F12 Battery Replacement | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F12 Battery Replacement

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Cincy2, Jan 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tupps11

Tupps11 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2009
    Anybody?? :(

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  3. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    +1 any car with stop start will usually have a higher capacity or crank amps capability due to the extra requirements of the starter motor.

I think the Varna Silver Dynamic would be fine and a vast improvement over the factory Fiamm if that's what you currently have.

4. Tupps11

Tupps11 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2009
    #29 Tupps11, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks guys. I do indeed still have the lame OEM battery. I don't have the HELE function and apparently the battery sizes differ. Any idea which of the two options would be my car?

1.) 6.3 Liter (544 kW) (Screenshot below is for this option).
    2.) 6.3 Liter (545 kW)

Left out the third cause its obviously not a TDF. The website says it fits option #1 but not option #2. Dont know which of the two options is the HELE spec and if the battery used on HELE car wont fit in mine (or vice versa).

It also says "for vehicles with start-stop function". Does that mean it will only work with the HELE optioned cars?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Logic says that the larger battery would be for cars fitted with stop start, but may not be the case. Can you not measure the one in your F12 and compare?

6. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    #31 deltona, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. Tupps11

Tupps11 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2009
    Thank You!

Just spoke to the Varta Distributor in the UK and he said that he's 99% sure that the G14 you listed is the correct battery for all the F12B models. I just ordered it...fingers crossed. Hope i don't have to send it back.

Will update you guys once i receive and install it :)

8. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Superb information. Much thanks. That WSM is gold and sorry I missed out on it. Thanks again.

9. cwazyeurodrivr

cwazyeurodrivr Karting

Mar 12, 2017
    Bedford, NH
  10. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Doubt it would fit. Check the height and length. Too big. Am I reading the price correct $1300? That's like 25 years worth of AGM batteries and then you need the charger as well.

11. cwazyeurodrivr

cwazyeurodrivr Karting

Mar 12, 2017
    Bedford, NH
    I was told by my contact it will " fit in most Ferrari's since 2013" and no you don't need a additional charger , standard automotive alternators put out 14.3V which will charge this battery. Yes it's more expensive, but also look at it as 5yr warrantee, more powerful, and around 1/2 the weight of a AGM battery.

12. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    The site's dimensions show its longer by over 1 3/4" and taller by nearly 1 1/4" and more expensive by over $1,000. The same site also sells specific lithium ion battery chargers to go with their batteries. All automotive batteries will need an external charger at some point. I personally see too much risk in this particular unit as a plug and play substitute for the OEM in this application. I have not replaced the AGM in my F12 so don't know for sure but last I checked there didn't seem to be that much extra room way up under there. I also think a lighter battery is welcome but it really is meaningless in this type of car. Just my opinion of course.

13. Tupps11

Tupps11 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2009
    Got my Varta Battery in the post yesterday. Car is going into the dealer tomorrow for the battery replacement, Novitec Muffler, Capristo X-Pipe, and a couple carbon goodies (paddle shifters, rear diffuser panels, and rear camera cover).

Ill let you know how the battery replacement goes and ask the mechanic if he can snap a couple photos while he replaces it. Hopefully he won't mind, but it is an aftermarket battery after all.

14. cwazyeurodrivr

cwazyeurodrivr Karting

Mar 12, 2017
    Bedford, NH
    #39 cwazyeurodrivr, Apr 9, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    I e-mailed my contact and they are going to check on the dementions issues and he also stated you do NOT need a separate battery charger with any vehicle from 2003+ all automotive alternators & battery tenders globally will charge lithium battery , which put out 14.3-14.9v to charge all types of batteries while powering the vehicle .

I also mentioned to him that a few folks complained about the price point. He's going to look into it and maybe give Ferrarichat.com members a discount code. I'll keep you all posted.

15. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    That would be good, looks like I might be going down the same route with the battery.

16. Tupps11

Tupps11 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2009
    Great news! The Varta battery install was a success and all electrical gremlins have disappeared.

Just for reference...here is the model number again:

Varta Cross-Reference - 595 901 085

17. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Great news! Hopefully more people will take notice. It makes such a big difference. :)

18. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Great! Thanks for putting up the model number.

19. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Thanks T
    I have mine on order.

20. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Varta and Bosch seem to be the trick for Europe, and Interstate, Braille, and Odyssey for the US. All are heavy duty AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries. Would not recommend an Optima, personally, since production moved to Mexico.

Just put an Interstate MT7-34R in mine.

Interstate: MT7-34R
    Braille: B7548
    Odyssey: 34R-PC1500

21. Tupps11

Tupps11 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2009
    No worries guys. Glad to help.

Good luck!

22. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Do all these fit the F12/FF?

23. Mflint

Mflint Rookie

May 25, 2016
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #48 Mflint, May 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2017
    No, F-12 batteries are different from FF's for reasons known only to Ferrari.

My US F-12 (i. e. 2014) came with a piece of **** FIAMM - L3, (AGM), with 70 Ah, 760 CCA, and measures 278 (L) x 175 (W) x 190 (H) and has introduced me to the huge new community of electronic Gremlins that moved in at 3 years 5 months .... even though it has spent far more time with the Ferrari supplied trickle charger than with the road or me.

For an F-12, in addition to Taz's comments, I can add that I can not find a Varta distributor in the US, but I can find a better (and more expensive) battery in either Interstate MT7-34R, (AGM) with 800 CCA, 1000 CA, and is 10 13/16 x 6 3/4 x 7 3/4. I'll let you do the conversion, and a Bosch L3-H6 AGM, with 750 CCA, 900 CA, and is 10 7/8 x 6 7/8 x 7 1/2.

So it "appears" that the Interstate is a bit more powerful. But I do NOT claim to be a battery nerd.

24. tallinnas

tallinnas Rookie

Jan 10, 2015
    having the same issue with my 2013 MY F12. Currently on a roadtrip in croatia and every 50km's getting a freaking christmas tree of error messages. Starting + restarting car, and it's all gone.

Sometimes when starting it takes a lot longer to get it running and then on top of it, the audio doesn't work or I get the error messages from the beginning.

Will look for someone in Dubrovnik tomorrow to replace my battery with the Varta one, Located some store that sells Varta batteries, but I doubt they have the model you guys mentioned above on stock. And even then, I'll have to replace it myself.

How does the procedure work of replacing it? I have read some contradictory posts. Some of you guys bring it to the dealership, some don't. Some say I'll have to empty some fluids when the car gets restarted? Slightly confusing info and I'd love to get some clarification before moving on with getting this replaced while the car is 1000's of km's away from home :)

Thanks guys!

25. Tupps11

Tupps11 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2009
    I honestly don't know the procedure. I took the battery to a dealer and he replaced it for me. There is some disassembly required in the engine bay around the battery. Its a tight squeeze.

However, i think any mechanic with instructions and some patience will be able to replace it easily. Post #12 in this thread has the instructions from the service manual for battery replacement. Good Luck.