F-117 flying again? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F-117 flying again?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by alexD, Nov 16, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    did you drive up on the sidewalk?

2. alexD

alexD F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2006
    sunnyvale
    Full Name:
    alex d
    I would be surprised if that specific mug was still considered 'top secret', unless it's classification simply hasn't expired yet. Perhaps the classified part is the owners association with the program, or Skunkworks in general? In any case, classified or not, I wouldn't expect the owner of one of these pieces of aviation history to be willing to part with it.

3. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    LOL! I was wondering the same thing after seeing the angle where the 993 is parked in the lot.

4. kevin956

kevin956 Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2004
    Pasadena, CA
    #29 kevin956, Nov 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I took a photo or two with the car in the parking lot and the gentleman staffing the small visitor center wandered over and asked my lovely bride why I didn't pull my car up on the sidewalk for a better photo. We didn't want to be rude, so we were happy to oblige. He obviously got a kick out of interacting with visitors and making sure people enjoyed their visit. Certainly made my day. Here's a few others:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

BJK likes this.
  5. 10boom

10boom Karting

Jan 5, 2005
    WA
    It's really no secret that when they retired the F-117's, they moved the majority of them back to Tonopah(where they were originally based) and still use them as a weapons "test bed" among other things. I don't think there is really any significant find on the videos here. The US Air Force, and the US Navy routinely fly "retired" aircraft for testing, albeit top secret or not.

6. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Yeah.... I still see F-4s flying a few times a year. As recently as four years ago I have seen four ship formation of them in a green paint scheme, not the orange tail drones.

7. alexD

alexD F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2006
    sunnyvale
    Full Name:
    alex d
    That's news to me. There aren't exactly many 'top secret' aircraft that have gone from operational to retired (that the public knows of)...the only two I know of are the A-12/SR-71 (which are definitely NOT flying any more) and the F-117, which, if they have been flying it as a weapons test bed, this is the first time anyone has reported it.

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Mark- The Germans were flying F-4Fs out of Holloman AFB very recently. They have also flown them at Red Flags.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

9. kevin956

kevin956 Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2004
    Pasadena, CA
    #34 kevin956, Nov 25, 2010
  10. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Yeah, these were definitely USAF birds. Can't remember the tail flash but I have pictures of them someplace.

Any idea how many F-4s the Germans have left? I vaguely skimmed an article in one of the aviation mags recently about it being the end of the run for one of their squadrons but can't remember if there were more left.

If I remember correctly the F-117 was designed so the wings could be removed easily so they could be transported by C-5. Also from the old memory banks I think there was at least one lost (at an airshow?) when one of the wings wasn't quite installed correctly after transport. Something about a pin being put in backwards?

11. alexD

alexD F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2006
    sunnyvale
    Full Name:
    alex d
    Cool pic...I had no idea the wings were removable. I'm guessing that was taken after these jets were retired.

12. 10boom

10boom Karting

Jan 5, 2005
    WA
    True, maybe "Top Secret" wasn't the right word, because the F-117 wasn't completely Top Secret when it was retired. Remember though, the F-117 was flying with active squadron out of Tonopah for several years before it was publicly acknowledged. They still fly it to this day, that's pretty well known. Also, how are you absolutely sure they don't fly the SR-71 anymore?? I think most would people would be surprised to find out what's flying out of central Nevada.

13. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #38 zygomatic, Nov 26, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
    Best I've heard the name came from a F-117A test pilot who, on an early test flight, described the aircraft as feeling like a "wobbly goblin" before an [undescribed] computer compensation kicked in. The comment was overheard by an aviation journalist, and the nickname was born.

14. Jodan108

Jodan108 Formula Junior

Jul 13, 2009
    Cleveland, OH
    Full Name:
    Dan
    All the airframes are accounted for (unfortunately), there are a few good tables on the wikipedia pages with the dispositions. Its one aircraft I really wish I could have seen in flight.

Makes me happy that the '117 might be flying again though. I was lucky enough to sit in the cockpit of one back in the late 90's, active ejection seat and everything ;-) ...still have the pictures, somewhere...

15. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    It appears to coincide with the rumors, being stored at Area 52 TTR in a climate controlled hangar.

16. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#41 Tcar, Dec 16, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
    Shoot, even Mach 1 was just a dream... wouldn't even do that.

17. alexD

alexD F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2006
    sunnyvale
    Full Name:
    alex d
    Not really a dream...even if the plane was capable of flying supersonic, it would never have done it. Sonic booms are a pretty good way to announce your unwanted presence, not to mention it will make you a much bigger target for IR sensors.

18. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    F/A-18 engines with no afterburners. No thought of ever going supsersonic. Transonic airflow (~ mach 0.92- 1.04) screws up bomb ballistics, even if they were laser guided (GBU-10/12/27). Supercruise (mach 1+ in military power) is only now happening with the F-22A, although I did lose a case of beer bet that F-111F 70-2400 would not go supersonic in mil. It did (mach 1.1 at FL240). Fastest F-111 ever built.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

19. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #44 Wade, May 12, 2013
    These images were posted elsewhere on the 'net with comments about the F-117 being "scrapped", and no one challenging what was stated.

So, I needed a definitive answer and, according to aerospaceweb.org:

20. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Reagan originally started Stealth as a way to bankrupt the USSR & it worked

USSR realized it would cost more $ than they had to develop the tech to track Stealth so it helped destroy the USSR

21. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

I think Regan's "Star Wars" SDI had more to do with it than stealth planes...

22. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I plan on going to Blackbird park in Palmdale and hope to see the F117 there. It was on display for a while but saw a recent youtube video where it was no longer there and the guy filming said it was moved. I should be there June 1st. Hope they didn't scrap it. :(

23. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    An amazing aircraft indeed, the F-111F. Much like a hard wing F-4, not much would go faster, faster.

24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Is it true that the F35 and F22 have better stealth than the F117?

25. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    No, purely on radar stealth, they are equally capable of low radar signatures.

The differentiating factor with the F-117 is it is an obsolete platform to carry ordinance to the battlefield. The F-117 is an aged airframe and with gripes and rumors that the radar absorbing skin is a bit of a hassle to maintain even after a intense rainstorm, that makes it an expensive platform to keep airborne.