F12 Brake flap issues - sensor? | FerrariChat

F12 Brake flap issues - sensor?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Dubai2020, Mar 6, 2020.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dubai2020

Dubai2020 Rookie

Mar 6, 2020
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Rudolf schreiier
    Dear Members,
    I am new on this forum, my client has a F12 Berlinetta, and we are facing some issues with the brake flaps, the flaps do function - therefore no mechanical issue. however there seems to be some issue as they stay open and the error message come on the dash: CCM disc brakes cooling system failure, please assist me with a possible fix.

thanks in advance.

2. Kaizaad M Parekh

Mar 7, 2020
    India
    Full Name:
    Kaizaad Marzban Parekh
    Dear Members,
    I am facing a similar issue with the F12 Berlinetta were the brake flaps in the front bumper is in the open position and the dash shows a CCM Brakes Cooling system failure message.
    We have provided the motors in the bumper with a direct 12V supply and they seem to be operational. We've even checked the fuses for the aerodynamic system in the passenger side. All relays are functional.

I'd like to know how these flaps operate. Does the ECU provide the signal to open directly? are there any heat sensors near the brakes that tell the ECU that they need to be cooled? I've not been able to locate these.

I'm currently using a Texa scanner, a launch and autel, but not the authorised Ferrari Scanner (Leonardo) and hence no errors being shown on it.

I believe that these flaps open only when the brakes are hot. So how does the car know the brakes are hot? There has got to be a sensor somewhere that I am unable to find.

3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    This is a simple yet annoying issue that does not need to be installed on any road going car. I would send the ****box off to the dealer. This nonsensical garbage they install in these "supercars" which will never reach 50%of thier capabilities is idiotic. Let the dumbass who bought the thing pay to play..

4. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The Active Aero System (brake flaps) is operate by the front suspension lifter ECU (NSV). It gets brake temperature inputs from the instrument cluster (NQS) and vehicle speed inputs from the brake ECU (NFR). The instrument cluster calculates brake temperatures using an algorithm similar to the algorithm used to calculate brake disk wear.
    The lifter ECU then opens and closes the brake flaps depending on the brake temperature and vehicle speed. Flaps are opened using a locking solenoid and a torsion spring, and they are closed using a motor and and electric clutch. The flap position is monitored by a position sensor (potentiometer) as a feedback to the lifter ECU.

The flaps open when the brakes reach 350 C and close at 100C. The minimum speed that the flaps will open is 80 KPH and they will close below 25 KPH.
    The instrument cluster informs the driver when the flaps open and close, or if the brakes are overheating or the brake cooling system is malfunctioning.

If you have a problem with the system, you will need a diagnostic computer that will communicate with the lifter ECU in order to determine the cause of the failure.
    If the system has a malfunction, it leaves the flaps open all the time for safety (maximum brake cooling).

Brian Brown
    San Francisco Motorsports

5. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    So the lifter ECU is present even if there is no front suspension lifter in the car? I guess its easier to leave it in if it is too integrated into the system.

6. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Yes, the lifter ECU is present in all F12s, even those without the lifter option, as it is needed to operate the brake flap system.

Brian Brown
    San Francisco Motorsports

7. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Thanks. I noticed that my F12 has the relay and cables for the start-stop option which the car does not have. Also, many modern cars have options installed but not software enabled unless you paid for the option.

8. Alexcle

Alexcle Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex D
    All,

I had 2 track days recently and just saw the same error. It went away while I was on track both times and never stayed static.

I have a few more track days this week and just wondering seeing if this affects the brake cooling while on track that I could get the rotors! Eek!
    What was the diagnosis and f the above issue? I just got my car back from the dealer and really don’t want to transport it all the way back with lost driving days in the summer.

any insights and follow up of the above remedy and costs are welcome.

thanks in advance.

9. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    The flaps are spring loaded open and the control unit triggers a locking pin which releases them to open. There is a motor and magnetic coil to close thenm and allow the locking pin to re engage. The units are very prone to corrosion, ensure the doors, solenoids and locking pin all are clean and lubricated. All the units we have seen issues with came down to corrosion and sticking issues.

NYC Fred and Times like this.
  10. profit1

profit1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008

Had this happen to me recently, found the flaps were opened after a battery draining issue

No “reset” bottom or option I found

drove it around town for a while at different speeds and the flaps closed themselves

so, maybe just try drinking a bit to see if self corrects

anyway, while stuck open, used the oppty to clean inside the flaps and to touch up the leading edges of the flaps that had showed some rock nicks

11. profit1

profit1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    Lol
    “Driving -“ try driving

Qavion likes this.