F1 2020 Delayed: News/updates / is there hope :) | Page 10 | FerrariChat

F1 2020 Delayed: News/updates / is there hope :)

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Mar 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    The tyres and oil stickers are not the problem: it was Gold Leaf who ruined everything.

And let´s not get into the pit babes debate again.

Isobel likes this.
  2. "Remember Elio's two Lotus wins, but don't get it ('know he died there :()......"
    Uuuhhhh...yes. If I were talking about two cars. However, I wasn't. I was referencing his two wins for the one constructor, Lotus. ;)

3. I'd love to get into pit babes again...tho' that was many years ago..... :p

Ooooohhhhh......you said pit babes debate.......... :rolleyes:

4. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    James Hunt was the GOAT in that field!:D

SimCity3 likes this.
  5. I've read 't'weren't so; 'perfect gentleman.

Or, am I thinkin' of Peter (Revson)....??? ;)

6. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Sebastian Vettel has been handed his first new contract offer from Ferrari, but it involves a drastic pay cut, according to reports.

The four-time World Champion is now in the final year of the three-year deal which he signed in 2017, a contract worth €100 million.

Ferrari have made it clear though that Vettel is their preferred option to retain his seat, racing alongside Charles Leclerc.

However, it is the emergence of Leclerc which has hurt Vettel in this situation.

Sky Sports Italia are reporting that Vettel has been offered a new deal by the Scuderia, but only a one-year extension, and it would involve a serious cut to his salary.

Vettel had a poor 2019 by his standards – Leclerc came into the team and in his first season scored more wins, poles and points than Vettel, finishing P4 in the Drivers’ Championship, 24 points ahead of his vastly more experienced team-mate.

Several driver errors also creeped in for Vettel last year, and the fact that 2020 hasn’t got going yet means he hasn’t been able to prove himself again, and so his stock has dropped.

Currently the coronavirus pandemic means that the 2020 season will not begin until June 14 with the Canadian Grand Prix at the very earliest. That race remains under serious threat though, as does the British Grand Prix as far ahead as July 19.

The report states that Vettel has little bargaining power with Daniel Ricciardo, Carlos Sainz and Antonio Giovinazzi all on their radar.

Ricciardo joined Renault ahead of the 2019 season, but with the project yet to reap any rewards, he may move on when his two-year deal expires at the end of 2020.

Sainz enjoyed the best season of his career so far in 2019, finishing P6 in the Drivers’ Championship, whilst also giving McLaren their first podium since 2014 with P3 at the Brazilian Grand Prix.

Giovinazzi is more of a wildcard – he didn’t set the series alight last year at Alfa Romeo but progressed steadily throughout the season and remains part of the Ferrari Driver Academy.

If Ferrari wanted to go down the route of having a clear No.1 and No.2 driver again, then Giovinazzi is the obvious option.

Leclerc’s contract with the teams runs until 2024.

375+ likes this.
  7. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I don't rate Gio at all.

8. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ah the economic forces of supply and demand at play. Nice.

9. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

When you make Jr driver mistakes you should be paid as one. Titles or not. Sound management finally.
    This also deny's Vettel saying he left because he was not offered a new deal. He is being forced out in my opinion.

polishhammer83, DeSoto and william like this.
  10. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    I can't believe Ferrari have already thrown in the towel on 2021.

william likes this.
  11. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I can hardly believe that.
    The decision makers must have soft chees between the ears.

12. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    If true, that's right in my book: they haven't fired him to not have a ticking bomb in the box this season, and if he stays, at least he will be cheaper and will know his current place in the food chain.

DF1 likes this.
  13. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Vettel is well past his sell by date.Ferrari just delaying the inevitable until they have a sure fire proposition to put in his seat.

Offer him say $5 mio basic and good bonus for points. Dont like it? ok adios!

william and DF1 like this.
  14. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    UK just said it’s likely to be at least 6 months before we are potentially back to normal.

I think Silverstone would only happen without spectators; if Pirelli, Ferrari and the rest of the circus could fly in!!!

15. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yup life as we know it has changed :(

16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The UK government may adopt the recommendation of the chief medical officer and add another 6 months to the confinement and social distancing

Running from April 15, that could end mid-October, if the epidemy has been stopped by then.

I can't see how the government could allow sporting events until then, nor allow team staff to travel.

If they relax the restrictions too early, they could see a resurgence of Covid-19, and get the blame for it.

A348W likes this.
  17. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    +1

Super nice guy. My brother was (and still is) his biggest fan. He used to spend as much time as possible around him and his manager (who to this day is still in contact with my brother) at the GP here. I still remember when, in 1985, he promised my brother a good qualifying result and then, after securing pole no less, said to him “see, I told you!”

Regarding the accident, the real problem was that there were no marshals around to put out the fire, just a couple of guys in shorts with spent fire extinguishers. Prost recounts in the Netflix documentary about Fangio how he stopped (he was following him on track) and saw he was moving but nobody was able to put out the fire and get him out. Prost also mentioned how much he liked him.

375+, Bas, Isobel and 1 other person like this.
  18. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Now Wimble done. Enough of an indicator that Canada won’t be around in June. Don’t need to wait until Easter for a determination, cases are climbing everywhere in Canada, especially in La Belle Province. October race ? N-n-no M-m-m-m-merci!

zygomatic, Simon^2 and DF1 like this.
  19. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/148891/engine-development-freeze-could-be-introduced

Formula 1 could impose an engine development freeze on the current power units as an emergency measure if there needs to be a further dramatic reduction in costs to save teams.

With the coronavirus pandemic having a major financial impact on everyone involved in the series, discussions are already under way between the competitors, the FIA and F1 chiefs about how expenditure can be further reduced in the future.

A raft of measures - including delaying the new 2021 regulations until '22 and carrying over the current cars into next year - have already been agreed.

But amidst the likelihood that the squeeze on finances will not come to an end quickly, further discussions are taking place about extra measures that can be taken if needed.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

One area being considered is a reduction in the budget cap from its current $175 million level that comes in to force from the start of next year.

However, there are concerns that moving that down by $25 million or more would only really affect the top three teams - and could force a number of redundancies at a time when employees may find it hard to get other work.

Another possibility is to limit engine development work by putting a freeze on the current power units, which could last for several years.

This would dramatically reduce R&D costs and would also have a knock-on effect in potentially reducing engine bills for customer teams.

Talks on these and other ideas to reduce costs - including delaying the new car rules until 2023 - will remain ongoing while the coronavirus crisis plays out.

However, it is clear that there is a mood among all the outfits to now make sure that decisions are made that help secure the grid rather than play to individual teams' benefits.

Mercedes recently approved a plan to keep a 2021 ban on DAS in place, even though it is the only team running it, while Ferrari supported the delay in the new car rules even though it looks like it is behind its rivals with its current car.

20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    This will please some people:

"Silverstone could host multiple 2020 Formula 1 races

Home of the British GP could fill in for various cancelled grands prix in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motorsport/silverstone-could-host-multiple-2020-formula-1-races

British GP host circuit Silverstone could be called upon to host multiple races this year to make up for those cancelled as a result of the coronavirus outbreak.

Track bosses will decide before the end of April whether the 2020 British Grand Prix will go ahead as planned on 19 July and have said they are open to the idea of hosting more than one grand prix.
    The first eight rounds of the 2020 Formula 1 season have been cancelled or postponed, but F1 bosses still hope that "between 15 and 18 races" will still take place.
    Silverstone MD Stuart Pringle told Sky Sports News that the track could feasibly be considered for multiple events, citing its proximity to several teams’ HQs and range of layout options.
    He said: “All I've done is say to Formula 1 we are willing to work with them in any way, shape or form that they think is in the best interests of the championship.
    "The majority of the teams are within a stone's throw of the circuit, so operationally it would be pretty straightforward.
    "We've got the fixed infrastructure, the staff could go home to their own beds of an evening in large parts, so if that's how we can help, then I'd be delighted to do that."
    F1 bosses have said the 2020 season will differ "significantly" from the original calendar and is likely to extend beyond the traditional November end date.
    Some of the postponed races, including the Bahrain and Spanish GPs, could still go ahead, but others have been cancelled entirely. The Monaco GP, for example, will take place “under no circumstances”.

That seems a bit far-getched to me, but we are living in a different era
    Maybe Liberty can breathe now.

tifosi12 likes this.
  21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Brown warns four F1 teams could disappear amid crisis

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-lose-four-teams-crisis-brown/4777427/

McLaren Formula 1 team CEO Zak Brown has cautioned that the sport could lose as many as four teams if the coronavirus crisis "isn't handled the right way."

But which teams would that be?

Williams, Haas, Alfa-Sauber and Alpha Tauri for financial reasons?

Or

Renault, McLaren, and Mercedes using Covid-19 as an excuse to exit F1 ?

22. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Or Ferrari... They threaten to quit most years anyway! :p

Bas and tifosi12 like this.
  23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yes. Also, whilst the "poor" teams may wish for a further reduction of the budget cap, to stay in the game, the "rich" teams may consider they won't be able to buy their way to the top if the FIA clip their wings.
    The discrepancy in budget sizes, staff numbers and resources is enormous at the moment.

Simon^2 likes this.
  24. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Austria will soon be opening up some social spaces and non-essential shops.

But then Austria is a very clean and disciplined nation compared to others !

25. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    And when all the Italian and German tourists arrive...