430 - F1 gearbox issue | FerrariChat

430 F1 gearbox issue

Discussion in '360/430' started by SwissF430, Jun 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SwissF430

SwissF430 Rookie

Jun 16, 2021
    Full Name:
    Alex Sennhauser
    Hi folks,

I'm a relatively new F430 owner based in Switzerland. Got the red beauty back in August 2020 with just 33k kilometers on it.

I've been having a blast driving it, and so far - for more than 4t km - with no issues.

However, my car broke down last weekend totally out of the blue.

Been driving though the alps and had the car stopped (after some really easy driving on the motorway) on a parking for more than 30mins.

When I tried to start it, it would not start as the gearbox stayed in gear 1. I then pulled the paddles and it shifted to neutral and started normally.
    But then I was unable to engage reverse, and after a few seconds the F1 error light came on (very slow on and off sequence) and the eDiff / Slow Down message appeared. I tried to restart the car, and I could hear the F1 pump going for a couple of seconds (less than 10 for sure). Still the error remained. After a number of tries, it finally worked and the error went away.

I drove around the parking and shifted multiple times from reverse to 1, 2, 3 and back with no issues, smooth and normal.

Then I continued calmly on the motorway, but after a while the Slow Down message appeared again and the car was stuck in 6th gear. I barely made it to a Ferrari dealer, but the car stalled when slowing down in their driveway.

After that, the pump would not run at all anymore and the gear was stuck. Their mechanics tried to bypass the relay, but the pump would not run either.

The car is now with the dealer and I'm waiting for the diagnosis.

I just wonder if it's possible that the pump broke in that short time frame without showing any issues before? I am aware of some problems when the pump runs for a long time or very often, but I did not notice that behaviour before. I did not pay attention how many times it ran, but I can say for sure it would run way below 10s when I open the door or turn on the ignition.
    I never had any issues with gear shifts either, nor did the car fail to change gear before.

Any thoughts from people knowing the F1 well?

The clutch has been replaced back in 2016 but the car was rearly driven since then, only about 2000km (plus my 4000 since August). The F1 was filled with the Liqui Molly hydraulic oil on the clutch change.

I've been in bad situations like stop and go and traffic jams but even then I never faced any issue or error. It really came out of the blue.

After the error light came on (and off, slowly) and the Slow Down / eDiff error there was also the manetino error and the car would go from Sport to wet mode. Not sure if that means anything?
    Check engine light did not come on.

Hope to get some insight - I already read about the scuding Smart eMT module which I probably ask the dealer to install anyway.

Thanks for your help
    Alex

2. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Search for the bleed procedure. The Fiat accumulator part is cheapest for a replacement. What year F430?

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If the pump is not running i dont see bleeding it is the place to start.
    It might be a pressure switch issue or the pump is broke

4. Daryl Zernick

Daryl Zernick Karting

Jul 7, 2020
    South Bend, IN
    Full Name:
    Daryl A. Zernick
    My pump died once according to my mechanic. I got into these forums and found that usually the only thing wrong with the pump is the pump motor. The difference in price between a new pump and just the pump motor is about $4,250 with the motor costing $350. It's also a do it yourself job if you are mechanically inclined. Here is a link to the replacement pump motor: https://www.ebay.com/itm/253671754602

If you read the posts, people recommend changing the fuse to a higher amperage, however, my mechanic simply used the normal fuse and all has worked fine since replacement last year, about 5k miles.

Qavion likes this.
  5. SwissF430

SwissF430 Rookie

Jun 16, 2021
    Full Name:
    Alex Sennhauser
    My car is from April 2005.

i’ll check for the procedure anyway.

6. SwissF430

SwissF430 Rookie

Jun 16, 2021
    Full Name:
    Alex Sennhauser
    thanks Daryl for the information. When your pump (or better said motor) died, was it from one day to the other? And it would not make any sound anymore when it’s dead (complete silence)?

I still have not heard from the workshop, probably not a good sign…

7. Daryl Zernick

Daryl Zernick Karting

Jul 7, 2020
    South Bend, IN
    Full Name:
    Daryl A. Zernick
    My motor had completely fried. The mechanic who replaced the motor brought it out and it had that burned electrical smell. Prior to it failing completely, I had a few times from day to day where it would enter the limp home mode. I would pull over, shut the car down, start it back up, and most of the time it immediately cleared the system and I continued on. When it finally gave up, I went through the same procedure several times, the pump would not engage at all and the car would eventually just not start at all. Again, since replacing the pump motor, I have had none of the above issues. I hope this helps!!

8. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    I read somewhere that the early F430 has the 360 pump and that there was a better pump on later cars.

9. SwissF430

SwissF430 Rookie

Jun 16, 2021
    Full Name:
    Alex Sennhauser
    Thanks Daryl, it does help. I did not experience this behavior, but apparently the pump is dead.

I have now received the diagnosis from the dealer, and it really looks bad.
    First of all, the pump is dead. They are yet to confirm if it's the whole thing or only the motor.
    Question here: I am aware there was an older and an upgraded version of the motor. Can both be used on the same pump? If it's only the motor needing a replacement, I'd prefer to use the newer version, but I don't know if that fits?

Furthermore, the accumulator should be replaced. I read that this is kind of a maintenance thing anyway, so I guess that is fine (I also read it's the same unit as for Alfa Romeo and Fiat, but I'll have the dealer confirming this).

Also the eDiff control valve is broken/leaking and needs replacement. It seems that this was/is the underlying issue.

10. Daryl Zernick

Daryl Zernick Karting

Jul 7, 2020
    South Bend, IN
    Full Name:
    Daryl A. Zernick

Having read the forums previously, I do believe that motor, which is supposed to be superior than stock, will work on any F430 pump. You might try to message the eBay seller just to confirm, but I am 99.9% sure it will. I am also 99.9% sure that the dealer will tell you that you need to replace the entire pump with motor. Again, reading these forums, it is HIGHLY unlikely that the pump itself is bad.

Interesting that they believe the eDiff control valve is broken. I occasionally get the triangles under the tires suspension warning when I first start the car. I have been simply turning off the car and then back on and the warning goes away. Sounds like I should probably have my mechanic take a look at that valve... curious, did they say they found that fault through an ECU reader or did they physically observe and discover the broken part?

Perhaps, too, the issue is the accumulator... good info! I found this on accumulator replacement... another DIY repair if you are so inclined... https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/f1-accumulator-bulb-replacement-procedure.555260/

SwissF430 likes this.
  11. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    #11 mike32, Jun 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    There is a company in uk that does these bits a lot cheaper. ssautotech.co.uk
    About £200 re accumulator, pump and motor about £920 but better quality

SwissF430 and Daryl Zernick like this.
  12. SwissF430

SwissF430 Rookie

Jun 16, 2021
    Full Name:
    Alex Sennhauser
    I actually trust the dealer quite a bit, they are relatively famous here in Switzerland and even own their own racing team.

when I mentioned about only replacing the motor, they said they will check again if it’s sufficient. I did not have the feeling they want to oversell the whole unit. In any case, they full unit was quoted at 1600$ which isn’t a tremendously high price (I’ve read posts where people talked about 4k+…). But they mentioned that Ferrari does not sell the motor alone.

as for the valve, the lead technician already mentioned this possibility when they had the first look out there in the driveway. He mentioned that he had seen this issue which will lead to the pump failure - saying in fact the pump is not the issue itself normally.
    When they had it in the shop they found a pressure error on the ECU but also a leakage on the valve.

btw the control valve seems to be quite pricey, I got their quote over 400$ but was unable to find any shop selling it for less than 600$. So I guess it’s a good price and it also speaks for the shop to not over charge on parts.

Daryl Zernick likes this.
  13. Daryl Zernick

Daryl Zernick Karting

Jul 7, 2020
    South Bend, IN
    Full Name:
    Daryl A. Zernick
    That's great! I wish I had access to a dealer like that, but unfortunately I am no where near one. I look forward to hearing that all is well with your 430 soon!!

14. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The outfit i mentioned also have test rigs for the actuators etc, the pump they sell is better than the oem they claim. Lots of pics on google

SwissF430 likes this.
  15. SwissF430

SwissF430 Rookie

Jun 16, 2021
    Full Name:
    Alex Sennhauser
    Thanks Mike, I’m going to check it out. I’ve seen a lot of shops in the UK for Ferrari, I guess there is quite a community there!

16. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Superperformance in uk showing f1 gearbox pump @ £395

17. SwissF430

SwissF430 Rookie

Jun 16, 2021
    Full Name:
    Alex Sennhauser
    Hi folks,

I got my car back from the dealer and following parts (regarding the F1) have been replaced:
    - Accumulator
    - Gear box regulator valve
    - F1 Pump motor (old design motor)
    - Relais (replaced with Scuding Advanced EMT)

On my 350km way home I ended up in a very bad traffic jam towards the end and the Scuding device threw an error. Unfortunately I did not read yet the manual so I missed getting the error code (when I got home I read the manual but when I came back the module reset already). I noticed the pump running relatively often during the drive (blue LED showing), at least every 2 minutes.

Today I went for another drive and after about 1hr I got an error again. This time I could retrieve it and it's error 7 "pump runs too often". At this point I was driving slowly (30kmh) without gear changes. However the car was quite hot. Before, during the 1hr drive there was no error, even when changing gears often, but again I saw the blue light coming up a lot of times even when driving at constant speed without gear changes. At least every 2 minutes, sometimes more often, sometimes less.

What is the normal behaviour of the pump? Should it run that much even if I don't change gears?

I tested while having the car in ignition but without the engine running and I could achive multipe times 4-5 shifts between neutral and 1st gear before the pump would run again. But the car was cold at that time. Leaving it in neutral or 1st, without changing gears, it took 5:30 / 5:40mins until the pump runs again, for max. 2 seconds.

The pump would always run for 2-3 seconds maximum (except when opening the door - then 6-8seconds) - also during the driving.

Any thoughts? I had the Liqui Molly hydraulic fluid in the system before the issue and I saw the workshop replaced with the Shell Spirax ATF again (I forgot to tell them). I don't know if they have drained the system completely. I imagine they did, as the accumulator was changed, I asked them to be sure (pending response).

Is it possible that the old style motor is not as powerful as the new one and thus it runs more often? Does anybody know if the Scuding EMT is working the same way for both motors?

Thanks a lot,
    Alex

18. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Did they bleed the actuator and make sure screws on actuator are tight ..

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

19. SwissF430

SwissF430 Rookie

Jun 16, 2021
    Full Name:
    Alex Sennhauser
    According to their tech yes they did. They mentioned it could be normal in heavy traffic as the clutch is also operated by this system and if all comes together it can use a lot of pressure.

I think I’ll reach out to the scuding folks to get their input

Unfortunately the weather is very bad here in Europe at the moment and I don’t have much opportunities to go for test drives :(

20. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Alex- Weather is especially bad in Germany and Holland, with multiple deaths from flooding. At least in Switzerland, the water has someplace to go.

21. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Now it sounds like it has air in the f1 system, if so it is a mix between hydraulic and pneumatic pressure. ie less hydraulic energy stored in the system when the pump cuts out on the pressure switch

22. Gillis Haasnoot

Gillis Haasnoot Karting

Feb 4, 2020
    Leiden, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Gillis Haasnoot
    My pump runs every 1 or 2 minutes or every 2 or 3 shifts. I did a 8000km roadtrip with this behavior. No issues at all. I guess it is normal.

23. Bill ochrane

Bill ochrane Karting

Oct 26, 2018
    Galveston, Texas
    Full Name:
    William Cochrane
    I have a 2005 also but am wondering about a blue led light coming on when the pump runs? Where is this light located?

24. Penzinger

Penzinger Karting

Jul 13, 2019
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Heinz