F1 2016 silly season/Driver moves | Page 31 | FerrariChat

F1 2016 silly season/Driver moves

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Mar 23, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Massa at Williams next year!!!!

2. Lucky Jones

Lucky Jones Karting

Sep 17, 2015
    Manteca
    Full Name:
    Dave
    From the other thread, my edits.

That last is the truest thing I've heard him say...

Haha

3. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
  4. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    So it's Bottas at Merc!

5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Perfect!

A great wingman to Hambone

6. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm not sure I see those signs just yet, but it's not that far out there.

I'm sure he could convince the board with his numbers that it's the right thing to do. Especially if Liberty makes it hard for Ferrari to take as big a part of the pie.

7. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The preferential treatment clause may not be on the next contract when it's pushed across the table for Marchione to sign.

That's a drop of $80M a year in the budget.

8. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Liberty are not stupid. They know if Ferrari quits 50% of fans go with them.

9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Liberty may finally call that bluff, once and for all !!

10. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

#760 DF1, Dec 20, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    Fans are leaving F1 with Ferrari on the grid. Lets be quite serious. F1 is in need of more help than Ferrari staying. They need a working formula for the future. Question is will Ferrari remain with a new Formula. More electric/hybrid etc. F1 needs a solid identity in the sea of change in racing in general and auto makers.

11. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Bernie might have seen this coming and sold while it was hot

12. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    It may sound ridiculous, but many can show that fantasy football actually helped revive the NFL. I'm not suggesting that is something for F1, and I know there are fantasy f1leagues etc, but perhaps some out of the box thinking is required here. Even if the racing improves and the noise comes back, it may not be enough to grow the fan base.

13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Why this constant worry about the size of the F1 audience?
    F1 is for F1 enthusiasts, it's not like fashion or a trend to follow to be like everybody.

F1 existed before the Mosley, the Todt and Ecclestone of this world. It existed before TV broadcast, the internet, Twitter, advertising and other gimmicks.
    F1 existed when there was no celebrities around, no Taylor Swift concerts, no money to be made there, etc...

I really don't see why F1 needs a huge crowd to be appreciated.
    Less people may in fact be better, if they are die-hard enthusiast, and not just fellow travellers.

14. DF1

The part Bernie has been reticent to invest in - fan interaction/access.

15. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    I wonder when the guys at Ferrari are coming off their high horse...Certainly every driver must prove to be worth getting a ride but after the episode with Alonso and now with Vettel it is more like Ferrari has to earn his place to have a multiple WDC.
    Ferrari still has some glory but if they do not start to deliver there might not be to much left to attract top drivers with anything else than money. Vettel might have been over motivated for parts of the season and must tone down but far more Ferrari has to start winning...

16. DF1

It might be that they want champion behavior first and not an agitated driver screaming. That being said this is not the MS way of working in or with Ferrari. That died with LdM departure. They clearly dont care to see Vettel being a MS type team leader but maybe want him focused on the driving more. Who knows. Its Italian :)

17. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    That seems like a rather naive position to take William. If F1 doesn't continue to grow and other motorsports surpass it, advertising will leave, manufacturers will leave, the best drivers will look elsewhere...and it will not longer be the pinnacle of driving.

I don't care how big the audience is, but if FOM and the FIA also don't care, then soon F1 will cease to be interesting to us because it will be a shell of its former self.

18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #769 william, Dec 21, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    In any activity, you will find "fair weather enthusiasts", people who follow because of the hype, the glamour and the publicity, and then leave when it's not trendy anymore, or something better arrives on the scene, etc...
    I have seen it in other sports I follow, where public interest declined.
    I am not worried about that.

In fact, if Grand Prix was to go back to his roots and be again a semi-professional sport for eccentric amateurs without advertising and not awash with money, that would suit me fine.

19. IanMac

IanMac Formula 3

Jul 26, 2006
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian
    If the audience reduces significantly you won't see it unless you spend a lot of time and money travelling the world, because it won't be on television.

20. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Vettel and Kimi must be livid at that bs from sweater. What a prat, he messes up the team, causes mass demotivation, and then steps all over the two guys who actually put their lives on the line driving the rubbish his demotivated team produce. If I was Vettel, I'd tell him not to worry about 2018, I'll be gone, and disappear off to a team that values him, and Kimi take my pension and run. The scuderia won't be winning anytime soon, and destroying the motivation of every person in the team is not the way to get anywhere near winning in the near future

21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Yes, there is that, of course.

GP could lose it's prominent live broadcast if the advertisers don't support it. I understand that possibility. But there are plenty of motor racing in lower categories that are covered on smaller channels, not live. So I gather that F1 would still be on the box, somehow.

I used to follow GP when you could only read a column in the paper the day after. Now there is the internet, YouTube, etc... Plus plenty of forums!!!!

22. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I think the "fair weather" enthusiasts that only follow because of the glamour have been a core part of the audience since the late 70s, if not earlier. That's not who I am or who I identify with, but they still pour money into the sport. I really don't have a problem with it either. People don't have to enjoy things the same way as me for me to accept them.

You can't make anything successful by just catering to the hardcore enthusiasts IMO. You see the same thing in the NFL - there are hardcore fans and people that are there because of the club seat and luxury box environment. You need to be able to appeal to both to be successful. There is no "correct" way to be a fan IMO.

The auto industry is the same way. You hear a lot of criticism of Ferrari for not making more hardcore cars. But in reality, that isn't the actual way to be successful as a company. Like everything in business and life, striking the right balance is difficult, but essential for success.

23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    The conversation was that if its audience doesn't grow, F1 is at risk.

I consider that it isn't: it will just go back to a hardcore of followers, so advertising will shrink and with it the teams budgets. So be it ...