F12 Status 20 | Page 8 | FerrariChat

F12 Status 20

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by deltona, Feb 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    :))))

2. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Wonderful grey machine. Congrats !

ahah

3. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Ferro is stunning!

4. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    #179 deltona, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. luckyguy

luckyguy Karting

Nov 18, 2016
    venice italy
    lovely!

6. Musicman

Musicman Karting

Feb 8, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham

Looks just great - love that colour!!!

Well worth waiting for - enjoy the miles ahead.

Graham

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Great pictures Justin, congratulations again because the car looks superb and is an absolute beauty.

8. FFMAC

FFMAC Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mac
    Congrats Justin!! Stunning!! Have fun!!

9. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill

Congrats Justin !! Beautiful! Lots of wonderful drives ahead for you....

10. seawise

seawise Karting

Feb 29, 2016
    Sussex, UK
    very special, congrats

11. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Perfect Justin, almost, as you know!

It's just such a great colour and I hope, after all your agonising, that you are thrilled with the result, and that's only the aesthetics. Once you drive her a bit, it can only get better. Congratulations.

12. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    #187 deltona, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Thanks everyone!

About 200 miles so far and I'm rapidly learning what a great all rounder this car is. The gearbox is much smoother than my FF (2013) was, especially at low rpm, so pottering around in city traffic is a doddle, the seats are comfortable and ride is supple in Bumpy Road. Also no tramlining at all on uneven roads.

As for the power, it is simply staggering and i haven't even had the nerve to give it full throttle yet. For now Sport mode and 75% throttle will suffice.

I honestly don't know if i could ever not have a V12 Ferrari in my garage. The sound is so special. I was at Topaz at the end of the day collecting my car. I had to wait around for over an hour as the number plates weren't fitted to my car so i watched and listened and they moved all sorts of supercars around between their two workshops. Mclaren, Porsche, Ferrari, Bugatti, Lamborghini etc. I know sound is personal and subjective but the only car that sounded remotely better than the F12b was an F12 tdf.

I had a brief drive after a small shower yesterday, the road was greasy, especially as it hasn't rained for quite a while and ambient temperate about 12C. The Michelin PSS2s had no grip issue at all. I was hoping my car might get delivered with the new Pilot Sport 4 but the 2's seem just fine.

Many have said that the steering is too fast on the F12. I think it is absolutely perfect. Even on straight line motorway drives i really like it's directness.

The infotainment system is actually pretty good. It will take me a while to get used to the controls but the graphics and TFT screens are much better quality than my FF and the High Power Hifi is pretty good with plenty of adjustabilty, and I am fussy about audio. The Navigation is also much more up to date and full postcode.

There is one small issue with the car. At low speed with steering close to full lock and turning at low speed manoeuvering there is a high pitch squeaking that sounds like metal touching metal. I need to get someone to listen outside the car but i think its coming from one of the wheel wells. Could even be a parking brake slightly sticking? It's not audible with windows closed and only at low speed but I will get it looked at as soon as possible. Any suggestions?

13. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Some interior pics taken by Topaz.

14. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    #189 deltona, Apr 21, 2017
  15. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    #190 deltona, Apr 21, 2017
  16. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    #191 deltona, Apr 21, 2017
  17. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    #192 deltona, Apr 21, 2017
  18. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    #193 deltona, Apr 21, 2017
  19. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    #194 deltona, Apr 21, 2017
  20. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    #195 deltona, Apr 21, 2017
  21. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    #196 deltona, Apr 21, 2017
  22. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Beautiful! Congratulations! I love how it came out, well done! Some thoughts

I had the same experience with the FF, I thought the transmission was not as smooth as I would have liked and it also exhibited far more tramlining than I would have imagined. Mine also felt like the alignment wasn't quire right as the steering effort and response from initial turn in until apex varied more than I would have imagined and never before experienced in a Ferrari. In the end the car and I just didn't get along. I find it interesting since the F12 is built on a version of the same platform. Another friend has described the F12b as Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde- and I think that's a great way to describe the car. I think Ferrari did a masterful job with the F12b. So much so, that even 5+ years after we first saw it, it still looks fresh and the driving experience doesn't feel behind the times at all. Quite an accomplishment by a company that is delivering some of the finest cars right now.

You are doing it the smart way. The most important part of the car is you, so you need to calibrate yourself with the car. And this really is such a powerful car. I think when Jeremy Clarkson said he thought it had too much power, some of that was purely for dramatic effect, but I do think his point that the car has tons of power is right. You really do have to recalibrate your senses. But once you do, that last 25% will really impress you. Also make sure to break in the tires. I think you are probably close by now.

The MPSS are really great tires. But I am convinced it is not just the tires at work here. I think the "secret" to Ferrari's recent success is not simply the obvious: incredible motors (true!). But rather its the integration of all the various electronic and physical systems so the experience of driving the car feels very natural and even "organic" (probably an over used word for cars). I am sure this is one of those things where its a mix of science and artistry. Which is apropos for an Italian company- they really do that so well! My F12 replaced a 599, which had F1 Trac but not the e-diff. And I had fitted the same MPSS tires to the 599, and though the 599 weighs more and was down on power, the 599 would still struggle to put power down unless it was fairly warm and the pavement mostly smooth. By comparison, the F12b almost feels like its got AWD. It doesn't, but the F12b is much more confidence inspiring in terms of power application- whether it be for a launch or powering out of corners. I also agree with you about the steering. For me it's almost perfect. I would like a little more steering feel. But that is this newer generation of cars. The steering is super precise, but compared to the prior generation, in this case the 599, there is a little less feel. The difference is more pronounced from the 430->458. However, the overall car in the case of the newer ones, feels much more high quality. And there is still some feel. Its just less.

This is something that matters to me also. I believe the 2017 models have the updated system from the 488. It's not critical, but its nice to have. And I find the system works very well.

I'm not sure. I can tell you with my car coming off the main road on to my local street, if I take the turn at like 25 MPH I can feel something like a pump or some kind of device seemingly working. I had the same sensation with the FF and I (obviously mistakenly) thought it was the 4RM. But now it happens with the F12 too. And its only in this one circumstance. But theres no squeaking noise.

In your case, with a metal touching metal noise- I wonder if somehow a small pebble or other piece of road debris has lodged itself somewhere? I had this occur on an older car a year ago, driving just off a gravel road, a small pebble got stuck somehow in the cars brake system - I suspect between the rotor and maybe the guard behind it? It was an awful sound like I was scraping metal against metal and I was able to dislodge it with a hard panic type stop. I wonder if a CCM brake sticking would make such a sound? I suspect not.

In my case I think its just the normal functioning of the car. In your case, maybe you could get someone to film it and pass it along to the dealer.... I hope its nothing or very minor.

I can't wait to hear more of your driving impressions. It is such a wonderful car, congratulations again!

23. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Yes please--beautiful!

24. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Thanks for the kind comments Caeruleus11 & IPO1

I am guessing that at some point between my 2013FF and 2017 F12b there must have been some kind of software/hardware update to the gearbox as there is a very noticeable difference in smoothness and precision of changes.

I had a run yesterday on a familiar stretch of road, first in Sport and then again in Race and there is a considerable difference in dynamics from the snappier gear change and also the traction control intervenes a fair bit less. I delved a bit deeper in that last 25% throttle and my word what a difference there is. Quite brutal.

I know what you mean about steering feel. I always used to want maximum feedback and meaty feel in my steering as back in the day I used to drive Delta Integrales. At first in my FF i thought the steering was too light but I soon adjusted to it and F12 feels fine, perhaps could do with some more feel although when driving it never seems to bother me. It will be interesting to see what the 812 electric steering is like.

Re the noise in the wheel well, the description you give of something like a stone being stuck in the brakes/wheels somewhere is quite possible but it only seems to happen with increased steering lock to the left.

There is something else i've noticed that i'd appreciate feedback from other F12 owners on. I have noticed an issue that at 1500 rpm the engine shudders a little. It's not really bad but it is noticeable when stationary. I first noticed it at cold start as 1500rpm is idle until the engine warms and drops to 1000rpm whre it disappears. At first i thought it was just a warm up issue, but even when warm after a drive, if i go into Neutral and rev to 1500 there is an engine vibration where something feels unbalanced. It only does it at 1500rpm, no lower or higher in the rev range. Again I will get this checked out when i get the wheel noise looked at but has anyone had similar or is this normal. I certainly didn't get in my FF and didn't expect it from a V12. Could it even be a running in matter that will disappear with some miles?

Off to do some mixed driving today and if the weather holds later to give her her first wash. I think i'll enjoy cleaning an F12 as it will help me appreciate those lines even more. :)

25. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Justin it's great to ear that you are enjoying your F12b as much as you can and in due course taking the pulse to the animal. You mentioned the power is staggering and I completely agree with you because having had mine already for over one month the other day, for the first time, I gave it full throttle on a motorway straight and after reaching 3rd gear totally smashed to the back of the seat, I didn't have the courage and the road space to continuo with the adventure.

Sound wise I can only compare the F12b to a world class symphonic orchestra where every instrument is in absolute tune and does it's part to perfection. When I received my F12b I had to take it to an inspection center for verifying a number which is engraved underneath the engine and one of the inspectors asked me if he could film and record the exhaust sound and believe me I felt very uncomfortable with the request because the place was full of cars and people but I ended up condescending. I reved the engine and the sound reverberated across this big building and as I expected and to my complete embarrassment everyone focused their sight on the car. When I thought this person was happy with the recording and felt that it was my big opportunity to run away, he asked me to have a second go but this time with the exhaust valves open. With a face which didn't look very happy I agreed to do it again and pressed the Capristo remote control to open everything. When I reved the music that came out of the exhausts I believe replicated the celestial sound of the formula 1 Ferraris I remember listening to in the 80's when I used to follow the pre-races at Estoril circuit from the boxes and before I could get out of the car, it was completely surrounded by a crowd of people.

The steering I love it for being direct and having a milimetrical precision.