F355 After Huracan! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F355 After Huracan!

Discussion in '348/355' started by Anymac, Nov 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f355930

f355930 Rookie

Mar 23, 2018
    #26 f355930, Nov 11, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  2. f355930

f355930 Rookie

Mar 23, 2018
    Anymac I suggest leakdown and compression test, and receipts for cats and ecu, and a big plus if valve guides were done. Bat-EBay auction examples of condition and price points.

Good luck

Anymac likes this.
  3. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
  4. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    20 for 20.

5. f355930

f355930 Rookie

Mar 23, 2018
    thanks for attacking and hijacking another thread. Flippers flipping out.

love the ignor button!

6. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    21 for 21

TESTING TESTING that ignore button. LMAO. :p:p:p:p:p:p

7. Anymac

Anymac Karting

Jul 27, 2015
    Is it true 98 and 99 cars do not have valve guide issues?

8. f355930

f355930 Rookie

Mar 23, 2018
    [​IMG]
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/1995-355-valve-guide-question.482836/

Not exactly sure if TSB above was free of charge at the time?

Early 98's were effected. My preference is 1995, 5 more HP, OBD1, no faulty alarm glitches of 96+, hopefully first or second owners addressed the guides. I have read some never have issues, even ones tracked. Could be correlation with cold weather and steel guide. Porsche 956-962 raced with Bronze.

Gltu

9. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Unfortunately not Anymac, examples out here all the way to end of production. Odds "may" go down but its a gamble. Some have no issues then again I have read from owners or seen receipts when I was looking where 355's had guides done 2 times.

Do some searches out here, lots of information out here (and on various blogs and other sites) you can read all the testimonials from 355 owners on how 355's have no issues and balance that with all the contrary posts and do the math for your self.

10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Huh, who, wait...what just happened there?

Pretty harsh response to your post...anybody care to fill me in?

11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Xenu, A 15% drop is not that crazy. Nobody knows the future, including me, but seems pretty harsh to call his post ignorant. He loves the F355, calling it very special and just waiting for the right moment, you're right - that moment may never come and the price skyrockets. What do I know for sure? I would argue exactly what you know for sure. But far from 'ignorant' - I don't know, maybe I missed something?

Jakuzzi and tatry68 like this.
  12. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Anyone that loves the sound of the F355 normally aspirated 3.5L 5 valves per cylinder singing at 8500rpm would also love the sound of the naturally aspirated Lamborghini Huracan at full acceleration. I have had by F355 for over 10 years and have fallen in love with the Huracan when I first drove it several years ago when it first came out. I am considering buying a Huracan or 458 Italia either as a replacement/or in addition to the F355.

13. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    I don't suffer fools gladly. I am sick troll posts of those with NO actual knowledge of a subject giving advice to others.
    I owned my 1998 355 F1 GTS from new for over 20 years. People making statements about a car that they have never owned are IGNORANT.:mad:

Jakuzzi and Challenge like this.
  14. f355930

f355930 Rookie

Mar 23, 2018
    No clue my friend, ignored it. I agree price could skyrocket if brokers export as they did with air cooled 911's.
    For folks like me with basic mechanical skill I believe (hopeful) I can find one with records in the $60's. I looked at 4 so far and 3 had 10 year missing history 2 owner cars, it's now a trust issue. I would rather have records over number of owners.

all the best.

paulchua likes this.
  15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I think we're at a high point in valuation. Things are cyclical and we've had a good steady rise accross the board. Not saying by any means that a F355 is going to go down to 20k (which I would say is pretty trolly) but as was speculated, say a 70k f355 going down to 60k (the 15% example given) I believe is not out of the realm of possibility or reason in the next recession.

This is just my $0.02, and I'm always happy to give a refund if I'm wrong.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Agreed, I have no idea what the future brings. It could skyrocket or we could have a Black swan event, who knows? No denigrating of any car with that viewpoint.
    That said still confused. Just assumed you had some previous crazy post, but looking at your threads, all measured and reasonable..so very surprised at the very harsh response.

17. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    I just sold my car Paul and I got top dollar for it. My car was not the average 355 in condition or rarity but generalizations about any 20+ years old exotic are made foolishly. The day I picked up the car from Ferrari of Los Gatos they had a yellow 246 and a red 246 that I could have bought both for what I wrote a check for my 355. I also remember a certain 512BB for around $75K. 20/20 hindsight is awesome, but predicting the future is impossible.

Jakuzzi and paulchua like this.
  18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Good on you Xenu! I guess it's because I've seen real bashers search 'superdave' or 'bradwilliams' that say (not speculate mind you) that all Ferrari prices will crash (50% or more) and have been saying this for years, in the case of bradwilliams for 6+ years!

So when somebody says prices can go down 10-15% it doesn't raise my eyebrows. Especially when same person says it could skyrocket as well.

Cheers

19. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Unfortunately, bottom feeders and other scavengers make up the majority of the posters on these threads on FChat. If newbies would seek out the experienced owners of 355s instead of regurgitating misinformation or reciting BaT or eBay sales prices of salvage cars, they might learn something. The fact remains that a good car fetches good money and a cheap to purchase 355 will be the most expensive one to own. I have almost 30 years of Ferrari ownership under my belt and I still defer to others on FChat that have quite a bit more knowledge than I ever will on the subject.

People like Dave Lelonek (Dave rocks) or Robb Williamson (Robb) among others have vast real-world experience in the 355 universe. Folks on here should seek out the advice of those with true knowledge on FChat instead of posting unsubstantiated conjecture.

Dave Lelonek gave me great advice on my car that led to me getting an appropriate sales price.

20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I agree with many of your points

The values of these toys at the end of the day is what somebody is willing to pay for it right now, today. The F355, like the iconic 308/328 before are at the mercy on the holy trinity of factors: [True Mileage, Provenance, Condition]

Outside of some rare situations, I've seen a 1X-3X range for the cars mentioned above. A salvage beater F355 with zero records, of course, will be radically different than a 300 mile F355, with two volumes of service records, and the factory plastic cover still on the seats.

The best examples out there will always command an outsized premium, but those that wouldn't be fit for a museum in Maranello - no so much, and it is these examples that I think are more susceptible to macro market conditions.

The commentary I've seen f355930 from seem to apply to the #3, #4 condition type cars, and I argue his ownership (or lack thereof) doesn't make his 15% prognostication far-fetched nor unreasonable. He was always open to the fact he could be wrong, and it goes quite the opposite.

Many of my peers that own various models share his view that we're at a high point and we'll see a reversion to the mean, and then the cycle repeats.

f355930 likes this.
  21. Ricardo Rodriguez

Sep 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ricardo Rodriguez
    355 is one of the most beautiful Ferraris. Sold mine a few years ago and can’t wait to buy another one

Jakuzzi likes this.
  22. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    The market is low in my opinion.

taz355 and paulchua like this.
  23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I agree for the best examples; the F355 is one of the GOATs

24. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    By the time I bought mine that 512 was up to 100. I lovd the 355 better but was def not the better buisness decision.
    Like all things in my life it all ways costs me money for that really big smile.