F-DOG New Drivers Group | FerrariChat

F-DOG New Drivers Group

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by 1974gt4, Oct 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani
    Greetings all:
    hear Ye hear Ye, the New Ferrari Drivers Owners Group has arrived.

Some of you may know who I am, some not so much. I participated in FOG from its earliest beginnings and was present at the first Holiday party, and my focus was and always will be the cars/the drive and the relationships that come from the mutual appreciation we as drivers share for these cars.

In the interests of re-creating the spirit and form of some of the very best parts of FOG I have decided to offer a Sunday morning drive this 28th October.

>>>Let me say what this group will be:
    1. It will be a small number of up to 7 cars of people who want to exercise their cars

2. It will be a group of people who happen to be on the same roads and at the same place at the same time. No waivers or boards, no agendas, no hierarchy, no dues or no financial requirements

3. We exist for the drive, the mutual enjoyment of our cars and the fortunate position we find ourselves to experience some of the finest motorcars on the planet.

4. We will do this individually as a group. A small group.

5. We will all drive at our own pace and all skill levels of drivers are welcome. Manners are required reading.

6. Drives will be determined BY PARTICIPANTS. If you don't have a drive to share, create one and lets see some new roads, please.

7. Drives will happen when we want them to, it's an organic approach to driving,
    NO OBLIGATIONS or explanations: son's baseball game? Cleaning out the closet for the wife or hubby? No problem. Take from it what you want. This is supposed to BE FUN and my goal is to recapture that.

>>>Let me say what this new drivers' group won't be:

1. There will be no parades, processions and our intent is to actually remain low profile, as low profile as we can be anyway.

2. There will be no breakfasts of 35 people overwhelming restaurants, waiting for people to pay for what they have ordered. When we stop it will be for coffee, gas and a snack, then more driving.

3. We will not morph into anything else, ever. We will not become a charitable organization. Our core is driving and, we like to drive. Did I mention driving is our focus?

4. We will not have, nor do anything we don't want to, we are obligation free and the failure or success is totally based on my estimation that there are maybe just 7 cars and drivers who think what we might do on sunday is FUN, worthy and worth your time.

1. Italiani

2. Chrigel

Chrigel Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2005
    Finally!!!!!!

Love it, love it, love it.

I know a nice drive in the East Bay.

3. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Sounds good to me. I work 6 days a week, so Sundays are the only day I have to go for a drive. My wife gets carsick, so when I go for a drive it's just me, and I usually just want to drive get some coffee and drive back. Sometimes coffee, drive out, coffee, drive back.

4. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani
    1. Italiani

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    No parades?
    No stickers?
    No crowds and attention seeking?
    No multiple layers of management and oversight?
    What a revolutionary idea.

When the 328 is done I'll be happy to join in.

6. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    One of my favorite early memories of FOG was the first visit to Nick's Cove, wherby a certain person did a burnout in the parking lot, flying the finger on very hasty exit after being unduly scorned by the valet....

Show of hands of those that remember that fine introduction.....

I am thinking of starting another club, one where the members consist of individuals whose wrench time greatly exceeds seat time....we can get together and wallow in our misery.

When either of the two cars get put back together, count me in.

Geno

7. kouroshoo7

kouroshoo7 Formula 3

Jul 21, 2007
    Full Name:
    Kourosh
    1. Italiani
    2.NOT ME... I actually love meeting and greeting my FOG brothers and sisters and I enjoy sitting down and having a few words with friends over a nice soft scramble. Your new club seems a bit too hardcore. call me a wuss but its the whole package that turns me on. Plus JD is not going to be there so for sure I wont have a good time. Enjoy your military drive gents.

8. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    A club of seven?

Kai

9. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani
    Please allow me to thank you for making such a statement. I know you and I enjoy some of the same things: Our mutual admiration and respect of Jerome, waterjet technology, and of course Ferrari's; we clearly differ on others too.

The what FOG has morphed into is clearly something I and others have rejected. I was there over quite a few soft scrambles K. And at one time; it was good. Many people lament it's passing.

Perhaps it is the dictatorship nature, the autocratic choosing of charities, the plastering of stickers on already beautiful forms, the self importance it all hath brought, ...there are too many to count...and you have the sack to call this military? ""Have your car here by this time but only 430's and above because we don't have stickers for""' ....blah blah blah, oh please with that. Military, which service were you in?

I myself have made a statement too, but instead of taking up space on a list of who's IN and putting up ""NOT ME"",

I like so many others HAVE JUST CHOSEN OUT...QUIETLY; much the same way I believe CHARITABLE contributions and work should be done, anomously, quitely, and not in a way to draw yet more attention to one's self.

Really K?
    Was this necessary? Do you think anyone has difficulty seeing the large embroidered
    "J" & "K" on your cheerleaders outfit? The pom poms suit you I will say, you always the sytlish one.

It's too bad that you see this as an "OR" choice when it can be an "AND" one. You are welcome to excercise your car with us any time, your Ferrari will thank you for finially getting it out of second gear on the way to the Bay Club.

And to you K and anyone else, this isn't a CLUB at all. It is only a small low impact drivers group. Anyone welcome, we decide in democratic fashion what we do and when. Other groups can do what they do. I think the two can co-exist. Perhaps you think not.

And one last question my english as a second language speaking friend? When did you become the nominated voice piece of JD one of FOGs most witty, and eloquent speakers?

I think he quite capable to answer for himself....if he chooses.

10. kouroshoo7

kouroshoo7 Formula 3

Jul 21, 2007
    Full Name:
    Kourosh
    #10 kouroshoo7, Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
    Dearest easy going Italiani,

1. Dictatorship nature? My friend you obviously have not lived under any dictatorship if you think fog has a dictator.

2. "Autocratic choosing of charities" You are free to always suggest your favorite charities for consideration at anytime. You know this, it has been discussed before.

3. "The plastering of stickers on already beautiful forms" Yes, those stickers are from sponsors and they pay the charities loads of money to put their stickers on the cars. They dont damage the car and they are temporary. Plus, I love stickers.

4. " Which service were you in? " I was not in any service and I dont believe in any military establishment, but at one point in my life, I was being haunted by a cruel military leader.

5."I like so many others HAVE JUST CHOSEN OUT...QUIETLY; much the same way I believe CHARITABLE contributions and work should be done, anomously, quitely, and not in a way to draw yet more attention to one's self."

I believe if you draw attention you can raise more money. Hence the stickers. How else people going to know about FOG and BPN.

6. "large embroidered
    "J" & "K" on your cheerleaders outfit? J & K... you must explain this one because I dont own any Pom Poms and have absolutely no idea what you are taking about. If you are saying that I am a cheerleader For J, you are absolutely correct. I love and respect the man for all his efforts he has put in to this group and brought so many amazing people together.

7. "you always the sytlish one" Thanks Italiani, I dont even try to be, it comes naturally.

8. " your Ferrari will thank you for finially getting it out of second gear on the way to the Bay Club." well, at least I go to the gym... I've lost 30 pounds you know and i fell GREAT.

9. "I think the two can co-exist. Perhaps you think not." I actually think 100 groups can co-exist, but i dont appreciate your negative comments about FOG. Totally not necessary. You could have just posted your thread without all your negativity....

10. "And one last question my english as a second language speaking friend?"
    Yes, english is my second language and Farsi (the language of love and poetry) is my first. What does my first or second language have anything to do with it.... are you being prejudice?

11. " voice piece of JD " Obviously Im not the voice of JD, If I was I would be a million times smarter. I'm just taking a wild guess that he wont be showing up on your lets not stop for breakfast drives anytime soon.

All this said, I wish no bad on your drives in anyway. Im just being me with my comments. But I really would appreciate if you would not, in a public forum speak about FOG and the hard charitable work that it does. Its uncalled for and RUDE. I know for a fact that you are a very charitable person ( Growing you hair for the kids with cancer).

Give my love to the misses and the pooch.

kourosh
    please excuse any tpyos and grammar stuff, english is my second language

11. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani
    ...Pinocchio has a long nose is nothing more than observation.

My observations of fog are as obvious.

Because you think it rude to speak to the very strong undercurrent surrounding fog and think it rude to do so, perhaps you would compliment the emperors new clothes as well.

1. As stated, dictatorship nature. If you think this a singular observation you are mistaken

2. I did offer the Marin Brain injury network when they were written up in the Marin IJ in dire need of funding. Their budget was like $250k and we could have done real good there with a $100k contribution, something all of us could be subject to--- in case of an auto injury(!) to one of our FOG brothers/sisters or families... Network in place, helping people in our back yard live independent lives with dignity, in an existing network. Ask Dr Bob, RSQP, and Vraiment if it happened. You weren't even part of the discussion, so you telling me I'm free to suggest charities is quite misplaced, as is much of your energy here. Nor was I part of the discussion as it turned out. It wasn't even considered,""the decision has been made"". I was there. QUASHED ! Deaf ears. This in OUR back yard; helping people we could know and support. Maybe even have relationships with, watch progress. Care about.

3. Better check with some of the troops, damaged cars? Ahhh, yes---not so fast Cinderella, it didn't turn out as you thought.

4. Well you have balls to describe a very organic, self described democratic driving group with that adjective/noun. I take exception to it. US COAST Guard, Class 1983 so I do know what military is and baby, this ain't it.

5. Your beliefs, mine are different.

6. Bronzing a statue anytime soon?

7. One of the virtues I admire in you K

8. Yes but your car needs the exercise too, please allow me to assist. She will never forget me.

9. The ""negativity"" is palpable and just because I have the backbone to address it as a spring board to recreate that which WAS good with fog doesn't make me a hater. Reread this observe it's not about tearing anything down, but creating SOMETHING ELSE. Not at the expense of one but in CONJUNCTION WITH.

10. /11. It struck me odd and still does that you tell me I won't be seeing JD, to have been ordained as his diplomat, emissary or the like strikes me as out of place. When I see something that doesn't look right I say so. It doesn't look right K. Have you ever known me to exhibit any racists behaviors what so ever? The question is poppycock and absurd to you to try and float.

Well, I am sorry if you feel that the rudeness is all you can glean from this post.

I SEE NO INFLAMMATORY, ACCUSATORY OR SINGULAR SENTENCE THAT IS OR CAN BE SEEN AS RUDE.

It is observation, pure and simple. The opinion is widely held and you damn well know it. So do many of the 300+ readers of this thread.

If you don't like the news...go out and make some of your own.

Coming sunday? The offer still stands. There's still time to enjoy a drive....that's the point.

That's how FOG started. I was there to see, and see I did.

12. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Let's put a stop to this please. It's not necessary to put one group down in order for another group to go about its activities. Users will choose those groups that appeal to them.

Please continue from this:

1. Italiani

13. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani

14. Semik

Semik Karting

Oct 12, 2011
    Sausalito
    Full Name:
    M
    1. Italiani
    2. Semik

15. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    Is sarcasm your second? ;)

16. Semik

Semik Karting

Oct 12, 2011
    Sausalito
    Full Name:
    M
    Haha, I love it!!! I guess technically it would be my 5th, as English actually IS my 3rd language...that being said, I think most situations could benefit from some lighthearted humor and witty banter. ;) This is supposed to be fun....and if it isn't, then what's the point, really? :)

17. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani
    the process utilized by 2 (!) has determined: the drive will be starting early.

0700, back early too, say 0900...secret batcave starting location gladly offered to participants.

18. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Oh, I can join that club for sure. Except I enjoy the wrench time. My car has graciously broken in such a way that I have a heck of a lot of enjoyment scheduled this winter.

I'll come on one of these drives but it is going to be a few months.

19. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    I remember a long time ago when I would meet up to drive with other people, it was fun. I made a lot of good friends.

Sounds fun!

20. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani
    From another FOG member in the Sunday morning drive section:

Vintage FOG
    There was a different meeting point...
    FOGs origins began a few weeks before this, but this is the first know video recording of our drives. For those that are interested, FOG in it's infancy:

http://vimeo.com/m/6228059

Some of you may recognize the guy in the middle at the end of that video, wearing glasses, waving, smiling like a goon...that was me who was a passenger that day in none other than Joe's 430 Scud, yes the same Joe who is so oft credited with ''formed FOG", hard to imagine sometimes.

Other things too are hard to imagine...Like yesterday at noon when I called none other than the same fearless leader of FOG whose car I rode in all those moons past and personally invited him on the F-DOG drive. The same offer I made to Karoosh and is open to everyone else.

Well do you all know how my demonstration of the true spirit of fog as I remember it and it is depicted in the above video was received?

The act of making this the place welcome for anyone ? The truth and demonstration of :

"It's too bad that you see this as an "OR" choice when it can be an "AND" one. You are welcome to excercise your car with us any time, your Ferrari will thank you..."

Joe removed me and the lovely 1.3 ...in wholesale fashion from FOG's email list with impunity, simply as one remove a foe....but I am not any ones foe.

That email that you all got regarding the difference between FOG and the FOG charitable foundation...well, I didn't get it. Nor did 1.3. No explanations, reasons, nothing.

REMOVED !

Excommunicated, banished.

And my appeal to him in email format to please reinstate us...I will gladly forward to anyone who asks for it...

MY Observations are based on fact. I wonder why we all can't just get along, there's enough road way for all.

Sad days indeed.

21. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    No more FOG, so no worries...

Kai

22. sanchezdds

sanchezdds Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2009
    California
    I might want to tag along in the future:) If it's ok?

23. sanchezdds

sanchezdds Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2009
    California
    I know! I just got the e-mail.

24. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani
    All drivers welcome, & as demonstrated, even Joe.

---it's supposed to be fun.

25. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    ??? explain