F12 Battery | FerrariChat

F12 Battery

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Goblin, Dec 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Goblin

Goblin Rookie

Nov 15, 2019
    I charge the battery of my F12 after driving it every time. That means it is fully charged when I take off. Typically I drive 3-4 hours. Then after coming back I connect the battery conditioner and at that point only TWO orange colored lamps turn on on the conditioner. Only two. Anyone know if that is normal? Wondering if the alternator is working properly..

Thanks for your help!

2. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    It takes a few seconds before it (tender) will know how good your battery is. It always starts with two LEDs no matter what. Wait a minute or so to check the correct level.

3. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Your alternator is probably fine, or you wouldn't be able to drive for 3-4 hours. You can look at the voltmeter on your dash while driving to confirm that it is charging properly.

How old is your battery? I would have it checked with a good battery tester to see how healthy it is. If it is ok, it just may be the way that your battery conditioner works.

Brian Brown
    San Francisco Motorsports

4. Goblin

Goblin Rookie

Nov 15, 2019
    Thank you so much for this info. Wasn't aware so really appreciated.

5. R8 BKK

R8 BKK Rookie

May 13, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Duncan
    This sounds perfectly normal. The red Ferrari supplied CTEK charger is quite low powered, mine for an F12 is just 0.7 amps. The CTEK instruction manual says at this charge rate, a 32 Ah battery could take up to 32 hours to reach 80% charge which then lights the 3rd light. The F12 battery is a 95Ah so will take even longer. As long as the 5th (Green) bulb lights up within a couple of days connected up - then all is well. A more powerful Ctek such as an MXS 5.0 or 7.0 would be worth having.

Attached Files:

vraa likes this.
  6. Goblin

Goblin Rookie

Nov 15, 2019
    Thank you for this info. The car is 36 months old and I just got it last month but the seller replaced the battery to a brandnew one right before it was delivered to me (so I was told), so it is brandnew. Thanks for your kind advice!

7. Goblin

Goblin Rookie

Nov 15, 2019
    Thank you for this info and the attachment. Very kind of you.

8. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Be careful when someone replaces your battery. Sometimes the shop does lots of starts with it and may not use the tender figuring its a new battery. This could really not be good for it so giving it a nice long charge when getting it back from the shop is always a good idea. Another benefit is to occasionally have it placed on a real battery charger to get it fully charged instead of very slowly with the tender. After a few years or so look to get it replaced to avoid low voltage starts.