F12 Water trapped in back hatch | FerrariChat

F12 Water trapped in back hatch

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by 33pds, Oct 13, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 33pds

33pds Karting

Jul 9, 2010
    My F12 got caught in a crazy rainstorm. The car did very well, and was unfazed by terrible traction conditions. But it seems that water has become trapped in the hatch. I can hear it when I open the back. Anyone know the right fix for this?

2. elipinski

elipinski Formula 3

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    Emanuel
    yes, malconstruction, but there is an easy fix- disassemble the bar with the break light in the center, that must be isolated with joint sealing. Best -e

Sent from my iphone with Tapatalk

3. 33pds

33pds Karting

Jul 9, 2010
    Thanks! jp

4. elipinski

elipinski Formula 3

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    Emanuel
    you are wellcome. It works perfect. All the F12s have this problem btw

5. Zaius

Zaius Formula Junior

May 8, 2014
    Where can you get this joint sealing? Will the water drain out if you disassemble?

6. 33pds

33pds Karting

Jul 9, 2010
    Dealer had no idea what to do. E, can you provide just a bit more info so I can point them in the right direction.

jp

7. 33pds

33pds Karting

Jul 9, 2010
    Had the issue again after washing the car--so I gave the dealer the car with elipinski's posts as a guide. They said they found the issue quickly, and was an easy fix. They resealed the brake light as well as the rain gutters. It looks fine, and no new rattles, so I think this is a low risk thing to try.

I have not had any rain since it has been back, so I haven't tested it. But the dealer did a leak test, and said all was ok. I'll keep everyone posted if there are any issues.

8. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Do you know how the center bar is detached from the rear hood? I don't have trapped water yet but would like to perform the fix as a precaution.

Thanks.

9. elipinski

elipinski Formula 3

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    Emanuel
    Solid State, i will perform it soon on my black F12, and then will make a nice photo- documentation for those interested. Its really very easy. Best -e-

10. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    E-

Outstanding. Thanks so much.

11. elipinski

elipinski Formula 3

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    Emanuel
    :)

Sent from my iphone with Tapatalk

12. rgdonnan

rgdonnan Rookie

Sep 18, 2010
    SW FL USA
    Full Name:
    R Donnan
    #12 rgdonnan, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My 2016 F12 also has the water intrusion into the rear hatch issue. Upon opening the hatch to the fully raised position, water could be heard flowing down toward the top area of the hatch since now, when fully open, it was in the lowest position. Water emanated from the corners of the third brake light trim where it meets the top corners of the hatch glass. Upon further inspection I noticed an open area of the weather stripping in those same areas. The attached photos depict this open area that is also within the area that roof water is channeled as it runs off the roof and down the sides of the hatch. I believe this to be the culprit to my water intrusion and perhaps yours. I forwarded the photos and my conclusion to my dealer and await a reply.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Hamishmoon

Hamishmoon Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    Blairgowrie,Scotland
    Full Name:
    Hamish
    Yes mine is exactly the same, as the photos but hoe do you fix it ? But how do you dissasemble the third brake light 😀😀😀😀

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    OK. Just had my F12 detailed and now have water in the hatch. How do you remove the third brake light to clear the water?

15. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Wow this is a bummer. My car isn't built yet...maybe Ferrari could be alerted to the problem and fix it in production ?

tiara likes this.
  16. 33pds

33pds Karting

Jul 9, 2010
    My dealer (Miller) was able to fix it, but they were unwilling to follow any advice from F'chat (fear of quackery, I guess).

FWIW they also said that their research with the factory yielded no advice on the issue, and no awareness of a chronic problem.

They wound up doing a leak test and sealing it themselves.

Once they found it, they fixed it, and all as fine. Draining the water was no big deal as well.

This one surely seems avoidable at the factory, but also proves to be not that big a deal to fix once you take delivery.

17. elipinski

elipinski Formula 3

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    Emanuel
    #17 elipinski, May 1, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi all, as promised, i took some fotos of the sealing process.
    1) Disassemble the upper half of the trim (you need a flexible plastic spoon and then unlock the 6 screws underneath the trim)

2) when you have dismantled the trim (2 min work time) unlock the screws, that hold the third brake light

3) in the corner-edge where the brake light sits in place administer a drop of sealing mass to each corner

put everything back in place.

Time for the hole procedure: 10-15 min.

The problem is, that in the corners there is no drain, thats why the water finds its way on the lateral sides where the glass is mounted, and collects itself at the lowest point; to get rid of the water, leave the trunkbonnet open for at least 1 day, so that all the water can escape.

Again, its a very easy fix. Best -e-

ernie, wtran and bluesea like this.
  18. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Thank you! This will be very helpful. :)

19. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    e-

Awesome. Thanks so much for posting. You make it look so easy that I am embarrassed to admit I spent time dissembling the lower trim thinking it had to come off and then the side trim in order for the top trim to release. It looked to me that the side trim pieces lock into the top. I was unable to remove the lower piece due to fear of breaking.

If you have the time, I have some questions/observations. Please correct or confirm.

1. From your photos, you only need to remove the top inner trim piece – the side trim does not lock into the top trim.
    2. Top trim comes off with plastic trim spoon needed only and you pry to release the looks like (7) snaps in the top trim – (4) across the bottom and (3) across the top with no screws to remove
    3. The brake light removal consists of unbolting (4) screws and there are (2) snaps to pop – one on each end. Connector is in the center.
    4. To drain you just let it air dry with brake light removed.

Thanks so much again. I have never had luck removing trim without damage on other cars. Just don’t know how hard to pry or if there are screws involved. This guide is invaluable to me and I’m sure others here. Superb black paint by the way!

20. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    So every f12 will leak like this ?

21. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
    There is are two small voids as discussed in this thread between the upper horizontal trim above the brake lights and the two side vertical trims. All I did was place a drop of clear silicone and that seemed to have solved my problem so far. Drove it in rain and no issues. I got the outdoor window sealing silicone from Home Depot.

Hope this helps!

ernie likes this.
  22. Milanno

Milanno Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2012
    Its pretty cool to see that most owners in topic are ready to fix this issue alone :)

23. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    It's a shame this issue exists to begin with considering the price of these cars...
    Sadder yet...it hasn't been addressed by the factory. Surely they are aware of it.

24. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    Unfortunately they dont care. All of their F12's are sold. They can sell more if they like with any of these small flaws. They just plainly dont care. If they did, it's a 5 second fix during assembly of the car. Wish the factory didnt have this attitude...but hey it's Ferrari and now I have a small project this weekend for my F12

25. F12JAJ

F12JAJ Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    California
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I have a 2014 F12 and I noticed after a car wash that even 2 days later there was hard water stains coming out of the rear glass but at the bottom of the trunk lid, not from the 3rd bright light and when I tried wiping in that area, more water would emerge. Do you think this is connected to the same problem with the seal around the 3rd brake light?