F12 Paint Bubbling | Page 3 | FerrariChat

F12 Paint Bubbling

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by acadmd, Mar 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Thats right Doctor Mark. And even there, if you look at Toyotas or anyone's cars, you will find spots that need more attention, etc. Anyway @italiafan - while I don't know the answer to your question, I think the best practice would be to report a problem to the dealer right away. I think the grey area would most likely arise if your car was past warranty coverage and then you discovered the issue. I think then you are relying on a greater degree of understanding between your dealer and Ferrari. But it could happen. I don't think it's in anyone's interest to have these cars displaying these blemishes.

2. PJ72

PJ72 Karting

Jun 1, 2017
    I don't need to blindly defend german cars. I am speaking from experience. Maybe I got lucky but I never had a problem with 4 AMG cars and a porsche GT3. The issues you mentioned are all true however the difference is that when porsche fixes them they tend not to repeat themselves. The 2014 GT3 engine had major issues, believe me, that infuriated the owners. They fixed it, reimbursed owners up to $30k, completely replaced engines and added 2 extra years of warranty. And the GT3 brand is as strong as ever. Never heard ferrari do anything similar.

Now, I am very happy to own a Ferrari, I want to absolutely love it. But to hear certain stories is quite concerning. And jut like I have always done, I will judge its worth objectively and based on driving experience, not on its name.

And the equation, reliable equals boring is simply dumb or uninformed. You can easily have both in 2017. And at certain prices it shouldn't even be in question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boomhauer likes this.
  3. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I am left to wonder with all the grated vents on the F12 TDF if there isn't a similar issue. Some parts are CF but other parts have the same setup and produced at the same time.

4. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    My time horizon on Ferrari dates back to ownership since 1973. Reliability has gotten better as has fit and finish. Still they have a long way to go compared to some other brands. All that being said, we pay for the total experience and I have never had any German car including Porsche and MB provide the same experience. Sadly the experience for me has been more electronic and "Porsche like" in recent years. The cars (some limited editions excepted) are certainly fast but less engaging to me. Is Ferrari as a manufacturer arrogant? You bet; but to me their products are still unique. I think that cars often reflect the character and personality of their country of origin and the passion of Italy is quite different than the precision of Germany.
    It is like ice cream many different flavors to satisfy different tastes. I have always used my Ferraris as a play thing not daily transport so less concerned although annoyed by lapses in quality.

5. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I guess you could say I prefer gelato to ice cream :)

6. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    You spend $100K on a Patek...you expect superlative craftsmanship.

7. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Agree. All manufacturers have QC issues, but what is really annoying about Ferrari is their arrogance in failing to fix the same problem year after year e.g sticky interiors

8. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    According to Ferrari, it's a privilege to own and drive a Ferrari. That says it all.

9. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    How did Porsche respond to and handle the engine failures? I recall it was by giving a 10 year 120K mile warranty. Nobody is doubting that cars break and that they are machines built by humans. What i'm referring to is the lack of care given by Ferrari. Its almost as if its a privilege that they are even fixing your car under warranty.

Boomhauer likes this.
  10. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    By the rear mesh vents on your 2017 as well ? I just checked mine with a flashlight and magnifying glass. I cant see anything wrong yet....I wonder if some colors are more prone to this than others ? Bummer !

of2worlds likes this.
  11. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Galvanic corrosion has been an issue with Ferrari in the past as well. I remember the brilliant idea on my Daytona(Euro) of an aluminum door skin on a metal frame and to make matters worse they put felt in between the two layers. It would get wet and made a perfect battery. No excuse for this to be an issue on a current car.

G. Pepper and of2worlds like this.
  12. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Hi Christian, its not a color thing, its just as Doctor Mark above says- its Galvanic Corrosion- its basically two metals not playing nice together and causing a reaction. In my case its currently a tiny spot- almost as if someone were sloppy with touch up paint. Its reported and we will think of a solution whilst monitoring the situation. I don't see the point in repainting if we don't address the issue of different metals touching first.

Solid State and of2worlds like this.
  13. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I would love to know if there is anything preventative I can do ?

14. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    You can always pray.
    :)

G. Pepper, 350MH83 and of2worlds like this.
  15. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    It seems a very common issue with the F12; however I have no memories nor information of the same happening to the 550 / 575 Maranello which had the same configuration (aluminium body and air intake - for cooling the oil radiator, on the rear left wing if I remember correctly).
    Do the 550 / 575 actually have the same issue (although I was lucky to never experience it during about 6 years of ownership) or are there some reasons for them to not suffer from it?

16. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    As far as I know, the only thing I think we could do by way of prevention is to have grills made out of a non reactive material. While the 550/575 had a similar design detail, I don't think the metals used in those cars could react this way.

of2worlds likes this.
  17. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I asked this before - what about the F12 TDF which was in production simultaneously with the F12 Berlinetta? For that matter, plenty of identical setup on the 812 except lots more vents with grills. Maybe folks have the issue and aren't posting.

of2worlds likes this.
  18. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I do not have much skill on the topic, but I find it amazing that if it's a matter of metals combination (with the body being in all cases aluminium) and Ferrari had an appropriate combination on older models, they do not just revert to this combination when facing the new issue. There could be untold reasons for that but I'd be curious to ear them (even though it might not help).

of2worlds likes this.
  19. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    I can’t find anything wrong with mine either.

20. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    There must be some kind of clear coating that could neutralize the electrolytic effect being carefully applied where the mesh and body panel meet ?

21. Zaius

Zaius Formula Junior

May 8, 2014
    Im still waiting for my service center to get back to me with a repair date. Waiting months....

I have it on one side of the car, slowly progressing worse but I don't want half the car repainted only for the same thing to come up on the other side.

I don't think the other manufacturers are that much superior, Ive had MB and the entire interior creaked not to mention the sunroof whistling at high speeds...

Friends have had porsches with lots of issues too.

At the end of the day theres no need to cry over spilled coffee, its just paint and its just metal.

If people want perfect products they need to rethink the entire economic system we live under. Craftsmanship takes time and since Americans keep telling everyone that time is money, you can see that rushing things and pumping out model after model becomes the norm.

True quality requires a rooted population not one that is constantly shuffling around chasing vanishing opportunities, and quality also requires time. Mass production sucks!

Im all for less produced exotics and models with much longer shelf life. Seeing all these clowns buying cars and then flipping or selling them a few thousand KM in? Come on...

of2worlds likes this.
  22. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Maybe the large volume of new SUV will provide Ferrari with the profit that RACE needs, so Ferrari can concentrate on smaller volume real Ferrari's that make up the rest of the line-up.

of2worlds likes this.
  23. Gullwing

Gullwing Karting

Aug 30, 2016
    Has anyone in the UK had their F12 resprayed to fix the paint bubbling?

24. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Mate of mine had his done, and because it was a triple layer paint job, it had to go back to base, and took months. No sooner they put it back together, the other side started bubbling.

They don't seem to understand that paint is not the issue. It is the incorrect fitting/coating of the mesh that causes the issue when the bare metal of the mesh comes into contact with the bod panel. Now he is complaining that the panel fit is bad when they put it back on, and the dealer won't hear of it. But he posted a pic elsewhere showing a good 3-4mm of misalignment.

Ho hum..

of2worlds likes this.
  25. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I can't believe they didn't apply the coating to both sides! That is crazy.

As to Patek, yes you expect the excellent craftsmanship, and yet, my iPhone keeps better time.

G. Pepper and of2worlds like this.