F12 Buyer's Guide: Started My Search | FerrariChat

F12 Buyer's Guide: Started My Search

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Annalogue, Apr 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Annalogue

Annalogue Rookie

Apr 27, 2020
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Carlos Vasquez
    Hi fellow enthusiasts. I found a clean Rosso F12 and wondered if I should make an offer. The MSRP was 394k, has carbon ceramic brakes, and lift system. Are there any must have options I should look for? Is 394k considered a basic spec? If I'm going to buy one I want a highly spec'd one for resale purposes (just in case something else catches my eye, ie McLaren). Thank you!

2. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    There are plenty of threads on must-have specs (the search box is your friend) but if you're worried about resale, then shields and carbon wheel with LED shift lights are the only two generally accepted must haves - and even then, there will be connoisseurs on here who will tell you otherwise.

Basically, the only rule is to buy the one you like. If you liked it enough to buy it, the chances are high that someone else will when you come to sell it.

And BTW, every Ferrari since 2010 has come with carbon ceramic brakes so you won't need to check that on the spec sheet...

Annalogue likes this.
  3. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    yes buy what you like. I agree on the shields/LED comment below. I would also avoid body kits or mods, etc. Other than that the car is so extraordinary I don't think I would care what color it was

Annalogue likes this.
  4. RossoF8

RossoF8 Karting

Aug 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    $394 is very high for an F12. The two that are for sale at my dealer are between 230 and 260. The one you speak of must be spec’d to the moon. In general, the more options you have, the less return you will get down the road, but I agree with everybody above, that fender shields and a carbon wheel are considered the most must-have options.

5. rossodino

rossodino Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    corona del mar, ca.
    Full Name:
    bruce sansone
    I think the 394k he is referring to was the original msrp ,not the current ask.

6. RossoF8

RossoF8 Karting

Aug 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    ah, yes, I missed that in my 5am haze. Thanks

7. rossodino

rossodino Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    corona del mar, ca.
    Full Name:
    bruce sansone
    Your welcome!

8. Annalogue

Annalogue Rookie

Apr 27, 2020
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Carlos Vasquez
    Now that you mention the fender shields I hadn't noticed that some examples come without them. They look SO much better with them...I'm surprised they didn't come standard. Yes, the carbon wheel with lights looks great. Big thank you for pointing out those two items. They were not obvious to my untrained eye.

I'm also looking for the front suspension lift as my driveway is a bit steep.

9. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Get the one with the vents already replaced and warranted. ;)

10. 2006m5

2006m5 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    huntingdon valley PA
    Also make sure the car doesn’t have corrosion on the rear vents..look closely.

11. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #11 ryalex, Apr 21, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    +1 on this. I got my repair covered but have read here some have not.

$394k is pretty loaded, beyond $400k you start getting into random $$$ carbon panels or Atelier/Tailor Made upgrades.

Carbon brakes were standard. I personally wanted the carbon+LED steering and upgraded hi-fi, which I think is a great system.

I use the lifter rarely, only when someone blocks the driveway in a way that makes it so I have to go in too directly - steep curb, I normally take it at a 35º angle one tire at a time.

If it doesn't have Michelins already, I strongly recommend getting another $1600 or so into it, or have the dealer include them.

12. 2006m5

2006m5 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    huntingdon valley PA
    Ryalex...i looked at least at 5 cars and everyone had some kind of corrosion.
    And what is funny one dealer said which was a Ferrari dealer is we don’t fix them because
    some buyers will question why paint thickness won’t match if a paint tool is used.
    Even though i love the look i gave up trying to buy one i just can’t accept this BS CORROSION on a car
    that other company’s use aluminum and don’t have issues like this.

ryalex likes this.
  13. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    and ultimately the fix is easy, it just needs a small rubber or plastic gasket to prevent the wire mesh scraping the aluminum panel.

JPSMD likes this.
  14. 2006m5

2006m5 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    huntingdon valley PA
    correct the fix is easy.