F355 Air Injection Pump | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F355 Air Injection Pump

Discussion in '348/355' started by conscom, Nov 8, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Sounds like it will work :) ....... just be careful not to leave it open 'all the time' especially at lower rpms, as that will surely cause a CEL ........... :(

The 355 bypass sadly ...... 'opens with vacuum' ........... otherwise if it were like the 360 where 'vacuum keeps it closed' ....... then one would just hook it straight to the intake manifold (under the TBs of course)...... ;)

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #27 f355spider, Nov 10, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
    A Capristo exhaust valve would be the trick! ;)

Details on the Capristo valve operation:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201300&highlight=capristo+valve

But you WILL get a "check engine" light if the valve is always open on a 5.2 car. With the Capristo valve, you could simply disconnect the vacuum line and the valve will revert to "always open" operation. Then you simply reconnect the vacuum line to restore normal operation. I have never tried it, but might sometime. I wonder if I should plug the line while it is detached with a golf tee or something?

3. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
  4. conscom

conscom Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2008
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Lady Luck was on my side this time. Got my car into the shop on Monday. I removed the air pump, cracked it open but discovered not easy to open to check the brushes. So deiced to take it to a rewind shop but after re-assembling, thought we should connect a battery to it. It worked! Hooked it back up to the connector and started car. It worked! Double checked -still worked. Re-installed - still worked. Phew! At least for now, saved myself $700.
    To remove it, the wheel and inner fender panel have to be removed as the pump has to come out from the bottom. One bolt secures the air filter and 3 bolts secure the pump assembly to the bracket ( a 1/4" socket with universal joint would make job easier). I was not able to find a replacement at Spalusa.com
    or a cross reference. Seems doubtful that the brushes would be worn as it only runs for a few minutes.

5. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Nice fix!

Do you suppose that the impellor was getting stuck, and that opening the case freed it?

6. conscom

conscom Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2008
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Gary
    not certain but I did try the quick fix by tapping the unit while still in my garage to no avail. It ran smoothly so I assumed the impeller is fine. I'm now keeping my toes crossed and watching it carefully as I don't need the aggravation of having to replace the cats.

7. Loser

Loser Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2008
    Gilroy, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It is possible that one or more of the poles of the armature in the motor is dead. I'm not sure how many this particular motor has, but in some cases, bad windings can cause the motor not to self-start if it is in a specific position, but still work fine in others. If this is the case, then it will be random chance on when the motor will start and when it will not start. The more poles on the armature, the greater the chance of it working each time you try it. Eventually, your luck will run out again though and you will have to spin the motor manually to get it to start.

8. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Yup. And that's why magneto shops were invented...to repair that specific problem (among others).

9. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Congratulations :)!! It sometimes pays dividends to check the the simple things first ;)!!!

10. conscom

conscom Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2008
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Now I'll have to check each time I start the engine to make sure it still runs. Picked up the car today and so far, it's still running. But at least I know now how to easily re and re the pump. If and when it might fail, I'll then check the impeller and it that's not the problem, try to get a re-wind shop to repair it.
    Thx for all the comments.

11. conscom

conscom Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2008
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Picked up the car at 5PM and got as far as Wal-Mart 20 min. away. Came out half an hour later and discovered bad oil leak! About half a liter. Although the warning light did not show up and oil level below the dip stick, decided to have the car towed back to the shop. Maybe it's time to dispose of this lemon! Yes, it's fly yellow.

12. salbrech

salbrech Karting

Dec 20, 2013
    #37 salbrech, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
    Good evening ladies and gentlemen,

after having quite some trouble with my new F355 on the vacuum system (burned fuse of air pump), I quickly want to give you my opinion on this topic/air pump issues.

Some of you have realized that the 328, 348, F360, F430 and F458 and many more do NOT have ITB's (individual throttle bodies), while the F355 has them. Their pro is a better throttle response, but the con is that such intakes are not suitable as vacuum sources (to keep the thread short, I do not explain here why). However, with the F355, Ferrari decided to still use it as a vacuum source.

This setup leads to an vacuum of appr. -0.2barg (-6 inHg) when engine is on idle and -0.5barg (-15 inHg) when revving the engine high and instantly closing the throttle).

On the F355, the "secondary air injection shut off valve" starts opening at around -0.3barg (-9 inHg) and is completely open with -0.4barg (-12 inHg). Pressure which the tank does not have during the first 2min of cold engine start, when the "secondary air injection system" is on and my engine is only idling to warm up the oil.

My conclusion: with the original setup, the "air pump" runs against a closed "shut off valve", with no air flow, heating itself up, and sooner or later welding its fan solid with the casing. Not to mention the (minor) negative consequences for the exhaust systems and environment when this system is not working.

My recommendation:
    changing the spring of the "shut off valve" with a softer one. On my car, the valve now starts opening with -0.1barg (-3 inHg) and is fully open with -0.17barg (-5.5 inHg). Since I did this change, the air pump fuse stays happily in now for more than 7 months and 4000km. The softer spring and less closing force of the valve should not matter, since further downstream there are anyway check valves. By the way: the diaphragm type valve/actuator can easily be opened with almost no tools just by opening the snap fit.

Another conclusion: Ferrari did not care much about a proper vacuum system, since on the F355 it's not used for the power brakes as on most other cars of this era. Tuners that go from "Common throttle body" to ITB's usually install an extra air pump to overcome this problem.

Best regards from Switzerland

13. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Great review, thank you.

My connector melted before the fuse blew which I fixed but I suppose the next weak link will go again.

14. salbrech

salbrech Karting

Dec 20, 2013
    #39 salbrech, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
    based on my input from 1h ago, can somebody once measure the vacuum tank pressure on their F355 (on idle after startup without trottle), too? In all the inputs I saw up to know, nobody seemed to have measured it.

My F355 is just on around -0.2barg (6 inHg), which would be a very bad value on a single-throttle-body-car, but I reckon perfectly fine on a ITB-car with interconnected vacuum lines.

Best regards for your inputs.

To drbob101: the next weak link will show up soon, for sure. It's amazing how many little "imperfections" they built in: vacuum system, exhaust header, Cat temp sensor, bypass valve exhaust, airbag ECU, valve guides,.... guess all of them could have easily found and fixed with a proper test campaign....

15. End Game

End Game Rookie

Feb 9, 2019
    Full Name:
    ross stiver
    no it does not

16. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    So you replied to a 6 year old thread....AND your answer is incorrect.

bcar1 likes this.
  17. End Game

End Game Rookie

Feb 9, 2019
    Full Name:
    ross stiver
    yes i responded to a 6 month old post in hopes it would help someone. You are incorrect if you think your secondary air pump opens up your exhaust bypass valve. You may believe what you like but if you ask the your Ferrari tech he will explain to you more in depth as it was explained to many others as well as myself.

18. End Game

End Game Rookie

Feb 9, 2019
    Full Name:
    ross stiver
    cool someone else who understands it is only for emissions at a cold start and has nothing to do with the exhaust bypass valve

19. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #44 Qavion, May 3, 2021
    Last edited: May 3, 2021
    I do believe Mr. 6 posts is mostly correct (no offence) :p Engine vacuum is used for bypass solenoid valve operation. The vacuum is stored in the "bean can" reservoir. The secondary air pump provides positive pressure.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The two systems are related by vacuum. Vacuum is used to operate the secondary air valve.

20. End Game

End Game Rookie

Feb 9, 2019
    Full Name:
    ross stiver
    i
    If you unplug your secondary air pump or pull the fuse you will find that your exhaust bypass valve will still work perfectly fine without it. The bean can does hold the vacuum pressure, you are correct however the engine has vacuum pressure, as any automotive engine, when the car is running although very little because of the multiple throttle bodies but enough to be collected in the can. It is pulled from the can when needed. I'll stop responding after this one only because this has been explained many times before because when someone feels they are right they simple wont go any further to learn more about how the entire system works. You can remove the pump from the car, cap all the lines and that exhaust valve will still work. My pump was bad when my car was purchased and my valve worked fine and the Ferrari tech. explained to me why and how it still was working.

21. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Six year old post. ...and splitting hairs here.

22. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Yeah, and what about the 100 other posts on the F355 forum describing the correct operation. Just because Google found the wrong one is not our problem.

Carmellini likes this.
  23. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    This thread was started by "conscom", aka Gary Yee. Gary passed away a few years ago at a track event in his BMW. He had only just prior, sold his F355 and purchased a F430 Spider. May Gary rest in peace.

Qavion likes this.
  24. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Oh Wow.