F1 Transmission - Sport setting (612) | FerrariChat

F1 Transmission - Sport setting (612)

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by r0sco, Mar 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. r0sco

r0sco Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2011
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Is there any document available which explains what happens when switching from normal to sport mode - electronically, hydraulically and mechanically? The outcome is that the shifts are faster, of course, but what happens when the F1-S or Sport buttons are pressed?
    Thanks

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Don't think there's anything beyond the description in the owners manual - might find more in 612 section

3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Since the F1 system is relatively basic, my guess is that the main thing happening when in "superfast" mode is reducing the time the clutch is "declutched", so that there is some overlap of the declutching/gearchange/clutching - which Ferrari described as using the "elasticity" of the system to allow a faster gear shift (the mechanical gearchange beginning while the clutch is still spinning and not yet completely declutched)
    The hydraulic, electronics and mechanical actions cannot really be speeded up, so that's the only trick available (of course this is controlled by the electronics, that instruct the hydraulics to begin sooner).

4. r0sco

r0sco Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2011
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Thanks LVP and Jimmie. One issue I have is slow downshifts from 3rd to 2nd in Normal mode, but it’s fine in Sport mode. So it sounds like it’s an electronic problem.

5. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Manually blip the throttle while downshifting and it makes a huge difference in speed and smoothness of downshifts.

6. r0sco

r0sco Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2011
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Ross
    It seems to me that it blips automatically.

7. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    It doesn’t. That’s the beauty of the 1st gen F1. You can do it yourself.

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ross, Skipp- The F1A software only does rev matching in Sport, but not in normal, just like the 575M. It does blip the throttle (rev match) in Sport, so trying to heel and toe with one pedal missing is wasted in Sport, but useful in normal. One reason why slightly feathering the throttle on upshifts in normal smooths them out considerably. I use normal until my oil temperature reaches ~160 F, just to make it a bit easier on the synchro rings and dog clutches as things warm up.

9. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Taz,
    Thanks for your input, but that’s not my experience. I keep mine in sport most of the time and have never noticed any automatic rev matching on downshifting. I always do it myself. If it’s doing it, it’s not very perceptible.

skipp

10. r0sco

r0sco Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2011
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Thanks both. I haven’t driven mine for a while and am a bit reluctant to do so in the current economic environment, when so many are doing it tough. I usually drive in Sport once it warms up, and I’m sure it blips on the downshifts.

11. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I’ve felt the same way. Not a good time to be at all showy. Might get a brick through your windshield.

12. Larsoni

Larsoni Rookie

Feb 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    Curtis A. Larson
    Makes one remember a half century of Alfa blipping...Giulietta, Giulia, Duetto, GTV.etc. 1.3, 1.6, 1750, 2000 motors with good synchros in both 4 and 5 spd. gearboxes. Love the F-1, but old habits die hard.

13. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Spider and GTV6 here.

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Skipp- When all else fails, look in the OM.

15. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    So, I drove my 355 yesterday and discovered that we’ve been talking about two different scenarios.

I’ve been talking about manually blipping while downshifting on DECELERATION where the computer doesn’t do it for you. On hard acceleration, downshifting, the computer does three quick blips that sounds really awesome.

16. Larsoni

Larsoni Rookie

Feb 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    Curtis A. Larson
    Off topic, but anyone know of an alternative to the expensive Ferrari mirror control knob/switch?

17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Skipp- She does rev match for you on deceleration (blipping) and on acceleration (throttle lift) in Sport, regardless of how deep you are into the throttle.

Skippr1999 likes this.