F1 PIRELLI GRAN PREMIO DEL MADE IN ITALY E DELL'EMILIA ROMAGNA 2021: QUALIFYING *** SPOILERS *** | Page 6 | FerrariChat

F1 PIRELLI GRAN PREMIO DEL MADE IN ITALY E DELL'EMILIA ROMAGNA 2021: QUALIFYING *** SPOILERS ***

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Apr 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

KTU does like to rub it in ppl’a face indeed
    It’s the Internet don’t let it get to u;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RobertJRB likes this.
  2. Top speed

Top speed Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Joonas
    The data starts to be pretty clear, that Merc engine is the saving grace for Mercedes powered teams. Leclerc was faster than even the Mercs in sector 2, the slowest corners in the track. In a race like Monaco, Ferrari will be very very strong.

It would be interesting to know what kind of set up McLaren was using, Norris was always fastest in sector 1; most power dependant part. To be faster than their motor supply factory team is very interesting, I wonder if the set up will be as good in the long runs tomorrow.

In conclusion Red Bull should have the upper hand on WCC, being much superior in corners is a big advantage in modern F1

stavura, ingegnere, ktu and 2 others like this.
  3. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I’m convinced that particular circuits will tend to favor either the MB or RB. Here the MB is the better car as they dominated practice and qualifying; Bottas going slower than his Q1 time is weird but I’ve never rated him highly.

4. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Charles and Charlotte leaving the Imola track.......with fans.

kes7u, stavura, RobertJRB and 6 others like this.
  5. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Max can draft but the run to Turn 1 is key but short. Keep to the inside and follow LH. If he gets a better start than Sergio...............

Nortonious likes this.
  6. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Perez, starting on the (S), will be the wildcard at the start, I think, if the start is dry. Should be interesting.

Nortonious and DF1 like this.
  7. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Did anyone stick to track limits coverage showed nearly every car fully out of the white lines?

Nembo1777 and Nortonious like this.
  8. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    As for the much-expected RB vs Merc duel, it will be nice to see RB have two cars in immediate proximity for ham to think about, as opposed to the usual Max vs 2 Mercs.

I'm not sure bottles gets through Lando or Ricci easily in time to help ham much, if at all.

Lando seems to have the pace, but finished behind Ricci for those damn track limits. Hmmm, possible McLaren team orders to let Lando pass early?

Chuck being chuck. What happened to Carlos?....I think I saw a bad sector 2 in Q2 ?

stavura, Jeronimo GTO and ingegnere like this.
  9. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    I believe exceeding track limits was only penalized on certain corners. Norris lost his best Q3 time because of this, for example.

ricksb and Nortonious like this.
  10. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Yes, perhaps he can best pressure ham if not overtake outright. Might open up an undercut option for Max.

Regardless, it will make for an interesting start/race for sure.

stavura, Bas and ingegnere like this.
  11. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nice review of qualy here - https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/31275927/how-hamilton-mercedes-turned-tables-red-bull

In terms of Bottas status and his issues in Q3 from the link:

What happened to Bottas?
    As mentioned above, Valtteri Bottas' absence from the top four places on the grid will put Mercedes at a disadvantage on Sunday.

His pace during practice had looked on par with or even ahead of Hamilton, yet when it mattered in the final stages of qualifying he failed to hook a lap together.

"Valtteri was pretty good all weekend in Turns 2 and 3, but both drivers had [tyre] warm-up issues at the beginning of the lap in Q3," team boss Toto Wolff explained.

"In Q1, once we were able to give Valtteri a second lap to bring in the tyres, he was really very good -- I think the Q1 lap would have got him on P4,

"So it was a warm-up issue. We know exactly what it is, and Valtteri knows, but he is in an OK position for the race tomorrow."

12. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Good drivers, but neither are team players. This may end up like Hamilton Rosberg.

Nembo1777 and Thomas S. like this.
  13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Here is what I noticed

When Alonso does anything that's average, the media goes crazy
    When Alonso under performs, no one ever heard of Alonso.

Bas likes this.
  14. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    True. I was highly surprised by Alonso's (lack off) pace.

Thomas S. likes this.
  15. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    The FIA need to get this sorted, 4 wheels over the whiteline is exceeding track limits, we have these daft rules that vary corner to corner.

kes7u, Nembo1777 and william like this.
  16. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Perhaps the Rossi’s syndrome ?;)

Bas likes this.
  17. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

It's the FIA that created that mess by imposing large kerbs and tarmaced run-off areas to homologate circuits to F1 standards.

Good for safety perhaps, but an open door to abuse of track limits.

18. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Isobel likes this.
  19. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Well there goes Hamilton !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bas likes this.
  20. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Yes, nuts it is..... would be like an NFL football game where the white line is only out of bounds between the 20s and the goal lines, not elsewhere. Crazy. (Come to think of it, probably wouldn't even put that past them at this point..)

Have to put sand or something else detrimental to pace outside the racing surface. Or with the electronics currently available, perhaps a run off area that must be taken after a certain number of offs, resulting in slower lap??

Kevin

Sent from my SM-G930P using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Bas and william like this.