F12 Alternator Belt Failures | FerrariChat

F12 Alternator Belt Failures

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by F12lover, Jun 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F12lover

F12lover Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2016
    Hoping some one can help with some advice and/or knowledge. For the second time my 2016 F12 has thrown the alternator belt or had it completely fail. The first time happened when it had under 5,000 miles. Ferrari replaced under warranty and thought it may have been a faulty belt. All pulley alignment and tensions were verified as fine. A second dealer inspected the work and also found no issues. Now with just under 20,000 miles and about 16 months later (yes, I drive my car... lots and not during the winter) the belt failed again. Luckily it happened very near home the day after completing a 1,200 mile drive on remote roads! In any event, has any one else had this issue with their F12 and/or have any suggestions on a proper repair? This should not be happening and is a major concern when I am traveling. It is also not something that is easily accessible to carry out a self repair while on the road. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    This was very common on F12's. Ferrari released and update kit to fix the issue. There is a factory technical bulletin that covers the problem and the repair. What is the assembly number of your car? If it is 121256 or below, then it has the older belt guide shoe, which has been replaced by an additional guide pulley.
    You can look at the parts breakdown on Ricambi to the see difference between the old and new style belt drive for the alternator:
    https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v12/gt-group-2-seat/f12/ac-system-water-and-freon.html

3. F12lover

F12lover Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2016
    Great information. Thank you. My chassis number is 214119 so that appears to be later in production. Also how disappointing that two dealers would not pick up on the issue if indeed my car has the old system.

4. F12lover

F12lover Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2016
    Also, what would you think could be the problem if I have the revised set up and this is still occurring? I will double check but I think that I do.

5. F12lover

F12lover Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2016
    Yes, I checked my car and I have the revised pulley and tensioning system. So why would this happen (again)?

6. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Not a Ferrari, but my wife had her belt go twice on her Volvo in 2 years, shortly after the second time, the alternator went wrong, mabybe that was causing the belts to break?
    Just an thought.

7. Philfromphilly

Jan 26, 2020
    Full Name:
    Phil Wilson
    Adding additional detail; my 2015 F12 #209494 just had the same issue. After inspection I determined that the alternator belt failed as did the mule pulley. Not sure which caused the initial failure. After further research and discussion with the Ferrari tech there were actually two updates to this issue, first was the replacement of the shoe with an additional pulley as already described here. The second is an update to later vehicles which replaces the existing alternator with a clutch pulley and a wider 6 groove belt. Apparently the primary issue has always been the alternators inability to “keep up” in high rev/acceleration situations. Earlier vehicles can be updated but this must be done at the dealer. Ferrari will not sell the parts separately. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

8. Altan Kurdash

Altan Kurdash Rookie

Sep 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Altan Kurdash
    Hi

My F12 has the second kit on it but the belt broke after 3000 miles, replaced at Ferrari, and broke again 1000 miles later!
    There is a further kit that replaces the alternator and various other items that should be covered under warranty - cost is about £4000

9. Fouadr

Fouadr Rookie

Sep 23, 2021
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Fouad
    Hi Altan,

what is this further kit and how did u learn about it

best
    Fouad

10. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Mine had the early version of the pulleys, chewed through two belts in one year and dealer got Ferrari to authorize the upgrade under the warranty.

11. Fouadr

Fouadr Rookie

Sep 23, 2021
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Fouad
    Thanks did this include the new alternator as well?

12. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Admittedly I’m not sure. I know they told me new pulleys and belt type.

13. SkipperAndre

SkipperAndre Rookie

Mar 15, 2017
    Hello,

This just happened to my 2015 F 12. USD 5k for the upgrade from Ferrari.
    After 7 years with Lambos and Porches I have a very bad start with Ferrari....Feel like I need the tow truck number on speed dial

Brdgs Andre

ryalex likes this.
  14. Fouadr

Fouadr Rookie

Sep 23, 2021
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Fouad
    I had the approved warranty and forced ferrari to do it under warranty. Can’t believe we need to pay for an upgrade because the original one can’t handle the power! It happened twice to me before they agreed to replace it and a lot of angry emails. What else happened to you f12 for me besides that it was fine

ryalex likes this.
  15. Sloop

Sloop Rookie

Jul 18, 2020
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Paul Breitner
    Question: Now is the update with the new alternator and the new belt still running or did you have this problem again?
    Thanks for your repley.

My F12 got last year an new Belt with some update bute definetly not a new alternator with a wider 6 groove belt. This current belt last only for 1.734 km / 1007 miles. Lets see what comes next.

Is there anybode who had this problem as well and can report what the final ferraris solution for this problem is? So that I can drive more than 1.000 miles. The only thing what I wonder is, that this car currently 18.600 miles and nothing happed before so why does this happening right now and twice in a short perod of time?

Many thank to you all for a good reply.

Cheers, Sloop

16. Fouadr

Fouadr Rookie

Sep 23, 2021
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Fouad

17. Fouadr

Fouadr Rookie

Sep 23, 2021
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Fouad
    It was fine after the update… but they not only changed the pully the installed a whole new system. Because by changing only the pully the problem happened again. I don’t have specific details but hr Owen london did it for me

18. SkipperAndre

SkipperAndre Rookie

Mar 15, 2017
    This happened to me again, so I went ahead and ordered the kit and will have it replaced by Ferrari. They advised 3-4 weeks to get the parts, so also purchased a new belt which I will install myself in the meantime. It seems pretty straight forward to install (have a lift in my garage).

It has happened to me twice, both times under "spirited" driving, but nothing too crazy.....Luckily I was only 5 minutes away from home, so hope my battery is still ok.

Cost is USD 5450,- all in for the new kit and labor to install. Lets hope it fix the problem, but will probably put a spare belt in my trunk going forward :)

Il post some pictures when the new system is installed, I currently have the one From engine No 242123

Brgds Andre

19. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I know if I were you and did the belt change myself I'd study the heck out of the issue and wind up installing the kit myself also. It looks pretty straight forward and might be fun. What did the kit alone cost you?

20. SkipperAndre

SkipperAndre Rookie

Mar 15, 2017
    Yeah was super easy to change, 15 minutes max....For the future will definitively do the belts myself from now on. All you need to do is to push the tension pulley when you put the belt in place, very easy even for a rookie like myself!

Parts for the kit was 3500. So some labor for installing the kit...., but not so bad? New wheel on the drive shaft, new pulleys, and I am a coward when it comes to electrical parts, ie alternator obviously needs to be disconnected and replaced. Not sure on adjustments on the new belt also, in the workshop manual current belt should be at 185 Hz, have no such information on this new kit.

I also justify it in case something happens with the new kit installed, sometimes you will at least get some goodwill for replacements/warranties if same stuff break down again.

Regardless, will order a spare belt also, just in case.... I think those belts needs to be ordered from Italy with some delivery time

Brgds Andre

Solid State likes this.