F12 Paint Bubbling | Page 6 | FerrariChat

F12 Paint Bubbling

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by acadmd, Mar 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    That corrosion does look bad. So it's bolted on, unlikely partially glued on for the FF.

What about dipping the grill to coat it and reinstall? That will get rid of the bimetal contact.

2. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I guess as long as the vents never get wet...including washing, you might be in the clear. Looks like wheel well access ?

3. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
  4. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Would love confirmation of where to access to vent mounting bolts via wheel well liner or interior boot panels ? Thanks in advance. To me, if I can get them off, I can protect the paint via the use of some sort of gasket between vent and body and anti corrosion grease on bolts holding vent in place. Why wait for it to bubble and have Ferrari fix ? I would rather save my original paint.

5. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    I agree. I’d like to know how to get to them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Why would you mess around with them if you do not have a problem?
    It seems that most cars are fine and do not have this problem, the chances are it would have showed up by now if was going to happen.
    I wash mine all the time as its fine.
    Quite a few of the problem cars seem to be black from what I have noted.
    Just my thoughts

7. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Because if you don't look from inside/underneath you won't know if there is a problem until it's too late. How about the dissimilar metal mesh on the hood ? Anyone experience galvanic corrosion there ?
    A simple gasket, which Ferrari appears to have attempted to make (black outline underneath the body vent opening) which is suppose to keep the mesh (insulated) away from the aluminum body and not corrode (galvanic current).

8. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    On our sailboat we used white lithium grease to coat dissimilar metals exposed to the salt water & air. In closed areas a simple coating lasted approx 1 yr. Result were satisfactory on the aluminum masts

of2worlds likes this.
  9. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    I’m still curious how to access those. Doesn’t look to be from inside the trunk liner area. I don’t think they are easy to get to

10. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    If I were a betting man...remove the rear wheel, then the carpeted wheel well liner. That is how you most likely access them.

11. Gullwing

Gullwing Karting

Aug 30, 2016
    I’m seeing it on both vents and both doors now. So something isn’t right and it’s not just the differing materials. Good job there’s a four year warranty.

of2worlds likes this.
  12. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    What color is your car?

13. Gullwing

Gullwing Karting

Aug 30, 2016
    Nero Daytona

of2worlds likes this.
  14. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Another black one to add to the list

of2worlds likes this.
  15. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    That’s a good observation. Any red ones having this happen?

16. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    What's the reason that it happens more to black ones?

17. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I think this issue is colorblind. Looks to me that they brush on a thick black rubber like material to act as a gasket between the two dissimilar metals...the aluminum body vent opening and the painted steel mesh. If the gasket was applied in a sloppy manner and electrical contact made via water getting in between body and mesh...electrolysis like corrosion could ensue. This is my theory based on the pictures supplied in this thread.

18. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I respectfully disagree. Contact does not appear to be made initially through the insulating black dielectric. If you look at the photos, the most corrosion seems to be at the bolts that hold on the vents. The stud is aluminum and attached to the body. The vent is dissimilar metal and is only isolated by presumably a washer under the nut that tightens down. Once the nut touches the vent metal you've got the issue. At that point, water crossing over any boundary such as the black gasket you can grow the corrosion. You have to isolate the studs and nuts from the vent material or else it won't stop the corrosion even if you replace the black isolating material with a more suitable one.

Everything must be isolated and appropriate for all weather and vibration conditions. That or make the vents out of the same alloy as the body. In this scenario, I see no relation to the external body paint color. However, no one has posted an issue with cars earlier than 2015. You would think time and exposure plays into it so why not the earlier years yet. Could be not enough samples identified (likely) or something changed in the construction on the later year cars. Can anyone post the condition on a 2013 or 2014 car?

colonels and _TS like this.
  19. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    ^^^^Well that is better news if your correct. I think I will have my rear wheel off at some point this summer and remove the wheel well liner to see if that gives me access. If so, I am lossening the nuts and removing the vents for inspection and reinstallation the proper way. In the mean time, that area on the car does not get wet.

20. MatNZ

MatNZ Karting

Jun 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    MatNZ
    I have seen and heard of 5 F12s in New Zealand that have done and do need the paint correction. My F12 is 2017 and brand new so I am monitoring. My panel beater who is doing an F12 with this issues says it is the mesh as it is too hard pressed up against the paint and vibrations from driving cause the issues. Not good and Ferrari should recall all F12 and deal with it.

21. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I am sure water speed's up the process. I won't bring out the car if a chance of rain and when I wash it, I tape up those area's around grill so no waters gets in there to start the electrolysis process.

22. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
  23. MatNZ

MatNZ Karting

Jun 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    MatNZ
    Yes I agree it is the water issue as well! maybe a silicone base around the mesh so if does not contact the aluminium and acts as a buffer?

24. MatNZ

MatNZ Karting

Jun 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    MatNZ
    Well raider you could have an aluminium surrounding around the mesh - so alu to alu rather that steel to aluminium.

25. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    John - the front bumper is fiberglass and the rockers are carbon fiber(?) on the Scud so no issues.