F1 2020 Delayed: News/updates / is there hope :) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F1 2020 Delayed: News/updates / is there hope :)

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Mar 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I think the Monaco historics will most probably be cancelled.
    As will the Mille Miglia and Villa d'Este. All in May 2020.
    Disclaimer: This is just my private and personal current opinion and feeling and certainly NOT official.

Marcel Massini

Flavio_C, william and DF1 like this.
  2. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Anything is better than nothing, besides there is shortage of good news .

william, jgonzalesm6 and Nembo1777 like this.
  3. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    The problem will be if there is no season this year, how many teams will survive to return the following year? How many can keep their critical staff on payroll for a full year of no F1 or sponsor income?

On the bright side for those who dislike Hamilton, there will be little chance for Hamilton to surpass Schumacher's all-time win record this year with only an 8 race season!

william likes this.
  4. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Hope not as I have tickets!!!

And If it’s cancelled way ahead of time, they won’t make the course up so I would not be able to drive the course either!!!

But will we still be in lockdown by then...personably can’t see it happening due to the economic impact; but just two week ago I would never have thought we would be here either!!!

5. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    The virus peak in USA will be in June/July. Think about the Monterey week mid-August...........
    Monaco, Mille Miglia and VDE will be in eight weeks. My country, Switzerland, is currently locked down for at least five weeks. And there's already talk about an extension.
    Economic impact due to lockdown? Do you really think that anybody thinks/cares about this now? Billions of $$$ have already been destroyed in the past few weeks.
    This crisis will continue for at least 3 or more months, probably six months, some say even 2 years.
    Disclaimer: Just my private and personal opinion.

Marcel Massini

6. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Yup I know; just ignoring the obvious!

Interesting comment by a news commentator today in that the UK stimulus of 300billion is 2% of gdp; during ww2 they were borrowing 20%, so from that point of view a ways to go!

william likes this.
  7. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I´m thining that the SF1000 may be not doing Ferrari´s 1000th GP.

Even the name could be a failure in this car.

jgonzalesm6, furoni, tifosi12 and 2 others like this.
  8. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/51936622

Coronavirus: Ferrari Formula 1 team goes into self-isolation as a precaution

By Andrew Benson

Chief F1 writer

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    The opening four races of the 2020 Formula 1 season have all been cancelled
    The Ferrari Formula 1 team have all gone into self-isolation since their return from the Australian Grand Prix - some in hotels paid for by the company.

The move is a precaution - no member of the team have so far had any symptoms of the coronavirus, Ferrari said.

Ferrari offered to put up in hotels anyone who could not return home because of their personal situation.

This could include having older family members in the house, or children, or a pregnant wife, for example.

Ferrari F1 team members who travelled to Melbourne are to be in quarantine for 14 days from the time they left the paddock in Albert Park.

It is not clear when Ferrari's F1 team will return to work, not least because the company's factories are shut down until 27 March, with no information as to the policy the company will pursue after that date.

The company made the decision to stop production in both its road-car and F1 factories in Modena and Maranello because of the seriousness of the coronavirus outbreak in Italy.

Meanwhile, the Agnelli family who control Fiat and Ferrari have donated 10m euros to help the fight against the coronavirus in Italy.

The money has gone to the Civil Protection Department to deal with the emergency at a national level, and the Agnellis are also buying 150 ventilators from outside Italy to treat people suffering serious symptoms, as well as supplying a fleet of cars to distribute food and medicine to patients, the elderly and other people in need of assistance across Italy.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    What's the latest with F1?
    The start of the F1 season has had to be postponed as a result of the coronavirus.

So far, one employee from McLaren and one from tyre supplier Pirelli have tested positive for coronavirus, and 14 further McLaren team members are in self-isolation in Melbourne because of their close contact with the infected person.

The first four Grands Prix in Australia, Bahrain, Vietnam and China have all been called off and F1 is now preparing to confirm the postponement of the Dutch, Spanish and Monaco Grands Prix, the three races scheduled for May, in the coming days, although talks are still ongoing on the matter.

The sport is also poised to abandon its usual summer break and move it forward to the period up to the end of April, with teams choosing when in that time to shut down their factories.

And the sport's bosses are working on a new calendar into which they hope to shoehorn as many of the original record 22 races as possible.

The tentative plan is to start the season with the Azerbaijan Grand Prix on 7 June, but that may not be realistic given the extent of the coronavirus outbreak and the effect it is having in countries across the world.

F1 rules dictate a minimum of eight races must be held for a season to be defined as a World Championship.

G. Pepper likes this.
  9. DF1

10. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    The Euros have been postponed to 2021. I doubt we will be racing this year.

11. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    I see it dragging on into late August, even September to be safe. But even after that people will still be getting sick and so precautions will be kept in place.

12. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Untill there is a vaccine there won't be a return to normality. vaccine will take a lot of time and untill then, forget economy, races, social encounters, etc, etc..we are in for the long run!

13. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    DF1 likes this.
  14. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

You are very optimistic, I think, although I wish you good luck.
    Personally I wouldn't make any plan (travel or otherwise) before this is completely over, hopefully towards the end of this year.
    My wife just ordered a car in January in France where we are, with delivery planned for end of March.
    The last news we have heard from the dealer is that with the factories lockdown in Germany, she will be lucky to get it this year !!!
    We can't get any booking to cross the Mediterranean Sea this Summer ;
    Most ferry companies from Spain, France and Italy have completely stopped all service and don't know when they will restart.
    One of my daughters actually in England visiting her mother isn't allowed to fly back to Ibiza where she leaves!
    Crazy times !

15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks, I hear you.

My hope is that Europe will return to normalcy come summer. That said my reservation has a free cancellation option.

My bigger issue is that I have F1 tickets for the Dutch GP Paddock and KLM flights. There is lots of $ riding on those if I have to flush them down the drain. Hoping to be able to use them at some point or get my $ back.

kraftwerk, william and G. Pepper like this.
  16. DF1

Brave and very :)

17. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The French tennis tournament that was set to start at the same date as the Monaco GP (May 24th) is already postponed to September, if that's any indication of current expectations regarding a return to normal.

william likes this.
  18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Well IMHO it was the logical thing to do. I discovered last year that Amsterdam is anything but ideal to book: First off all their prices are high to begin with. Second they rarely offer "free cancellation". Few hotels play that game. So the options are getting slim, especially once a GP date has been announced. That's why I pounced on that speculative date from the article you quoted.

Hotels in the Netherlands are plenty and wonderful but Amsterdam is a different story.

kraftwerk, william and DF1 like this.
  19. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    "Return to normal"?
    Not before 2021.

Marcel Massini

william and of2worlds like this.
  20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thanks for this, very informative.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  21. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    375+ likes this.
  22. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Trillions of paper valuation has been erased, and just about everyone (excepting S. Korea) had a flat footed response that only increases the damage and harm that this pandemic will reap.

23. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    For the nostalgics amongst us who are waiting and waiting for the season to start.... Enjoy this Ferrari F1 video, from times when F1 was loud, dangerous and exciting.

375+ likes this.
  24. DF1

Coronavirus: F1 moves summer break from August to March at April

By Andrew Benson

Chief F1 writer - https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/51950673

Formula 1's summer break has been moved forward from August as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.

The new season has been thrown into disarray by the virus and F1 is working on plans to run as long a season as possible once races can be held.

Following unanimous agreement, the 'break' will be held in March and April, with teams choosing a three-week period in that time to close.

It is normally held in August, when teams shut down for two weeks.

The change, made to facilitate fitting in as many races as possible once the season starts, was approved by governing body the FIA's legislative body, the World Motor Sport Council, on Wednesday.

Further changes are expected in due course. Teams and F1 bosses are working on plans for a reshaped calendar with a reduced number of races from the 22 originally scheduled in 2020.

The four opening races in Australia, Bahrain, Vietnam and China have all been postponed, and the three next events in the Netherlands, Spain and Monaco are expected to follow in the coming days.

Ferrari are to start their shutdown on 19 March for three weeks, while Red Bull said in a statement that they were planning to shut down for three weeks from 27 March but "there may be some flexibility around those dates due to the ever-changing nature of the pandemic".

The former champions said they "agreed with the measures being taken to reduce the risk of transmission and will support any further race postponements that are deemed necessary".

They said they were "taking every possible precaution to mitigate the spread of the virus" and were "implementing special working methods, guided by the UK government and medical professionals".

F1 bosses are currently working on a plan to start the season with the Azerbaijan Grand Prix on 7 June but that is dependent on the development of the coronavirus outbreak and related global travel restrictions.

A number of races have been identified as the most likely to be left off a truncated scheduled, with Monaco, Brazil, Spain, China and Australia at the top of the list.

Teams are trying to secure the required unanimous agreement on a plan to delay until 2022 the introduction of major regulations changes which are scheduled for next season.

Nine of the 10 teams agreed to the proposal at a meeting on Tuesday, with only Ferrari asking for more time to consider it.

The idea behind the plan is to keep costs under control at a time when teams are facing reduced revenue as a result of the expected lower number of races.

A further meeting is scheduled for Thursday to discuss the matter again.

25. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Silverstone. The 3 liter era is when I came of age in F1, I followed this period passionately. F1 today is absolute rubbish in comparison. Thanks for posting!

ago car nut and Bas like this.