F12 seats | FerrariChat

F12 seats

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Pinarello, Aug 22, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pinarello

Pinarello Karting

Sep 20, 2013
    Visalia
    Full Name:
    Roberto Gugig
    I am considering purchasing a F12, my main question is regarding the seats, I will use this daily ( I currently use my FF daily but no longer need 4 seats) how comfortable are the race seats!, I can use and sit on the standard FF seats for hours without problems!, any one had or driven both seats ?
    Any input appreciated as would help narrow down the cars

2. RipVega

RipVega Karting

Jan 12, 2014
    Berkshire
    I have them in both my F12 and 458. Without doubt the most comfortable seats I've ever had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ewright likes this.
  3. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Race seat is not for a long trip. 1hr is max for me.

4. RipVega

RipVega Karting

Jan 12, 2014
    Berkshire
    I drove my F12 back from Maranello with race seats. 1200 miles of sheer comfort.

5. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    The race seats are great...if a fluffy pillow feel is your thing, don't get them. I am comfortable for hours in the race seats in my 458. I have them ordered for my F12.

6. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    +1 on the Race seats. Don't have the F12, but have experienced those same seats on two different F cars and love them.

7. Tupps11

Tupps11 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2009
    I love my race seats. My wife...not so much.

I had them in my Scuderia, and now in my F12. I did several long trips across Europe in both cars without any issues. Make sure you don't order anything less than a size Large. Im only 164cm and 68kg and i had to order the size L.

If you are close to my height, you MUST order the seat lifter option.

8. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    what you're hearing is the race seats are great, IF they "fit" you.

Some may find them too confining, or would prefer to have a few more adjustments.

We had them in our F12 and they were really comfortable, we also did a 1200 mile road trip in our Speciale in these seats. Our ears were tired, but our butts and backs were good to go.

Obviously, best test is to find a car with them and sit in them for as long as you can, even if parked. The "standard" seats are very good (and similar to the FF seats).

9. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Agreed - race seats are very comfortable for trips long and short. Just did 1,500km in mine over 4 days and they're just so comfortable and supportive especially when pushing it.

10. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    #10 Bundy, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    Also a fan of the F12 race seats. Definitely firm, but comfortable during a 450 mile single day drive. I plan to get the Goldrake seats in my 488, too, based on my F12 experience. I'm 5'9" tall and 205 lb. Have the seat lifter clicked up one notch off the bottom setting.

My favorite race seats are still the deep Porsche 996 GT3 seats in my 993TT.

11. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I also love the race seats but I think the fact that the regular type of seat worked so well for you with the FF means that's the safe choice if you can't find an F12 to try the race seats first. You should definitely try the race seats.

12. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    You guys must be in great shape! I couldn't drive 1200 miles in a single trip even when I was 20 without a pillow for my low back. I recently did 500 miles in a single trip in the standard F12 seats which are super comfortable and adjustable and used a small folded hand towel for extra support before I even started. Those race seats would murder me without any form of adjustment.

13. Hamishmoon

Hamishmoon Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    Blairgowrie,Scotland
    Full Name:
    Hamish
    Had the Daytonas in my 458 and race seats in F12 no comparison race seats everytime including my good lady 😀

14. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    +1
    I should have mentioned this before when recommending them. They need to fit you. Also, another poster suggested the Large seats that is important as well as even the large can be snug depending on your size. Also from a re-sale standpoint the smaller sized racing seats are pretty undesirable.

FYI, for sizing, I am 6ft 180lbs and find them to be fantastic. Also I find them to be very comfortable relative to racing seats offered by other manufacturers. For example, I found the seats in the Carrera GT were very uncomfortable and the racing buckets in the McLaren to be also a lot less comfortable for longer drives. In the case of the McLaren they have quite large bolsters along the leg which can be a bit too constraining for some on longer drives. So, at the very least, they fit differently to those seats. Specifically I think they are less of a hardcore seat in terms of shape compared to those.

Should not be too hard to find some to try as, in terms of shape, Ferrari has been using the same racing seat since at least the f430. Further most Atelier areas have them unmounted to try out.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

15. patekswiss

patekswiss Formula 3

Mar 31, 2014
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo

Standard seat is your best bet

Spezia likes this.
  16. Ferro458

Ferro458 Karting

May 26, 2014
    The race seats are very comfortable, and I have them. The main issue is that they are low and there is no adjustment mechanism. If you want to sit a little higher I think you have to develop a shim solution.

I don't know if anyone has done that successfully.

17. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    I have on my car. I had to machine 1.5 inch blocks to bolt between the seat and the rails to raise my seat 1.5". I tried to retrofit the seat lifter and there is no way. The seat with a lifter is totally different than the one without a lifter.

18. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I will also note for a car with the lifter, its only on the driver side. My passengers would like a lifter too! And I just noticed the drivers seat has more depth to the bottom- a little more anti-submarining feature. I had a look at the race seats in my 458 and its the same there too..

I'm interested in the 1.5" block solution. Can you post a little bit more on it?

To the OP- have you tried out the race seats? I think comfortable and supportive seats are critical to driving so I think you really have to find out what works best for you.

19. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I am going through the same dilemma speccing my F12 on another thread.

i currently have an FF with Daytonas so I'm used to the thick padding.

I sat in some F12 sports seats and they are very comfortable. I'm 5 ft 11 and 74kg.

The issue I have is that the sport seat might not be adjustable enough for my ideal position as I always spend weeks getting my seat right in a new car.

Also the fact that you can't have heated seats is a problem for my wife!

I went with Leaf style in the end as to me they look the most sporty alternative but have all the adjustments and heated seat option.

20. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Race seats so beautiful - worth the slight compromise

21. AutobahnAndTrack

AutobahnAndTrack Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2014
    Frankfurt, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stefan G
    Had backpain in my Merc S600. No pain at all in the race seats. 6h commute to and from race track plus 250mls of action. Miss a 6pt harness though ;)

As said, you must try if it fits.

I have like 250lbs. When I wear a thick sweater the race seat will be slightly to narrow and is a pain.

22. victorg

victorg Rookie

May 2, 2017
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Victor Gonzalez
    I am in the market for a pre-owned F12. I found a 2017 with carbon race seats but no lifter on the driver side. I also found a 2015 with carbon race seats that has a lifter on the driver side, but the 2015 has a weird background - its 1st service reported in Hungary, but the car was delivered in Florida. Dealer told me it was probably a demo car or used by Ferrari of North America for corso pilota. Does anyone know whether the driver lifter was an option? Or was it only available in markets other than North America?

23. Spezia

Spezia Karting

Dec 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    John Weires
    I wanted to like the racing seats but they pointed my knees up in the air too much cutting off circulation to my legs and feet.
    I'm 5'8" and 157 lbs with shorter legs so that may be the problem.

24. RDItalian

RDItalian Rookie

Jun 17, 2019
    Nor. Cal - Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Driver side lifter was an option I have it on my 2014. Can’t say I use it much as I’m the only driver but it is nice for fine tuning your driving position.

25. Altoria F

Altoria F Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2020
    France
    Full Name:
    P
    Just drove a >1000km trip with my new (to me) F12 with the carbon/Alcantara race seats (L size, I'm 6,3' and 190lbs)
    They are beautifull and well designed but pretty stiff; comfortable at the sense they fit and maintain well your body but a bit harsh for a DD imho.
    I didn't want the oem seats because I find them ugly but they are pretty comfortable for a DD.
    I didn't want the Daytona seats because I already have them in the FF, but they are the best compromise imho: nice and comfortable, only a lack of maintain if you track the car.