F12 single click noise when driving off manual 1st gear | FerrariChat

F12 single click noise when driving off manual 1st gear

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by colonels, Aug 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    with my windows down i've been noticing this single click noise when pulling away slowly from a dead stop. usually i need to be next to a car and the sound is echoed back. but i tested on a quiet neighborhood street and i hear it 90% of the time. it's always 1 click only, slightly metallic like a single pop from a hot exhaust contracting, but it's definitely not exhaust backfire or overrun. it usually happens when i go about 5 feet. i sometimes think i hear it when i slow down as well in 1st gear to a dead stop. windows have to be down can't hear it with windows up.

race mode, manual, 90F ambient temps, slow acceleration 1st gear from dead stop.

stock exhaust but with the vacuum hoses pulled and plugged.

2. Nathan360

Nathan360 Karting

Apr 17, 2010
    Manchester / England
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Had this in my masser QP
    It was the splines only the hub having slight play.

I could also make it happen downshifting into high revs with engine drag

fix was to take the drive shafts out, coat the splines in something and put back in then leave to cure 24 hours before driving.

It was like an advanced glue but I can’t remember the name. If no one else chimes in I’ll ring the mechanic.

colonels likes this.
  3. Nathan360

Nathan360 Karting

Apr 17, 2010
    Manchester / England
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Dredged my inbox for you!

“Removed driveshafts, cleaned splines, re-fitted with retaining compound and new hub nuts”parts £51 labour £200

hope it does the trick for you. It’s annoying.

colonels likes this.
  4. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    Hmmm it seems like the issue you described would make multiple clicking noises. Mine is always 1 single click on take off and coming to a stop. Only 1. Is that the same?

I was thinking it was the rear differential does that make clicking noises?

5. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    added video you can hear it sometimes as several clicks on acceleration and when i let off the gas just before exhaust burbles/cracks

6. Nathan360

Nathan360 Karting

Apr 17, 2010
    Manchester / England
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    One single click was my symptom.

colonels likes this.
  7. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    thanks did you see the video? was it similar to that? i have appt next week to diagnose will let you know.

8. Nathan360

Nathan360 Karting

Apr 17, 2010
    Manchester / England
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Hi - watched it now. (Often in bed when I find time for this stuff)

anyway I neeeded yo floor it to get the click, and likewise downshift for heavy engine braking effect.

I hope you have a good Indy that you trust as that is where I’d go. Might not be the same as mine, but you have another bit of knowledge for the aresnal. I wouldn’t have believed it could be the splines

9. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    thanks 2 independent shops agree it is the splines, fix with an adhesive
    funny enough one of the guys was from a Ferrari Maserati dealership he said all the Grantourismos and Quattros made that noise it was common knowledge

10. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    the actual fix was the 1 time use nut that attaches the axle splines to the wheels not being torqued properly
    i don't think they used any adhesive
    500 fix if anyone has this issue they also said it wasn't a major problem more of an annoyance, i could have kept driving with the click noise