F12 Strong fuel smell | FerrariChat

F12 Strong fuel smell

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Alexfor8, Jan 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alexfor8

Alexfor8 Rookie

Aug 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    ALEXANDER FOREST
    2016 F12 - Has anyone encountered a strong fuel smell after refueling and parking in the garage? It does not do it everytime but seems to be more common after just refueling in warmer weather (70+ F). The dealer replaced the filler neck and that seemed to take care of it for a while but I noticed the smell again a few weeks ago. I am leaning towards the evap canister...

2. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I never experienced this. I think you are on the right track and would have the dealer work on this.

3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    wld wld make sense is if you left the car out in freezing temp, gassed it up and then parked it in your heated garage - wanna know how i know!?!?!?!?

but if its 70 degrees and you are filling it up the tank isnt expanding like it is when it goes from zero to 60 degrees.

Caeruleus11 and 4_Eff_Sake like this.
  4. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Per someone else’s suggestion.

Try parking in race mode on the manettino. See if it changes the fuel smell behavior.

SV

5. Alexfor8

Alexfor8 Rookie

Aug 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    ALEXANDER FOREST
    ... It's always in race mode

Fabian Di Maria likes this.
  6. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    That was easy!

SV

7. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I know on the 612 and 599 models there can be problem with the plastic caps that secure the fuel pumps into the top of the fuel tank cracking and spewing out fuel. I have no idea if the F12's have this kind of set up, but it could be worth checking out.

The photo shows that cap on my 612 when it cracked and fuel was squirting out. Interestingly, you could smell gas in the cabin, but there was never any evidence on the ground. The panels kept it contained.

Attached Files:

Makuono, Caeruleus11 and ScottS like this.
  8. F12_CDR5

F12_CDR5 Rookie

Feb 28, 2016
    Malaysia
    Full Name:
    S Siva
    I had the same problem of petrol smell and dealer changed the top end of the fuel nozzle. I was told that the part was an upgraded one for new F12’s. After the change, I’m pleased to inform that the problem is resolved

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

R J likes this.
  9. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Just noticed this. My garage has a very strong gas smell today after i drove the car...

10. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    Happened to me once after driving the Pista around hard. Went and completely filled the tank to 100%% full. Was done with the refueling and home in the garage about 5 minutes later.

In my case, I think it was vapor lock. Enough heat built up under the rear glass and with a full tank that might not have settled, I easily could have had vapor lock.

It has never happened again. Or before that. It is the only time I have ever filled a Ferrari to the absolute brim after driving hard and then parked a few minutes later.

I am pretty sure in my case it was vapor lock.

Alexcle and ryalex like this.
  11. Alexcle

Alexcle Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex D
    Have this happen on my f12 occasionally where it’s strong smell filling the garage.

It happens when I drove it he’d or stab the throttle parking in. Usually if I take it out and drive it again a little. It is gone and I park back. I am no mechanic but Maybe it is left over gas flooded in exhaust or vent?

ryalex likes this.
  12. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Fuel smell? I wouldn’t be listening to any advice that didn’t start with “get it to your dealer”. I had similar in a 430. I tried doing what you’re doing and eventually gave in. It was an expensive fix but if I had left it unattended the car would have gone up.

Caeruleus11 and sampelligrino like this.
  13. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    This

If I fart in my car and it smells weird, let alone I smell fuel, I'm calling my service advisor (lol)

14. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    This could be it. I was feathering the throttle a lot into my garage that night. I'm still getting used to positioning it.

To me, the fumes were coming from the fuel filler cap. I shimmied it around a bit with my fingertip; it was bad one night but hasn't seemed to have returned.