F1 or Gated 360 | FerrariChat

F1 or Gated 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by Countrygent, Nov 7, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Countrygent

Countrygent Rookie

Aug 25, 2007
    Hilton Head Island , SC
    Full Name:
    Finklea
    I'm sure this has been covered in the past, but as the miles add up on the '99-'00 F1 trannys(with updates) are the F1 issues posted isolated events or simply the result of a high-tech device that, by nature, is subject to a higher failure rate? I am looking for a 360 (99,00,01) and would appreciate some feedback and/or direction. Thanks

2. ironside7

ironside7 Rookie

Aug 27, 2007
    I would go for the manual over the F1. As these cars get older, parts may become more rare/expensive. I've heard that a new F1 pump for a 355 is in the range of $14K.

3. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    LOL...I've read a lot of arguing statements regarding F1 vs. manual however, this one tops the charts! I think Countrygent is safe at least for the next 50 years! And the 360 F1 pump is approx. 2K.

4. ironside7

ironside7 Rookie

Aug 27, 2007
    Not sure why you would think one is safe for 50 years-- it is well documented that a pump for an 8 year old 355 can cost up to 16K. See the link below. Not sure why the 355 pump is so much more expensive, but it's not outside the realm of possibilities that the same magnitude of prices could apply to a 360 pump in the near future.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85500&highlight=F1+pump

5. Countrygent

Countrygent Rookie

Aug 25, 2007
    Hilton Head Island , SC
    Full Name:
    Finklea
    Has the f1 tranny been greatly improved for the 430 over the 360 or is it splitting hairs? I will be testing an F1 360 soon but hope to make a decision soon for a purchase. I've always been a manual guy...

6. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Respectfully, if your decision to buy a Ferrari is based on the cost of parts, it may be a bit early to purcahse one. Best

7. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    buy the one you enjoy driving the most. I love the 6 speed. Even if parts for the F1 were free, I'd still buy a stick shift. The F1 is very cool, but I personally enjoy having a 6 speed, gated manual in my Ferrari, so that's what I buy.

From what I have seen on here, it does seem there are more strange, random issues/problems on F1 cars than manual gearboxes.

Ray

8. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    Not to be rude however, you need to do your homework prior to making statements. Don't believe everything you read, even on F-Chat. The price of the 355 F1 pump, (by itself or less actuators) is currently 1700-2500 depending on the source. Unfortunately in the past when ordering a pump through a dealer/factory they were not available separately or w/o actuators which is why you typically saw prices in the area of 16K+. However, since the actuators rarely fail, dealers and parts distributors have been able to special order pumps separately from Europe. The 360 F1 pump was always available as a separate unit.

9. Countrygent

Countrygent Rookie

Aug 25, 2007
    Hilton Head Island , SC
    Full Name:
    Finklea
    Sorry, I must not have been clear in my question. Many F1 comments and accolades are based on the F 430 F1. I know the F355 has had F1 issues but does the 360 F1 appear to be close to the 430 ? This has nothing to do with cost...(of a 360) simply helping the F1 vs Manual 360 decision

10. ironside7

ironside7 Rookie

Aug 27, 2007
    I guess I have to apologize for relying on what I've read on F-Chat . . .

11. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I've had F1 in both 360 and 430, and i noticed a drastic improvement between the 2. But at the time, the 360 F1 felt great. Now i always have one car with F1 and one with 6 speed. Nothing can beat the sound of clicking through the gears in a 6 speed!

12. Stew

Stew Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2006
    Los Angeles
    The most important aspect is your enjoyment !

Regards,

Stew

13. JStone414

JStone414 Formula 3

Sep 23, 2004
    Gotham
    Full Name:
    Roman Sionis
    just bought a 360 gated 6 speed two weeks ago> thank god I didn't get paddles

14. RPM217

RPM217 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2007
    Rye Brook, NY
    Full Name:
    Roger
    Yeah, you're one shifty Mofo!!! Didn't spill the beans to all your friends, the whole time a big grin on your face, knowing!!!! I'm with you on the 3rd pedal issue!!

15. zero

zero Guest

Apr 24, 2007
    Manuals are great for MMI driving feelings. And i think they are great because i own them. The only problem is that they are far to slow to change gear when you want to snatch that over taking point with a limited amount of time. To get an idea of what i mean, go out for a fast country road run with a mate who has an F1 set up, and you in your manual. Its a case of he sees he snatches hes gone past the car in front. And his hand never leaves the wheel in the quarter second that it takes to change down.
    In the mean time that gap has now gone and you have to wait until a new one appears. Then it does and you fumble about getting the right manual shift........but Oops to late the over taking opportunity is gone.......to slow brother:D

16. JStone414

JStone414 Formula 3

Sep 23, 2004
    Gotham
    Full Name:
    Roman Sionis
    and that's exactly why I love a gated-6 speed. Look, not knocking paddles, have had fun driving ferraris with them, but if I have a choice I'm taking a Gate everyday

17. Camdon53

Camdon53 Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    This same discussion pops up every few days so you can find a lot of useful insight with the search button. I’m a long time manual guy who recently bought a terrific ’02 360 F1 coupe. I’ve now been driving the car regularly for nearly a year (almost 6K miles to date) with absolutely no problems and no regrets. I find the F1 to be incredibly slick, smooth and effortless under all conditions. It’s especially helpful in heavy traffic and absolutely thrilling when there’s no traffic ;-)

Since over 80% of all 360s and 430s have been ordered with F1, the availability of parts for the F1 system is not an issue. Most people who’ve driven both say the 430 F1 is even slicker than the 360. I don’t doubt what they say but I can’t imagine how anything could be smoother or better in any way than my ’02. Incidentally, there was a major F1 software upgrade for ’02 which probably accounts for some the truly amazing performance of my F1.

Basically it all comes down to personal preference. The guys who prefer a manual 6-speed think that’s the way to go. The guys who prefer the F1 will say that’s better. Go figure. If you’re not sure, you should definitely test drive both and go with whichever one lights your fire.

18. lizard1

lizard1 Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2004
    West TX
    Full Name:
    Frank
    i just purchased an F1 2003 360 and couldn't be happier. i have always been a manual guy and was pretty nervous about buying the F1 but this way my wife could drive it. i do miss the feel of reaching down with my right hand and rowing through the gears but the paddles are pretty damned cool and this delay that some talk about is a hell of a lot less than if you were driving a manual. there is a delay compared to a true automatic but c'mon, let's get real - it's a "manual" tranny still. and there have been several times in traffic i am thankful for having the F1 rather than the stick

definitely drive an F1 prior to purchase but i think you'll be pleasantly surprised. i drove an '03 M3 with the SMG paddles and that was HORRIBLE. I was fearful that the F360 would be similar but completely different. Since I have an '03, I recognize I have benefitted from several updatesfrom earlier 360 yrs. If I were buying a 99-01 car, I would definitely only consider one with the updates but still want to drive it first to see how exactly it drives

best of luck

19. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The people I know who talk about their F1 experiences are like the people I know who talk about their Mac experiences. They never want to talk about the system crashes or the smoking clutch when backing up an incline. Make sure you drive both versions thoroughly before making your decision.

20. lizard1

lizard1 Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2004
    West TX
    Full Name:
    Frank
    well, in West TX we don't have any inclines ;) and i will never be caught dead with a MAC

21. lizard1

lizard1 Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2004
    West TX
    Full Name:
    Frank

now i have heard that the worst thing you can do is reverse up an incline slowly with the F1

22. Shumdit

Shumdit Formula Junior

May 9, 2006
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Matthew B.
    As I understand it (and surely someone will correct me if I am in error), speed is not a factor when using the F1 in reverse on a hill. I do not think the clutch ever fully engages in reverse on the F1, which is why it's so bad for them, in terms of wear.

23. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I couldn't have said it better!
    Ignore what everyone says, "buy the one you enjoy driving the most" and forget our opinions....they're just our opinions!

24. ExoticMD

ExoticMD Rookie

Sep 21, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Go with the gated. The past two Ferrari's (2 99' 355's) we have owned have had the F1 transmissions felt little lag in between shifts. Pretty sure they fixed this on the 360/430. Personally, I like working through gears....meaning pushing in clutch and shifting. Quick plug: We have a 99' yellow/black six speed manual 360M FS! 29k miles with 30k service done. U.S. car $99k!

25. steve miller

steve miller Karting

Dec 30, 2005
    Parkland, Fl
    Full Name:
    Steve Miller

click, click, click, click, click, click.....sounds from the Gods!!