EZ Power Steering kit | FerrariChat

EZ Power Steering kit

Discussion in '308/328' started by ATSAaron, Feb 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
  2. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013

Anything useful here Aaron ?

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/mondial-power-steering-sucess-story.352412/

I seem to recall someone saying years ago that the master spline was the wrong size or had ended up in the wrong place relative to the UJ it was going into ?

3. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    Yes. He doesn’t even mention the lower yoke, which makes me thing it was not a problem on his at all. I have emailed the manufacturer asking for a replacement lower splined adapter.

Aaron

4. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013

Keep us posted.
    Once you find the issue, or get some helpful feedback from the supplier, any images would be useful.

5. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Why would any 308/328 owner install an electric power steering unit in their car ? lol Isnt it one of the perfect designs engineered into these cars, the point being the direct connection to the road, no buffers !!! I dont think Niki Lauda ever talked about power steering in the 308 when he drafted his input into the design of this great machine. Im just curious about the thought process here .

Thank you

6. BrockBenson

BrockBenson Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2018
    Australia
    From my perspective 308's can be a little heavy at low speed, and the electric conversion is great in that it doesn't affect the directness of the OEM steering, unlike hydraulic power steering systems!

7. BrockBenson

BrockBenson Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2018
    Australia
    Hi Aaron, I can't answer your spline question, but anytime I'm under the dash, I remove the seat and have some high density foam I drop in the low parts of the floor. It makes it just a little less back breaking :)

Saabguy and ATSAaron like this.
  8. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "
    "Why would any 308/328 owner install an electric power steering unit in their car ?"

IMO, the steering is much too heavy for such a small car. I owned much larger/heavier muscle cars with manual steering back in the day that were easier to handle at low/parking speeds. I investigated installing a PS unit in my 328 but I discovered that it required cutting a section out of the body to allow the unit to mount. I'm fine with mods but personally, I don't like to make any that can't be unbolted/removed to put it back stock.

As far as what Nicki Lauda "envisioned," we really don't know. He might have said, "It needs power steering," and Enzo might have said, "I don't care anything about our road cars so I'm not spending one lira more than I have to to get the dang thing on the road; let 'em deal with the stiff steering!" :p

BrockBenson, maurice70 and ginoBBi512 like this.
  9. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    For me, I love the feel and feedback of the oem rack and pinion. Im 56 and whether turning the steering wheel at 0 mph, or at whatever speed,it never feels heavy, or gets me tired, in fact it feels just right, and to tell you the truth, for me, I dont think any other car in the world, except an F 40 / 308 / 512 BBi, 288 GTO, or any other Ferrari with no buffer between the rack and the pavement would feel as good .The resistance is what feels so good !! Dont do it !! lol

Thank you

10. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I agree that the OEM steering is a great experience when moving down the road; parallel parking is a different sort of experience... ;)

As I recall - which may be faulty since it's been a while since I was checking into it - the PS unit in question can be set to vary its level of assist based on speed. If so, it could make the parking/low speed stuff fairly "light" but have no effect on the feel at driving speed.

In any case, I'll be interested in the OP's experience with driving the car once the spline thing is sorted! :) Sorry I can't help with that.

Diehl Jones likes this.
  11. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    The need for power steering is kind of unique to my situation. I have to park in a single car garage that is 90 degrees from my driveway. The approach is a little narrow, so it basically takes two lock to lock turns of the wheel to get in or out of there.

I am also installing the Superformance fast ratio steering rack at the same time, which I know will increase the steering effort.

The power steering is speed dependent and I need to reach out to the manufacture, but I believe the steering effort is adjustable via a potentiometer.

12. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Electric steering assist for sub 10mph sounds great. No real need above that speed in my opinion, but that's my opinion.
    The bees knees would be increased ratio and assist for garage/shop parking, lock to lock spinning is a real pita, I've been known to just drag out the floor jack and wiggle them around, for a small car the steering is pig heavy at slow speed.

Saabguy and thorn like this.
  13. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    You don't know what you're talking about.

Quick rack and this power steering unit is a game changer for the better.

The Power steering does not change the feel and feedback during normal driving one bit. If you turn it off you don't know it's there. You can adjust it so it only works when you want it to. The rest of the time it does nothing and you can't tell the difference.

14. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Aaron, I got nothing about the power steering but I have a thing for blue 308s. You have more pics of your car posted somewhere?

15. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    My blue car has ez power steering

Image Unavailable, Please Login

kiwiokie and BillyD like this.
  16. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    #16 ginoBBi512, Feb 26, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2021

I dont think so, but to each his own, its not a game changer for the better, its a game changer for slow steering easiness, its that simple . Any assist , electric or not, is not going to feel the same. Stop with the nonsense, and your buffered steering racks lol . What happens to the return when the rear end swings around ? Whats your electric feedback going to feel like ? The 3x8s are suppose to feel like a race kart , not an electric wheel chair. If Ferrari thought it would make the car better, they would have engineered it . The only issue, if its an issue at all, is that Ferrari should have machined the motor for the 308 / 328 to produce 300 HP. Otherwise the 308 / 328 are PERFECT DRIVING MACHINES , AND THAT INCLUDES THE NON ASSISTED STEERING RACK !! lol

Thank you,

17. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    By the way, the 308 / 328s were not made for normal DRIVERS or normal DRIVING . Toyota Corollas were.

Thank you

Jakuzzi likes this.
  18. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    You should stop posting. Clearly you don't understand how this system works.

ATSAaron likes this.
  19. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    One only need to look at the fuse box in a 308/328, and compare it to any Toyota of the era.... and then tell me that "better" couldn't have been an option in the design stage. In an era that the rest of the world was using blade fuses, Ferrari was still using torpedoes from the 1950s. ;)

tomberlin, JCR and ginoBBi512 like this.
  20. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO

Any system that changes the steering, or piggy backs the steering, or assists , is going to change the way it feels, its that simple. If it does not change the way it feels, why is one going to install it ? , Its for people whos arms are getting weak and do not want to feel the natural resistance in the steering rack.

Thank you

21. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    It's not your car. You haven't installed the system. You have no experience. Why are you wasting everyone's time on this thread?

22. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    They did make the design better , or maybe not ? My 89 328s fuse board lasted 32 years, and it still does not have any assisted steering, and by the way, they could not have done anything better when it comes to the purest form of a driving machine other than the 3x8s not having 300 HP , so they built F40 ,and well, I dont think it had assisted steering.

Thank you

Jakuzzi likes this.
  23. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Peter,
    Gorgeous, black interior?
    My GTB had been blue/blue and some fool changed it to red/tan. I'm pretty sure if I had it when it was blue/blue it would still be in my garage even with me fretting over sodium valves and rust.
    My unicorn is a dry sump blue 77 GTB with the valves done and from a dry climate

24. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    You're simply wrong. You have no idea. You need to stop.

afterburner likes this.
  25. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Black interior but blue carpets.