you can say or just do this or do that but then you really have not thought that much about it

14. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I literally just completed a F1 to manual swap this weekend.
    My car was was converted by the the previous owner 6 years ago, this summer I converted back to an F1 car, and this part weekend back to a manual.

When this discussion has come up before, I have posted only to have it turn into a big argument between those who have never done the swap telling those who have, that they are wrong.

15. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I remember all the mechanics you changed I was more curious about the electronics that talk to the ecu’s. No one has ever stated how they handle all that from what I remember.
    Some examples are do you get. Buzzer going off if you do not engage the parking brake when you park is one for example.
    If you do, did you just cut wires, unplug the buzzer, I’m not sure that’s why I am asking

16. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Not sure how they can argue that as you did it, so I would think that’s a mute point, but I hear you.
    I just think relatively easy can be misunderstood, since we see so many things done wrong on here.

I believe for you especially it’s relatively easy, for me not doing one before would not be.
    The guy who bent his subframe brace when changing his tires should likely just hire you to do it , if you know what I mean.

17. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Like I said I was mostly interested in what you had to do, if anything, due to the electronics,that’s all

18. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    For the electronics.
    The new reverse sensor wire needs to be trapped into the the wire for the reverse lights.
    To start the car, pin 55 gets jumped into pin 32 (going off memory here)
    A small 12" jumper from the old oil pressure gauge location by the clock to the new oil pressure location on the main cluster. (If you want to move the gauge)
    The buzzer I forgot about, I hated it when I bought my car so, I left it in place, but unsoldered the speaker.

For the past 6 years the TCU was simply unplugged, this time I left it plugged in. I don't think it matters.

No modification to the throttle position sensor or any other wiring.

19. Travis98

Travis98 Rookie

Apr 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Travis Wan
    Hi Kenneyd,
    Thanks for the prompt reply.
    Would you be able to PM me your details so I could contact you aside?

Best,
    Travis

20. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    It was actually pin 55-30

Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Unclemax

Unclemax Rookie

Feb 8, 2020
    Full Name:
    Massimo Campoli
    Wow
    Hi there would I be able to reach out to you regarding this? I’m looking at a manual swap myself

22. AndersonFT

AndersonFT Rookie

Dec 22, 2020
    Canton, GA, USA
    Full Name:
    Anderson Dick
    Anyone has the parts for sale for this F1 to manual conversion? I'm looking to get it now to convert mine.

23. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Send a msg to use 97spider, he usual has a lot of parts.
    Or call Russ at ferrparts