F12 tdf market price thread | Page 19 | FerrariChat

F12 tdf market price thread

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Ferrari 308 Vetro, Nov 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dansage

Dansage Karting

May 20, 2012
    It didn't actually sell it's back in inventory at the dealer who put it up for sale. I'll try and throw them an offer and see what happens..

2. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Wonder why the pricing on this one is behind the other sales at Monterey. The spec looks quite nice.

3. gef3rd

gef3rd Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 21, 2009
    Palos Verdes Estates
    Full Name:
    George
    In the Bonham’s write up the car sustained damage to the fender and bumper. The fact that it was a 2016, high relative mileage, and the disclosed repair work affected the value.

The Mecum prices only include the 10% buyer’s premium if the car sells. So in the case of the $1 million TDF that didn’t sell, the actual bid was $1.1 million.

4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Well there ya go.
    2M buys mine from me!

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

GreenLantern likes this.
  5. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    I have 3 daughters and the eldest drives a Mini John Cooper Works, so she is not unfamiliar with the pleasure of driving a quick car. However she would buy a driverless car is 5 minutes if they were available in the market...Really sad...

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

dcmetro likes this.
  6. GreenLantern

GreenLantern Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 23, 2010
    CA, NV, TX
    Hmm, I'd love to buy a "discount" F12 TDF and drive the hell out of it. I daily drove my 997.2 GT2 RS and put ~18k miles on it over a period of 14 months. Would be killer to do the same to an F12 TDF. I can only stomach doing that if I have another sitting around that's kept pristine (but still driven) though.

And yes, my left leg quads got pretty strong after DDing a GT2 RS. :D

7. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I think the red on this tdf is stunning. The overall presentation of the exterior and interior look really good in person. The other tdf at Mecum looked rather "blah" by comparison.

8. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Great post.
    Try telling some of the fxxls on another thread that the new gen doesn’t value cars like we do and see how delusional they are,
    Muscle cars will have quite a crash as we age.
    Looking fwd to buying a tdf in the next recession.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  9. RomanD

RomanD Karting

Jan 7, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Roman Daniel
    Hello everyone, I'm now looking over a potential purchase of an F12 TDF somewhere in Q2 of next year. I'm wondering is this car is a good buy with the way the market it. I'm going to be looking for one in Switzerland and the market there is 850,000 CHF to 950,000 CHF. Will the market be completely different in Q2? Is it a good long term investment? Should I be scared to drive it too much if I do buy it? Should I keep it for the rest of my life? I'm a bit scattered. The reason why i'm considering this acquisition is because from my current knowledge this car is pretty much free to own because it should hold it's value. But mainly because every time I look at it I just have some sort of experience in my eyes that's magical. Also the fact that I only need to use 10% of the throttle to be amazed on and on.

I know this is a mouthful but i'd appreciate some insight. :)

10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    really impossible to answer these question. if you love it and have the money buy one. if you buy one with low miles and you plan to use it, it will definitely depreciate. It also depends on what they do with the 812 tdf. if they make 3k 812 tdfs i think the f12 tdf will be stable. Also if you are in canada arent you better off buying an american one so that if you want to sell it you have a bigger audience on this continent?

RomanD and of2worlds like this.
  11. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    You mentioned possibly keeping it forever - if that's the case, then values would be irrelevant, no? It's impossible to predict where values are going, but for many collectibles, the values are trending upwards. Long term, who knows?

If you love the car, and can afford it, then buy it. I would never look at a passionate purchase with values in mind. Buy it, and drive it as much as you care to - you only live once.

RomanD, daytona355 and Golden Steed like this.
  12. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    You took the words right out of my mouth. If you're not going to enjoy it, what the hell was the purpose in making all that money in the first place.

My only issue is: a million dollar car. I wouldn't want a car I wasn't going to drive, and I can't see driving a car that expensive. I mean, some effing old lady slamming her Camry door into my ride at Safeway would give me a heart attack.

RomanD likes this.
  13. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Simple, have some hired hands park their Camry's on either side of your car at the grocery, boxing you in, all good ;)

What, no entourage? Then take the truck to the grocery and the super ride out for a drive!

As for the original post, 'free to own' is the major qualifier? Then what does it matter than price in Q2, what about when you then sell it? I cannot imagine prices nose drive, for what the car is, there is no substitute.

RomanD likes this.
  14. RomanD

RomanD Karting

Jan 7, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Roman Daniel
    Thank you for your response. I'm planning on moving so that's why.

15. RomanD

RomanD Karting

Jan 7, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Roman Daniel
    I can't agree more. I'm just very technical with purchases. Would be cool to have 10 years later or even more.

16. RomanD

RomanD Karting

Jan 7, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Roman Daniel
    Switzerland is a very calm country I'd feel safe driving it there. There are many tdf owners there. It's just for me it keeps hitting me as if I drive it 4K a year it will depreciate too much to the point where I could've bought and owned a new 812 every 3 years.

17. RomanD

RomanD Karting

Jan 7, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Roman Daniel
    I agree, it's how much it'll dive if I drive it let's say 3000 - 5000 KM/year. That's the depreciation i'm talking about. And yes that's a good point.

18. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    It would be a blast to own. None of us can predict the future, but it's worth noting that the F12 tdf has the highest production number of any special edition V12 production Ferrari. More were made than were made of its predecessors the 599 GTO, 575 SA or 550 Barchetta, the latter being more of a convertible than a special edition in that it had identical mechanicals and suspension to the standard 550. There are also more tdfs than F512Ms, these not being special editions per se but last of the line run outs with less weight, more power and uprated suspension. Before that (Testarossa) lineage the BB didn't have a special edition and then you are back in the 1960s/early 70s.
    The tdf is a very different car to most of those of course and has most in common with the 599 GTO, but nevertheless, 800 examples made does not make it super rare; whether that will affect values significantly, nobody knows.

RomanD likes this.
  19. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    Reason #352 why I think the Portofino is such a great buy. If I wait until 2020 or 2021 and get one pre-owned but still under warranty I will have shed most of the initial depreciation. Now I can just drive the thing into the ground with impunity, put 200k on the clock as I enjoy the hell out of it, then donate what's left to charity. I don't have to think about depreciation, I get to have my fun, and some little kids benefit in the end. Everybody wins.

RomanD likes this.
  20. RomanD

RomanD Karting

Jan 7, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Roman Daniel
    That's a great way of looking at it. I'll definitely consider a portofino. I like it's sound better than the 488. Seems like a pretty cool car but I gotta drive it. From my experience with some cars i've driven is how misleading the online reviews are.

21. RomanD

RomanD Karting

Jan 7, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Roman Daniel
    Thank you for the information. It's crazy how inflated these damn tdf's got.

22. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Its never a good sign when you see a post where 'free to own' and 'long term investment' are the impetus to modern Ferrari ownership. No one can answer those questions. There's a lot to love with an F12 TDF hence the price. Many of the owners here have no intention of selling theirs. If you do purchase one it would be a shame to not drive it for fear of depreciation. Buy it because its the best version of the best car Ferrari made and its ownership dramatically improves your happiness.

RomanD and ewright like this.
  23. RomanD

RomanD Karting

Jan 7, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Roman Daniel
    Thank you for responding. Do you really believe the F12 is the best car? Also by long term investment I really meant it being a classic. I'm not wanting to make money off of it if I buy it. I'm just curious if it will be a 2 million dollar car in 15 years. Free to own might've been a stretch but they really don't depreciate by years more of by km. And maintenance shouldn't be too much if it's not driven more than 5k a year.

24. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Certainly an opinion, but I do believe it is the best modern Ferrari. The entire F12 series including the many SPs (TRS, SP America, F60 etc.) and the TDF are just amazing supercars. Do some research and watch a few motor journalist video reviews. Will it double in value over the next 15 years? Hard to say - probably not. I think it offers at $1.xM and sells around $1m depending on spec. It will definitely hold value as good as any modern LE but keep in mind that many of these are not really driven. If you do 5K/yr. that would be high mileage in the US and sell for the lower end of the scale. True with all Ferrari's. Maintenance would not be of any concern if under the full/extended warrantee and within the 7 years 'free'. If your spending the price for a beastly F12 TDF then maintenance would not really be an issue at all. They are very reliable cars anyway. Good luck!

RomanD likes this.
  25. RomanD

RomanD Karting

Jan 7, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Roman Daniel
    Thank you once again. I know the cars amazing but the tdf is said to give all the excitement in only 10-30% throttle. That feeling of you being scared in a way sounds amazing to me. And as I mentioned I will be looking at the purchase in Switzerland where they are trading at about 850K-950K. And it would probably be better to drive it for around 3,000KM which is a trip to monaco and back once a year along with some fun mountain driving every weekend and a few business meetings. Now that I said that 3,000KM actually seems to go a long way haha.