F12 Battery Replacement | FerrariChat

F12 Battery Replacement

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by F12lover, Apr 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F12lover

F12lover Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2016
    Thought I would start a new thread since others dealing with this subject are old and/or incomplete.

I decided to change the battery in my F12 myself and what follows is DIY information and advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beezztie, Bobby_P and rockitman like this.
  2. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Looking forward to this.

3. F12lover

F12lover Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2016
    A few comments first:

1) Actual removal of the battery is not difficult once all the correct steps are completed.

2) Other posts or comments that discuss trying to angle or tip the battery to slip in and out are incorrect and extremely difficult if not nearly impossible to achieve. This is simply because there are more additional steps to complete prior to being able to easily physically remove the battery. No special tools are required if you proceed to full disassembly before simply lifting the battery out.

3) It is not really a difficult job to complete if you know the process and aren’t expecting to tilt the battery which also requires you to put unnecessary strain on various wiring harnesses.

4. F12lover

F12lover Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2016
    First step is to remove the access panel as if you were checking your oil. This is the panel in top corner of photo.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

This is what it looks like removed

In the above photo I have already disconnected the standard quick release negative or ground terminal sometimes referred to as the false ground and I have covered with a tapped rag so that the ground cable does not accidentally touch the positive terminals while working.

bullzeye likes this.
  5. F12lover

F12lover Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2016
    Next pull back the rubber weather stripping along edge of passenger side engine trim or cover. Then remove the trim’s fasteners using a 4 mm Allen or hex key wrench. Important: there are also two fine Phillips head screws in the outside edge of the trim cover towards the fender. If you don’t remove these you risk cracking or damaging the cover. Zero force or effort is required to remove the trim once all fasteners and screws are removed. Below shows locations of the screws. Typical and obvious fastener in bottom right.

bullzeye likes this.
  6. F12lover

F12lover Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2016
    This is where others indicate you can now try to start removing positive terminals/cables and try to pry battery out. However a few more steps and it’s easy with no risk of damaging anything.

So next remove the passenger side lower windshield trim. Again the fasteners are obvious and all 4 mm. One is hidden under a removable cap. Here is a shot of the panel

The critical thing is there is a fine Phillips head screw that also holds this panel in place. It is near the hood struct. Remove the screw and then the panel will wiggle out with no force required. If it doesn’t come you have not removed the hidden screw or all fasteners.

bullzeye likes this.
  7. F12lover

F12lover Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2016
    One more thing this trim panel has a drain hose connected to the bottom of it. Use a slot screw driver or appropriate sized wrench, I think it was 8 mm, to loosen clamp and from trim. Then remove the entire trim from vehicle to expose the air box. Here is a shot of trim again and the hose after removal.

8. F12lover

F12lover Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2016
  9. F12lover

F12lover Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2016
    Now you can see the air box plenum that must be removed to fully and easily access battery. As I recall there were several 4 mm fasteners and two 8 mm hex head bolts holding the box in place. Important: the air box also has a large drain tube at the bottom with a clamp. Pull box upwards to access clamp, loosen and remove hose. Now you have full unimpeded access to the battery!!

Above is the air box plenum to be removed

10. F12lover

F12lover Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2016
    Here is the large drain hose attached to bottom. Hose on left of photo was the one attached to windshield trim.

11. F12lover

F12lover Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2016
  12. F12lover

F12lover Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2016
  13. F12lover

F12lover Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2016
    It’s doesn’t matter the order now but remove positive cable block and associated trim screws from battery

14. F12lover

F12lover Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2016
    Remove battery retainer or clamp using what I recall was 10 mm deep socket. That’s the black metal price beside oil filler cap with negative post on it.

15. F12lover

F12lover Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2016
    Pull back heat shielding to expose main ground cable to battery and remove from battery. This is cable and post near upper left of photo below

16. F12lover

F12lover Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2016
    Now battery is simply sitting in a tray once you have pulled back all cables and wiring

Lift battery out with no restrictions by using the battery’s handle.

17. F12lover

F12lover Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2016
  18. F12lover

F12lover Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2016
    Here is new Interstate battery I purchased from dealer because I couldn’t find another fitment locally.

19. F12lover

F12lover Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2016
  20. F12lover

F12lover Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2016
  21. F12lover

F12lover Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2016
    Now just reassemble by putting air box in first then windshield trim and finally engine trim. Here is one shot of windshield trim going back in. I sprayed edge of windshield and adjoining trim with glass cleaner to provide a bit of lubrication while wiggling it into perfect alignment.

22. F12lover

F12lover Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2016
    Everything actually fits nicely into place with no force or prying/pushing. So be gentle.

Here is the money shot... all back together.

23. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Tell us about the various seals between the airbox cover and the airbox (foam), the airbox against the firewall (white), and the airbox cover against the rubber seal of the windshield. A tear from separating would require ordering the part which would likely be a nightmare like some of the parts that are never stocked or worse require repurchase of an entire assembly. The seal against the windshield on mine appeared to potentially have some kind of sealant. As I did not want a leak there, I performed the battery replacement without removal of the lid or ductwork. Wasn't fun but no worry on leaking seals. Thanks.

24. F12lover

F12lover Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2016
    A couple of other things since I am going all from memory and the few photos I took once I figured this was worth posting: reconnect false ground quick release before closing up final trim piece. I still have ground wrapped here.

Then before starting car follow the proper procedure before actually starting the car. This includes turning on ignition for at least one minute before starting car for ECUS to sink etc. I will post the process when I have time. I hope this helped and I just wrote all of the above from memory after doing earlier today. I may have missed a step but it’s all intuitive once you know you must fully remove the windshield trim and air box to fully expose the battery. Just like for most of us there were no short cuts in life prior to purchasing a F12, there are no shortcuts to removing a F12 battery that won’t end in agony, grief and possibly damage to your car. I will respond to questions as I likely missed something putting this together.

fuoco, mdrums and Wheels1 like this.
  25. F12lover

F12lover Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2016
    And just for the heck of it... one of my favourite photos of my car taken after a rain storm while on a road trip:

Vegas CS, bullzeye, 3POINT8 and 7 others like this.