F1 Potentiometers | Page 3 | FerrariChat

F1 Potentiometers

Discussion in '360/430' started by ideloera, May 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

I doubt anyone can provide the instruction in language. It is very very hard to describe. You might search youtube for a video , bug me later if you can't find one. I can probably shoot a instruction video for you.

2. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    No dice so far all I have been able to find is a 360 but that doesn’t have these same sensors. Thanks for everyone that has responded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    Does the car need to be reset at all after the change. I have redone this a good amount now and still not able to shift into any gear. I never get any pressure on the selection sensor. It doesn’t seem long enough to lay on the shaft.

4. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

not sure what you mean, caraholic, im not a native speaker. do you mean your sensor doesn't work?

5. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    It doesn’t seem that the little arm sits on the horizontal portion of the shaft. I get the big arm to press against the front face of the shaft (vertical portion) and get pressure from that. But the small armed potentiometer doesn’t provide any resistance.

6. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    After feeling like I was a complete moron I installed the old sensors and everything works. So it seems I got a bad pair of new potentiometers

24000rpm likes this.
  7. Ferrari Chicago

May 19, 2020
    Chicago, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Steven
    I have a 2003 360 and am getting a code that my sensors are bad. Did anyone ever figure out if these alternate sensors work? CarAholic, were you able to make them work? Did you remove the F1 actuator to replace them? It appears that you can do it without removing the actuator on a 360.

8. Ferrari Chicago

May 19, 2020
    Chicago, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Sorry, I meant to ask anyone if they were successful in replacing the sensors on a 360 with an aftermarket Peugeot sensor.

9. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    Not sure on the 360 as they have different sensors but I believe you will still have to remove the actuator. I ended up getting another sensor and the car is back and running again. Good luck on your replacement the accumulator is very easy to remove you just have to remove a decent amount of stuff that’s in the way to get to it.

10. ditpixs

ditpixs Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2019
    Nor Cal - Tracy
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    @CarAholic It looks like I might be needing to replace the sensors on my F430 soon. It threw an error and wouldn't let me shift. Did you happen to take a few pics or video of your install? I know I can get them out, as I have had my actuator off before, but am a bit worried about the assembly of the sensors and how they align with the shaft.

11. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    It’s a bit difficult to describe how to place the sensors. There was a brief description that I found on this bored with the last picture I posted. Believe you insert them 90degree counter clockwise and then rotate clockwise till your bolt holes line up. Also make sure your car is in neutral before you start any of the work.

billy.gif, Qavion and ditpixs like this.
  12. ditpixs

ditpixs Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2019
    Nor Cal - Tracy
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Thanks! This is helpful. I'll try and shoot some pics/video as I do it.

SwedenPeter likes this.
  13. chenglo1

chenglo1 Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Cheng
    Hope you guys are still around... im trying to pull my F430 actuator off to send for a rebuild as im getting slow and minor oil leak from the potentiometer side (i think-cant see while attached). How did you guys get the potentiometer male connector off of that plastic mount above the actuator?

14. ditpixs

ditpixs Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2019
    Nor Cal - Tracy
    Full Name:
    Aaron

Attached Files:

Qavion likes this.
  15. PitDoggie

PitDoggie Karting

Jun 21, 2014
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Full Name:
    Paul Williams
    Replacing my Potentiometers. Showed as fault code as they were missing. Upon opening the pot's up I found the area filled with bearing grease.
    Is that right?

16. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Grease is normally present ..some cars more than others

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

ditpixs likes this.
  17. PitDoggie

PitDoggie Karting

Jun 21, 2014
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Full Name:
    Paul Williams
    And also about 2 ounces or so of Transmission fluid.

18. PitDoggie

PitDoggie Karting

Jun 21, 2014
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Full Name:
    Paul Williams
    Also had what seemed to be a small amount of Transmission fluid. Is that coming through the shaft?

19. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    That means the seals are going .. how many miles on it ?

May need (due to the fluid ) need a rebuild ..

20. PitDoggie

PitDoggie Karting

Jun 21, 2014
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Full Name:
    Paul Williams
    46k miles

21. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Could be in need then.. hard to say how much comes out unless you out back and then take off in 3 k or so

22. PitDoggie

PitDoggie Karting

Jun 21, 2014
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Full Name:
    Paul Williams
    Thats what my friend and I were thinking. Just get it back to gather and drive it for a while. Then check again.

flash32 likes this.
  23. PitDoggie

PitDoggie Karting

Jun 21, 2014
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Full Name:
    Paul Williams
    So it did need a rebuild. It is at GTE Engineering. Can't say enough of what a great help they have been. Going to post up after receiving the repaired unit and getting her all running.

ditpixs likes this.
  24. ditpixs

ditpixs Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2019
    Nor Cal - Tracy
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Good to hear! Make sure to confirm with GTE the process to re-install. My understanding is they re-calibrate with the appropriate tool so you can just re-install and run a re-learn with a Launch or similar device.

flash32 likes this.
  25. PitDoggie

PitDoggie Karting

Jun 21, 2014
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Full Name:
    Paul Williams
    When I bought the car I also bought a Galileo device (A single car model Leonardo). It was $5k, but worth it. The nice thing is I can upgrade and add car models for a nominal fee. So it has all the procedures of course that the SD has. Additionally I got all new braided hoses from GTE. These are all color coded too. I am really looking forward to getting my baby back on the road when I get back to town.