F355 F1 Gearbox | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F355 F1 Gearbox

Discussion in '348/355' started by margarita, Feb 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    We just need a leonardo and rent it out between all of us.

Give up your firstborn and they will be returned upon return of the computer.

sounds fair right

WATSON likes this.
  2. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    I am dangerously close to just buying one.

3. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I bought one a few years ago and I love it. If your going to keep your car it’s pretty handy

WATSON likes this.
  4. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    What I suspected, thank you for the confirmation. That being said, I can't see any possibility of reduced wear by selecting neutral. If trans controller keeps clutch at edge of engagement point, just select the next gear you intend to use. (IMO)

5. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I could be wrong but after rereading the f1 clutch engagement section it looks like it only puts the clutch up to the PIS
    When a gear is selected.
    This is why I think it kicks you to neutral if you wait to long in gear with your foot off the brake but not giving enough engine rpm for the system to see the transmission spin.
    It’s definitely open to interpretation that’s for sure because it is not black and white.

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I just deleted the video I made using a scope camera where the video shows the position of the TO bearing while engine is off, engine is on in N, gear selection and engagement. I thought I did not need it anymore. The Ferrari F1 system does not operate the clutch like a driver with a 6 speed. I gotta make another one and keep it this time.

Driver with manual gearbox:
    Foot off the clutch = Clutch is "closed" and no pressure on TO bearing.
    Foot slightly on the clutch (riding the clutch) = some pressure on the TO bearing and the clutch is beginning its slippage. In the F1 system, they call it PIS. Drivers are advised to never ride the clutch.
    Foot all the way down the clutch pedal = Clutch is fully released and driver selects the next gear.
    Foot off the clutch

F1 system:
    Engine off, in neutral, no hydraulic pressure against the TO bearing = clutch is Closed, clutch position is known as Closed position by F1 system.
    Engine On, in Neutral = F1 system applies hydraulic pressure against the TO bearing and pushes the TO bearing up right before the point of initial slippage (PIS)
    Gear Shift is called for = F1 systems applies more hydraulic pressure in the line, presses the TO bearing beyond the PIS and fully releases the clutch, next gear is selected, and TO bearing is backed off to just before PIS. This is why the PIS is very important to the F1 system and it re-calibrated at every start up.
    While the engine is running, the TO bearing never goes back to its at-rest engine off position.
    This is also the reason why there is always losses of hydraulic pressure when the engine is running and no gear shifts are called for. This is called "Leakage with Valve On"

MAD828 and Qavion like this.
  7. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Would a camera catch the 2mm clearance they talk about or at least I thought I read.

would another way to test this be the difference between turning the wheels with engine off versus when at idle on jacks??
    I don’t really, in principle, disagree with what you said but my understanding from your post was it is rubbing, and rubbing enough to wear the clutch much faster.

I thought it had a very slight clearance, again technically rubbing slightly in my mind would not be an issue but if it’s pressing very hard you would think it would get hot.
    I learn something new everyday.
    Thanks Mitchell

8. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    So what we need is a button on the steering wheel that allows no hydraulic pressure to reach the bearing if the computer sees neutral
    And no button is pressed.
    When you want to go you press button and hold, grab gear then let go of button because computer knows your in gear and has clutch a pic like what happens now. No more neutral slipping. we need Wolfgang to incorporate that into the programming.

I thought that’s actually the way it worked but it sensed the brake pedal as the button.
    Again thanks Mitchell for your insite and testing. Your the only one I know that likes proof like me.