F12 Battery Replacement | FerrariChat

F12 Battery Replacement

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Cincy2, Jan 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cincy2

Cincy2 Karting

Feb 11, 2015
    Tampa FL
    There appears to be a consensus that the factory issued battery on F12's is not up to snuff. For those of you who have replaced them with aftermarket brands, which did you use? Any fitment problems? Did the dealer complain about installing it for you if you had them do it?

My '14 F12 is due shortly for a new battery and I'd like to have options other than the Ferrari shop's choice.

Cincy

2. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
  3. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I have replaced factory FIAMM with both Varta and Bosch and electrical gremlins disappeared.

4. Tupps11

Tupps11 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2009
    Would you happen to have model numbers? Im gonna order a new battery sometime next week.

5. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I'm afraid I don't as I no longer own the cars.

Varta have three types. I just went for the highest spec which was their Silver model.
    Obviously you need to check the correct size but something like this:

Products | Autmotive | Silver Dynamic AGM | 595 901 085 | VARTA

Note that is a UK site but hope it helps. I've had these in other non Ferrari cars too for 5 years plus with noticeable degrading of performance so I think they must be pretty good, definitely compared to Fiamm.

6. Tupps11

Tupps11 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2009
    If you had to choose, (based on your past experience) would you prefer the Bosch or the Varta?

7. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I'd go Varta purely based on the fact that they are mainly a battery manufacturer only.

8. imcarnuts

imcarnuts Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2011
    Steeler Country
    Full Name:
    Duffy
  9. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Seems this site needs a post of the battery dimensions, Group size, CCA, Amp-Hour and terminal locations for stock F12, FF, 458, 599, etc. I'm sure members have already done the Interstate swap and it would be helpful to the rest.

10. Tupps11

Tupps11 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2009
    +1

11. Tupps11

Tupps11 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2009
    Can someone also please share the instructions for correct battery replacement procedure from the service manual?

I wanna try and DIY it if its not too complicated.

12. rjn21

rjn21 Karting

Dec 3, 2013
    UK
    #12 rjn21, Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. Tupps11

Tupps11 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2009
    Thank You! Does anyone know what this means...

"Each time the battery is disconnected from the electrical system of the vehicle, all the self-acquisition parameters are cancelled from the injection ECU.
    These parameters must be reacquired before reusing the vehicle."

How do we reacquire those parameters? I usually just reattach the battery and give the car 60 seconds to do its thing. Then i turn the ignition key to power the car and allow electrical systems to do their thing. 30 seconds later i press the start button and let the car come to life.

14. rjn21

rjn21 Karting

Dec 3, 2013
    UK
    If you look at the latter part of the guide it explains the process.

15. Tupps11

Tupps11 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2009
    Just saw it. My bad :p

16. Replevin

Replevin Karting

Oct 29, 2014
    Washington, DC
    Am I reading that correctly that I need to remove the power steering fluid tank? Did anyone else do that and how is it done if the answer is "yes." Thanks in advance.

17. Tupps11

Tupps11 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2009
    Luckily, i didn't have to remove mine. I dont always have an electrical outlet next to where i park so i unplug the battery and hope for the best. So far, it has had enough power to just barely start the car when i reconnect it. I then drive to the nearest power source and use the CTEK to recondition the battery.

The OEM battery is a joke. Its time to order a new one. I did a bit of research and found that the to top contenders for F12 battery replacement are the Bosch and Varta batteries. Can anyone recommend one or the other and give a short answer why?

I really wanna order soon and get this dealt with. Hate the process of disconnecting and reconnecting then charging. Especially on a $350,000+ car...ridiculous.

18. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    According to the WSM, the OEM FIAMM is an L3 70 AH, 760 CCA unit. Dimensions are 278 mm L, 175 mm W, 190 mm H, or 10.94" L, 6.89" W, 7.48" H. Here is an AGM battery, MT7-34R, that should work by Interstate and has a 48 month free replacement warranty. Get a recommendation from the dealer.

34R Group Size
    MT7-34R Part Number
    800 CCA
    1000 CA
    115 minutes RC
    10 13/16 L
    6 3/4 W
    7 3/4 H

MT7 Car and Truck Batteries | Interstate Batteries -

19. Tupps11

Tupps11 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2009
    Thank you Taz! Have you tried interstate batteries on any of your cars in the past? If so, curious about your opinion.

Thanks again :)

20. Cincy2

Cincy2 Karting

Feb 11, 2015
    Tampa FL
    You didn't ask me but I replaced the stock battery on a Lamborghini Gallardo with an Interstate ASM and lots of issues I was having with check engine lights at start up magically disappeared. They make a solid, well engineering product.

Cincy

21. Tupps11

Tupps11 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2009
    Thanks for the info :)

Will research more tonight. Need to find out who sells them in EU

22. MrFloppi

MrFloppi Karting

Mar 15, 2014

Got a Varta Silverline recently and the car starts stronger than ever. My last FIAMM battery lasts approx 12 month till they was deeply drained and I had the car on the conditioner all the time. If you wish I can check the exact spec of the Varta.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

23. Tupps11

Tupps11 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2009
    Would love that! Thank you :)

24. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Varta and Bosch car batteries are not widely available in the US, but Interstates are. Yes, mine has only had Interstate batteries in her for the 8 1/2 years I have owned her. Most of the models for Ferraris are heavy duty or truck batteries.

25. Tupps11

Tupps11 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2009
    Was about to pull the trigger on a Varta battery today and hesitated cause of a compatibility issue that popped up. It asks you to input the car details to make sure that its the correct battery, and i noticed i had 3 options to choose from...

I chose "Ferrari F12 Berlinetta" then in the "engine type" field, it gave me the following 3 options:

1.) 6.3 Liter (544 kW)
    2.) 6.3 Liter (545 kW)
    3.) 6.3 Liter TDF (574 kW)

Only choice #1 above is compatible and the other two says "this item does not fit your Ferrari F12 Berlinetta"

I had no idea that they use different specs and that there were 2 different models of the F12 before the TDF was released. The manufacture date for my car was September 2014 so it arrived in October as a MY 2015.

This is the model number of the Varta Silver Dynamic AGM battery i was gonna order: 595901085D852

Can anyone help? I need to order it tonight to get it in time before my appointment at the dealer.

Thanks in advance